Old 10-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #81
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Can you identify this location?

The two pictographs are from going to Princess Louisa last summer.* One is a little south of the entrance to Vancouver Bay and the other is across from Marlborough Heights.* Very cool images.

Keith Olive

Willard 30

-- Edited by kolive on Friday 14th of October 2011 02:13:47 PM

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #82
Veteran Member

RE: Can you identify this location?

Here's a few softballs for Marin to thank him for his contributions.* On #5 we need the location, and ID the boat and a/c type.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 pnw 024 080508 019.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	8003   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 pnw 052 080509 036.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	8009   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 pnw 082 080522 001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	8010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 pnw 322 080803a 163.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	8011   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 pnw 337 080803a 197.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	8012  

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: -

Bellingham Cold Storage ice machine, Active Cove on Patos Island, Garrison Bay (site of English Camp) on San Juan Island, Malibu Rapids, and Princess Louisa. We've not been to Princess Louisa by boat (contemplating maybe next fall) but have been in there many times in the Beaver. The boat's a Grand Banks but not so sure about the plane. My guess (or one guess) would be a Maule but I wouldn't bet any money on it. I suppose it could also be a Super Cub but it looks to me to be a bit too big for that. Another possibility could be a Citabria. The short wings are what led me to put that one in the list.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 17th of October 2011 05:52:58 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #84
Veteran Member

All correct.* I just finished looking at as many Google photos as I could find of the float plane choices and agree*Maule is the best bet.

cheers
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #85
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

The give away is it's lack of any dihedral and short stubby wings.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #86
Scraping Paint

Actually I got so focused on the wings and the paint job I forgot the doors. So it couldn't be a Citabria or a Super Cub because those planes are both tandem-place airplanes, not side-by-sides. As I've flown both Super Cubs and Citabrias you would think I would have remembered that but it's funny how you get focused on one thing and totally overlook a more important, really obvious thing. The reason I was and still am somewhat skeptical that the plane is a Maule is that the wings seem too short to me for a Maule (a plane I came very close to purchasing once so I've been around them some) , and while it's not as much as some other makes, a Maule does have dihedral in the wings (see photo).

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 12:17:37 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maulejpg.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	8058  
Old 10-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #87
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Oh yes Definitely not a Maule now that I see that picture. I did notice it was a side by side but the flat wing has me stumped. Must be a homebuilt.

Could it be a TriPacer w droop tips? Don't see many homebuilts on floats. Notice how the cabin sides bulge a bit *...not slab sided at all.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 03:33:05 PM
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #88
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Could it be a TriPacer w droop tips? Don't see many homebuilts on floats. Notice how the cabin sides bulge a bit *...not slab sided at all.
Don't think it's a Tri Pacer.* They*have diagnonal braces running from the outside upper surface of each horizontal stabilizer to partway up the*tail and I don't see that on the plane in the photo.* Also,*Tri-Pacers require an additional ventral fin when they are put on floats--- they need bigger feathers at the back of the arrow to keep their directional stability within bounds.* I dont' see a ventral fin on the plane in the photo, either.

I don't see any significant*bulge to the fuselage. The sides look pretty*flat to me, which is typical of fabric-covered planes which this appears to be.* The taper of the fuselage from the**tail to the cabin from this camera angle*makes it appear the sides might be bulging but I don't think they are.

There are some two-place and even four-place kitplanes that can be put on floats. I don't bother to keep up with the developments in kit and sport planes as there are so many of them and they come and go with great regularity.* Besides, none of them will do what we need to do with a floatplane so they aren't something that I would have any use for.* So it very well could be one of them.

However the floats on the plane seem to be mainstream floats--- they look like all-aluminum*Edos to me.* The few kitplanes I have seen or seen photos of on floats have had floats made specifically*for these smaller planes, usually out of fiberglass with flat tops.* The floats in the photo appear to have slightly curved tops which was an Edo characteristic in all but their largest floats.

Be interesting to know what the plane really is.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 06:16:51 PM

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 06:19:04 PM
Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Attached are two photos that influenced my vote for Maule.* The first shows the distinctive shape of the horizontal stabilizer and the second shows a model with little or no wing dihederal.* I have very little experience in plane spotting but all the time in the world for interweb surfing.*

cheers
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #90
Scraping Paint

All Maule models have some dihedral. The wide angle lens used in the second shot masks the dihedral that's there. And the dead-on rear camera angle of your photo makes it difficult to tell if that wing is truly straight across or not. Most "established" designs like Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft, Maule, de Havilland, etc. use some dihedral in the wing--- it contributes to the plane's inherent stability.

The Maule is a good plane on floats although the rearward extension of the floats limits the dramatic takeoffs the plane is capable of on wheels. But a Maule would use one of the smaller Edo floats, which is what the floats in your photo appear to be.

So at this point I'd say a Maule is as good a guess as any and probably better than most. From having been around them, though, I just don't remember the wings being that short. But perhaps the paint job is providing some of that illusion. The one I came close to buying was painted like your second photo only red.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #91
Veteran Member

I think we have a consensus it's a Maule, but I'll add my vote for "its a Maule".

2 wing struts per side, no jury struts

Elevator shape, with trim tab on left

Short ailerons and long flaps, wing tip shape

Maule wing span is only 33 feet

I think I see a hint of the tube and fabric fuselage, but no hint of ribs and fabric in wings (Maules have fabric fuselage and aluminum wing skins)

Its a side by side with doors on each side, rear door on right side

For the clincher, look at http://www.mauleairinc.com/IMAGES/20...rut/index.html*photos 2 and 14 have similar views of what*are for sure Maules.

The Maules on floats also have ventral fins but if you blow the mystery plane photo up to 200% you can see a hint of ventral fin.

Bill

-- Edited by Island Cessna on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 12:38:37 AM

-- Edited by Island Cessna on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 12:47:24 AM
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #92
Scraping Paint

I agree there is a lot of similarity between the original posted photo and a Maule. And it may be a Maule. But one thing that's missing in the posted photo is there is no ventral fin on the plane. I don't know what the faint line is that extends down below the tail is, but it does not block off the rear spreader bar. So whatever it is-- reflection?--- it's not solid. As I said originally, my first guess is a Maule but I would not bet money on it.