Chittenden Locks in Ballard, WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That brings up a good point that I think I neglected to mention. Fender up both sides of the boat on approach. Then you are ready for either side tie in the small lock, and for any sort of rafting or other bumper cars activity.

That brings up a good point that I think I neglected to mention. Fender up both sides of the boat on approach. Then you are ready for either side tie in the small lock, and for any sort of rafting or other bumper cars activity.

And if you don't have enough fenders to fully fender both sides, now's the time to fix that. If you travel, you'll enter many locks without knowing which side they'll put you on, and you'll end up at a marina with other boats rafted to you.

I was in Seattle last week and took the opportunity to watch the "Circus" at the Chittenden Locks. This can be quite entertaining and a guy in a single screw with no bow thruster provided the entertainment! He had a "hell uv a time" trying to line his boat up on one side of the lock. Meanwhile the lock personnel were yelling at him from both sides! After ascertaining that the real show was on the fly bridge, I switched my stare to the boat's pilot & watched as he turned several shades of red, but to his credit he did not pass out! You just couldn't stop feeling sorry for the poor SOB.

When I was a kid, we didn't live too far from 'the locks'. We used to go there on sunny Sunday afternoons when the boats were returning to lakes Union and Washington. A Circus is an apt description and better entertainment for a kid would be hard to find. Yelling, screaming, swearing, bumper-car boats, lots of drunkenness. But sometimes, you'd see some old guy driving a classic boat who was above the fray and would just grease his boat into a tight spot effortlessly, staying clear of the chaos. In my boating life, I've always wanted to be that guy.

Thanks but I'm sorry all the stories you guys are telling really aren't encouraging us to take the plunge. We've got plenty of other beautiful cruising in the pnw and no necessity to enter this lock. We'll pass for now based on these stories....

Thanks but I'm sorry all the stories you guys are telling really aren't encouraging us to take the plunge. We've got plenty of other beautiful cruising in the pnw and no necessity to enter this lock. We'll pass for now based on these stories....

Wifey B: Why did the chicken cross the road? Answer that and you have your answer.

We had to go check the lake out, that wasn't optional in our minds. So, there's a lock to get there, you go through it. We went very early, were waiting at 7:00 AM. Not crowded for first trip through. Only mildly crowded on the return trip. It looks like a giant clusterf... but it really isn't. We don't like rafting but you know you're going to so you just prepare. Really Lake Union and Lake Washington were worth it to us. We wanted to see. It was a very nice day. :)

I'd recommend you go through the locks. If you are confident (and competent) in your ability to handle your boat you will do well. Going to the lock a day ahead of your passage to watch how it's done will relieve a lot of your anxiety.

It's really not as bad as many make it out to be. There are thousands of boats every week that pass through the locks. VERY FEW every have any issues and most of those are the "once a year skipper" or are drunk.

Be patient, take your time and do what you know how to do when it comes to handling your vessel.

thanks these are all good inputs and you're probably right we should try it. Maybe we'll wait until Sept or Oct...
thanks again for all the feedback!

thanks these are all good inputs and you're probably right we should try it. Maybe we'll wait until Sept or Oct...
thanks again for all the feedback!

I think you are worrying much more than you need to. Assuming you can handle your boat, it's really not a big deal. And even in the peak season, all you really need to do is avoid the weekends. And if you want even more calm, avoid late afternoons inbound during the week. The drama comes from people who have no clue how to handle a boat.

Not mentioned much in this thread is boat speed entering a lock. We've passed through hundreds of locks (East Coast, Canada, Europe, PNW) without issues. One observation - the best skippers take it slow. I once heard someone say you don't go any faster than the speed you'd want to run into another boat. Slow and steady, taking the lock attendant's directions, getting your position right the first time = piece of cake.

I always ask the lock attendants for advice (Zen mind, Beginner's mind) and don't assume this lock down/up will be the same as the last. In general, the attendants are friendly and helpful and, as experienced as I am at locks, they are more experienced since they do it all day every day and have probably seen about everything there is to go both right and wrong...

we've been through the locks many times. It can be intimidating the first few times, but's really quite easy. The lock masters are good at letting people know what the need to do. It is something to plan for, but not worry about. Here's some helpful info straight from the folks that know.

Boater Information

Back
Top Bottom