Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #61
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
We where going to try making it out there this year and meet some of you but family stuff and work intruded upon our plans. Post pics of the get together please.
Sorry to hear you won't be making it this time. Hope you can join us on a future rendezvous. We'll have to weed out the incriminating pics, but we'll post what is allowed by the rules.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Well we are heading the oposite direction for the 4th.....We go to South Beach Marina every year to escape the heat.....but this year.....we will be departing the Antioch area the morning of the 2nd and would like to stay somewhere west of Benicia. Any good ideas? The following morning we will head into SF.
jlamb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #63

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
A nice stop over on the way to SF is Vallejo. There are a couple of nice restaurants on the water front and your within reasonable distance to SF for the following day.

The Sardine Can is one of our favorites but not high end at all. They have good Calamari strips.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #64
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Vallejo Marina would be a good stopping point. Try to time your arrival with a higher tide (above 2 feet MLLW). The marina doesn't plan to begin dredging until August.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #65
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The southern side of K dock has no depth problems for typical motorboat drafts except for a short stretch inside the entrance. With my 3'8" draft, haven't had a problem at MLLW. Lots of room in K dock.

The shallow part is forward of the under-way ketch.

Sounding a prolonged horn blast entering and exiting the marina isn't frowned upon. Mike, the US Power Squadron official living here, might even compliment you for demonstrating Colreg knowledge.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #66

Our 1983 Grand Banks 42 is currently homeported in Olympia on Budd Inlet in Puget Sound. We are giving thought to relocating to the Delta to be nearer our home in Arizona. Would appreciate thoughts and comments, both positive and negative. Thanks, Mel
melkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #67
TF Site Team

Mel,

Welcome to the forum! Great question that's likely to generate significant discussion. Would probably be deserving of its own thread for better exposure.

Personally, I think it's a great idea if you could ever get used to plenty of sunshine and lack of rain while boating. Being an Arizonan, it should be an easy transition. ;-)

To any current Delta boaters, we'll be anchored on Mildred's tomorrow night. If you're in the area, c'mon by and say hi.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #68
Guru

Al, where exactly do you anchor on Mildred?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 06-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #69
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Al, where exactly do you anchor on Mildred?
I enter at the NE corner (the point of the original levee failure) and proceed to the west shore about 1/4 mile south of the pilings at the NW end. There is a steady 15 ft depth and good muddy anchorage.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkowal
Our 1983 Grand Banks 42 is currently homeported in Olympia on Budd Inlet in Puget Sound. We are giving thought to relocating to the Delta to be nearer our home in Arizona. Would appreciate thoughts and comments, both positive and negative. Thanks, Mel
I think it could work out well. I'm not sure if you'd want to fly into SFO but there are plenty of flights to AZ. Maybe come check it out. There are some places to stay, like the cabins at B&W, and you could rent a ski or fishing boat at tower park or someplace and check things out before you decide. The marinas are filling up again so you'd have to see if you can find a slip at a marina you like.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #71
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkowal View Post
Hi again Mel...

Linda and I look forward to meeting you and wife some day, in SF Delta - or thereabouts. I clearly recall the extensive PM’s regarding same you and I accomplished a few months ago. Glad to see you becoming active in TF!

From the many helpful boaters here I believe you will find answers to all you desire to learn for the transition of keeping your beloved GB at some location in SF Delta waters... for experiencing super-relaxing boating-fun. Fairly quick access to SF Bay and Pacific points beyond too.

Welcome aboard!

Cheers!! Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #72
TF Site Team

Had a great weekend in Mildred's Island. Headed out with best friend Gene on Sat AM. PGirl texted us that she and PGuy were heading out and could make it, and as Gene and I were joining up near Riverboat Marina, PG fell in line and we had us a convoy!

Just as we set the hook, we were pleasantly surprised by the by a 4-ship fly-by of Patriots Jet Team conducting a practice show. They are based in nearby Byron and we were anchored within their practice box. It was a great show that I tried to pass off to the Admiral as something I had pre-arranged. She didn't buy it.

The wind was howling at 20 kts or better throughout Saturday, so that put the brakes on planned watersports, but we still found ways to have fun. It started with Gene dropping anchor a bit close, then having to start up engines to relocate. Only problem was his batteries were killed by a boat detailer 3 weeks ago (long story...) and he only discovered it on Friday. Hoping he had charged them enough for the weekend, he soon found he had dead starts and house banks. Even the genset was not much help. So it's off to Costco via Malibu ski boat and brother-in-law's car for a set of Group 31 starts and 4 GC house batts. Three hrs later, all was well.

Sunday we woke up to the sounds of a Lake Amphibian seaplane practicing takeoffs and landings near us on Mildred Island.

It was great to spend some time with Matt and Jennifer on the water. My trial of my cheap refrigerator connected to my cheap inverter went without a hitch. The beer and food stayed cold and the battery loads were well within limits for our house bank, so we're a go for July 4th week!!

Good friends, good food and good drink. Can't wait to do it again next week!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03197.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #73
Guru

Looks like you guys had a great trip. Vickie and I will join in from July 2nd through the 5th or 6th. Did you set a stern anchor or just swing from the bow?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #74
Master and Commander

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

If one believes in them, the long range forecast for the Fourth of July week are daily-high temperatures of about 100 degrees, or about 10 degrees over the historical average. Quite a change from the cool temps experienced currently. Nights supposedly will cool down into the sixties.

Doesn't appear the Coot's propeller shaft will be fixed by the Fourth. But hope to see a complete accounting of your adventures.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #75
TF Site Team

Quote:
Looks like you guys had a great trip. Vickie and I will join in from July 2nd through the 5th or 6th. Did you set a stern anchor or just swing from the bow?
Great to hear, Ray. Tell Vickie that Meg will be onboard until July 4 or 5. I'd love for her to stay the whole week...I'm still working on it.

We just swung on the hook without stern anchors. Gene started to drag, so we relocated from between his and PG to allow more toom and let out more of his scope while Gene was on his battery run. Unlike Mandeville, there's no real current in Mildred, so stern anchors are usually used there only by large raftups. Most singles just swing with the wind. In Mandeville, the stern anchor is the norm, especially during the 4th when it gets crowded.

Mark, I'm really disappointed that it doesn't look like you and Perla will be able to make the week. I sure hope your new parts arrive today and get installed immediately.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

We had never been to Mildred before so we were happy to have two great guides, Al and Gene, to lead the way and give us pointers! I have some photos on my camera at home that I will upload and post later. It was windy but I don't mind the wind half as much when I am in the Delta as compared to the SF Bay. Prob b'c I am otherwise warm! It did keep it from being too hot, which it sounds like it might be for the fourth. Guess we'll be spending time in the water to keep cool.

Ray, we look forward to seeing you next week!

Here is one photo from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0714.jpg  
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
If one believes in them, the long range forecast for the Fourth of July week are daily-high temperatures of about 100 degrees, or about 10 degrees over the historical average. Quite a change from the cool temps experienced currently. Nights supposedly will cool down into the sixties.
Mark I checked weather.com and the worst I see in the forecast is 91 for Tuesday. What forecast are you looking at? I'm sorry to hear your boat won't be fixed yet.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 06-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It was nice to have so much space that we only needed the bow anchor. The wind did move us around a fair bit but we had plenty of room from Gene's boat.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #79
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Mark I checked weather.com and the worst I see in the forecast is 91 for Tuesday. What forecast are you looking at?
Some weather forecast internet site but I can't seem to recreate my original search done earlier today. Now see the forecast you describe. Whew! if one can believe it.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Some weather forecast internet site but I can't seem to recreate my original search done earlier today. Now see the forecast you describe. Whew! if one can believe it.
ok I'm hoping for the best! Upper 80s to low 90s sounds pretty good compared to 100!
San Francisco Bay Area