Old 09-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #1

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Can you identify this location?

I normally don't like shots from the dinghy,* but this one turned out OK.* Can you identify the location?* Do you have other "Name that place shots"?

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1007211&aBID=115492[/img]

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

RE: Can you identify this location?

Sucia Island?

Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -

Looks like Ewing (sp?) Cove on Sucia with Mt. Baker in the distance.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

Quote:
bobc wrote:
Do you have other "Name that place shots"?
The first three are from the same general area and should be pretty easy for anyone who's cruised there.* The fourth photo is closer to home but I suspect will be a lot harder to figure out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	7593   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	7594   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	7595   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	7596  
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

Nope, not Sucia, but that is Mt Baker.* (Hint, look at the color of the mooring buoy).

-- Edited by bobc on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 07:45:15 AM
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #6

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

eagle harbor

love the free bouy
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
bshanafelt wrote:
eagle harbor

love the free bouy
You win the prize!* How'd you know what the prize was?* This was my first time visiting Cypress.* This shot was taken a few weeks ago.* I hope to go back when I have more time to explore the trails.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

Eagle Harbor is neat. We went there for the first time this past spring and intend to go back this fall and winter when the crowds are gone. We're told the views from the top of the big hill are great but I think that particular trail is closed in the winter.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Guru

The giveaway was that you're in only 20 feet of water. The inside bouys are in 5 feet at low tide. Same place, different angle.

-- Edited by 2bucks on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 03:20:34 PM

-- Edited by 2bucks on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 03:21:27 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001a.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	7607  
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive

Love Eagle Harbor.* Watch out for the very shallow bar near the inside buoy's.* It is on the charts.* One of our favorite places.

Keith Olive

LaConner K-dock

Willard 30
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #11

I took the dinghy ashore in Eagle Harbor at low tide and had a hard time landing. I rowed in, but still ran out of water several feet from dry land. I finally found a spot to land on the southwest corner.

Marin, you're going to have to give us some more hints, I'm afraid. I'm guessing the first three pictures are somewhere north of Vancouver. The peak in the distance on the fourth picture looks like it might be Mt Erie, but I haven't got a clue as to what harbor that's in. The docks should be a dead giveaway.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

We found the best place to land in Eagle Harbor is on the little beach on the west side instead of the larger beach at the head of the bay.* Even at low water, getting up to the little beach in the dinghy*is easy.

THe first three of my photos were all taken north of Powell River.* The first one marks a big moment in every northbound boater's journey.* The second photo is something that's talked about a lot in the book "Spillsbury's Coast."* The third photo is approaching an entrance from the inside and there are lots of rocks and ledges between our boat and the gap in the distance.

Mt. Erie is not in the fourth photo but you're in the right neighborhood.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 28th of September 2011 10:20:16 PM
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #13

Marin, I give. I haven't cruised up North, so I don't really know the Powell River area. I tried to find something matching the 4th picture using Google Maps, but can't. It looks like a nice spot.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

When I used to fly in Hawaii you could show me a photo of a small section of island coastline from any of the islands and I could immediatly name exactly where it was.* But it's a lot different looking at things from a boat, especially in the huge complex of islands, channels, and bays from here on north.* If I hadn't taken the photos I doubt I could identify any of the first three photos either except possibly the second one, and that only because I've read so many books about this particular area.

The first shot is Sarah Point at the top end of the Malaspina Penninsula.* The penninsula itself is pretty featureless as you cruise along the west side of it toward Desolation Sound. Then you get to Sarah Point and the islands and the coast range all appear as you turn the corner.

The second photo is Savary Island, which is why I made the referece to the book Spillsbury's Coast.* The author grew up on this island.

The third photo is really tough unless one knows the area fairly intimately.* It's the top end of Malaspina Inlet, approaching the entrance to the inlet from the inside.* So the boat is heading northwest.* We had spent some time in Grace Harbor, which is reached from the inside of Malaspina Inlet and we were on our way to Prideaux Haven when I took this shot.

The fourth photo, while close to home, would be really tough for even long-time boaters in this area to identify because they would have no reason to go here.* It's Reads Bay at the south end of Decatur Island, between Decatur and Center Island.* We have property on Center and take the boat down there regularly (our boat is in the distance in the photo).* All the land on Center and Decatur is private with no access for the public.* All the docks and mooring buoys on both shores are private as well.* The docks in the photo are the Center Island Association docks.* The little white building on shore houses Center Island's reverse-osmosis desalinization plant, the first one to be installed in the San Juans.* It has recently been doubled in capacity and it provides so much potable water that the island's wells have no longer needed except for emergency backup from the day the original plant went on line.*

It's a wonderful place to go because with no public*shore access and no mooring facilities other than anchoring, the only boats and boaters back here are local.* The foot ferry Paraclete comes through a few times a day to pick up and drop off property owners at Center and over at the Decatur Shores dock on the other side.

First photo is the view from the mooring buoys.* Lopez Sound is in the distance to the left.* Second shot is our boat with some of the Decatur Shores houses in the background.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 10:17:48 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	perouse1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	7738   Click image for larger version

Name:	center 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	7739  
Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #15

I wouldn't have figured that out. From the picture I thought I was looking out of a small harbor. In fact, I had suspected the little bay at the South tip of Decatur, but I couldn't see any docks that matched the picture. You're right about no reason to go there. I've always past Center Island to the West. I've anchored in nearby Hunter Bay several times. The next trip through Lopez Pass I think I swing in there for a look. Do you take the southern exit out of Reads Bay? It looks a bit shallow.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Boats like ours can go through the narrow southern pass but be very careful entering the bay itself (or exiting it through the pass).* A very shallow bar extends a long way into the bay from just south of the Center Island Association docks.* If it's a minus tide I'd be leary of going through there at all as based on the depth sounder on our dinghy there are some big humps of bottom that come up between the south shore of Center and the south end of Decatur.

The bay itself has good holding in a mud bottom although you can't go ashore anywhere unless you're a property owner.* There is a marked (but not very well) power cable crossing from the long bar over to Decatur.* The more obvious sign is on the Center Island end.* There a lot of private mooring buoys along the east side of Center and the west side of Decatur Shores.

The bay is well protected from the east, south, and west.* Not so much from the northwest if the wind picks up from that direction as there's a pretty long fetch across Lopez Sound and Read's Bay.* It can bounce you around pretty good.

There is a small but popular little anchorage south of Center tucked into the southwestern end of Decatur just inside Lopez Pass.* There are often two or three boats there stern tied to the little island in the cove.* This is the island with the famous "nobody has a clue what it is" concrete blockhouse structure on it.* The big gravel berm that separates this cove from Rosario Strait is accessible to the public so far as I know.* The whole south tip of Decatur is a wildlife preserve.*

Be very, very careful if you decide to anchor in there (if you haven't already and so are aware of this) because the little cove goes dry or nearly so at low tide between the island and the gravel bar.* We've seen a few sailboats aground and leaning over at a pretty severe angle when the tide went out.

If you anchor in Read's Bay be aware you'll probably get hit by a fair number of boat wakes during the day from the locals (and the Paraclete).* Most of the boats are smaller--- 16-25 feet--- but they can put out quite a wake if they're plowing or coming on or off the plane.** We're use to it but we've had friends come down in their boats and they didn't care too much for it.* Don't raft on your or someone elses's anchor--- your boats could take something of a beating.

The photo is from the big gravel berm and shows the little cove, the "concrete mystery" island, Center Island in the left background, and Read's Bay and the main part of Decatur with the sheep pasture on the hill*off to the right.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 11:27:14 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	center 3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	7740  
Old 10-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Here's an easy one for you.

Lyle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	picture 211 (medium).jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	7773  
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Yea *...Turn Point. Lotta ships make the big turn there. Been by it many times when we lived in Arlington and kept our boat in Everett and then LaConnor. We walked the beach just south of the point once *... assessed the beach walking over the island *...Henry ..I think.

Here's 3 even easier:

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 6th of October 2011 09:53:21 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	all to 12-15-09 157.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	7776   Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 178.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	7777   Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 181.jpg
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	7778  
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive

This should be easy for some folks.* It was our first time here this summer.

Keith Olive

Willard 30

LaConner
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	where.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	7779  
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #20
Scraping Paint

Eric--*Not at all confident about*the first one but it sure looks familiar. Is it at or near Prideaux Haven by chance?*

Second one is Butedale Cannery. That must be a pretty old photo as many of those buildings were gone or collapsing when we flew in there for the first time with the Beaver in 1985. I understand from friends who were there three years ago that there is almost nothing left now although there is still a caretaker. But I don't recall that the big building on the left was there in 1985.* Just the big concrete platform on piles that the buidling stood on. That first trip we tied the plane to a half-sunk dock in front of the store (building in front*on the right).**There were actually still a few items*on the shelves inside--- I recall jars of*mustard among other things---*although the store was closed and was starting to fall apart. *

In following years that dock was gone so*we'd land in the big*lake up behind the cannery (where the waterfall and*pipeline that*brings water to*the*turbine generator building come from)*and eat our picnic lunch.* Butedale was a good take-a-break point between Kenmore Air Harbor and Prince Rupert which was our destination for the day.

Third shot looks like Petersburg, not because I recognize the docks but because I recognize the hills on the other side of the channel.* I've landed in that channel more times than I can remember.

Keith--- This*is entering Desolation Sound after passing or rounding Sarah Point at the tip of the Malaspina Peninsula.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 7th of October 2011 01:14:16 AM