Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #21

City: Northern California
The CMA campus and training vessel Golden Bear at the Carquinez Straits, where I learned to handle slightly bigger boats.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quiet little secluded cove we are anchored in now. Light rain that's made it all the more peaceful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1907483730.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	19796   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1866083233.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	19797   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1787450550.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	19798  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The training ship California Bear has left its berth for the annual training mission, this time to points south (Cabo San Lucas, and so on).

Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Quiet little secluded cove we are anchored in now. Light rain that's made it all the more peaceful.

Shhhhhhhhh...

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #25

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The training ship California Bear has left its berth for the annual training mission, this time to points south (Cabo San Lucas, and so on).

I was in the lucky class that got to sail on the old steam turbine Golden Bear as a freshman and the one pictured as a Senior. Also did Cabo, Chile, Easter Island and Hawaii.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Anchored at Port Ludlow, WA. The orange marks 200 feet.

Name:	image-1276649335.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	19804
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-868573781.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	19805   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2298316725.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	19806   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1041908055.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	19807  
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #27
Guru

200' of water will not happen here in the Delta. This is skinny water cruising here. Went soft aground about an hour ago.

Al you notice I didn't give GPS coordinates.

Here's a shot of my harbor masters house as we where coming in today(just before grounding). The sailboat looks like a piece of furniture, the photo doesn't do it justice. And finally the view out our window as we eat dinner at the local eatery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3592650745.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	19809   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3437575323.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	19810   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4163163081.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	19811  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #28
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
CP, that was 200 feet of chain in 40 feet of water. Still no risk of running aground though. Does the tide float you off or do you get help?
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #29
Guru

Neither in today's case. I was having issues today with my depth sounder locking up for an as yet unknown reason. I knew an uncharted shoal existed in the vicinity so was moving at idle speed. Low tide sure didn't help.

Just waited a minute for the current to spin my bow into deeper water, had the passengers grab the cooler and stern anchor and head up to the bow, gunned it a bit as soon as I felt the running gear break from the soft mud and we where off.

My only concern was watching water temp and flow from my exhaust tips. Neither was ever an issue.

I now know the shoal is longer than it was thought to be before so added to the local knowledge database if you will.

Funny part was I listened in on the VHF just an hour earlier as Vessel Assist was talking to someone who caught that same shoal in a 40' trawler. The price of skinny water boating, just a little extra adventure for the day. No big deal really.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Funny part was I listened in on the VHF just an hour earlier as Vessel Assist was talking to someone who caught that same shoal in a 40' trawler. The price of skinny water boating, just a little extra adventure for the day. No big deal really.
Not for me....I guess I'm a deep water sailor.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Very nice. Thanks for saring. Many many moons ago I used to swim in the Sacramento river with my dad.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Tropical Blend
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Gee, no pictures of the squalid structures of the Mayberry Slough squatters.
Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender Boy View Post
Gee, no pictures of the squalid structures of the Mayberry Slough squatters.
None yet, haven't made it by there. The truth is this whole region had benefited from being our playground for many decades. When the economy went in the ditch many formerly beautiful, thriving areas didn't fare well. Entertainment and recreation budgets are the first casualties we all know. Bethel Island and Lost Isle come to mind.

This weekend was slow by past standards but a major lift to the area businessman I spoke with. Best Memorial Day weekend in years they universally told me. Times are far from flush but the business that have survived are coming back stronger than before with many ongoing improvement projects in the private sector locally.

Walt, Al will take care of you and show you the shoals to look out for. If you happen to soft ground just wait for the tide or call Vessel Assist if your in a hurry. V/A is only ten minutes away at Bethel Island.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #34

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Craig, what a beautiful sailboat!

Thanks everyone for the pictures, love it.

E
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I had some, but just searched my files and can't find 'em. It's not like it used to be, though.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #36
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Lovin these pics of your cruising area.

Thanks
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Quote:
None yet, haven't made it by there. The truth is this whole region had benefited from being our playground for many decades. When the economy went in the ditch many formerly beautiful, thriving areas didn't fare well. Entertainment and recreation budgets are the first casualties we all know. Bethel Island and Lost Isle come to mind.
In my soon-to-be past life, we were docked at Antioch marina - we had a Seray 380DA, which is now for sale in Perry's (your home base, I think). Anyway, in the late 90's, we discovered Mayberry Slough, which connects the San Juaquin to Sherman Lake and the Sac River. Just west of the Antioch Bridge, the slough splits into two sections. Very few people transit through the narrow section, so we put some lines on the bank, and most summer weekends it was just us with the blackberries, river otters, and racoons.

That idyllic spot was ruined when some old goat had a number of decrepit lash barges hauled in and secured to the bank, complete with a half-sunken crane. After a couple of years there, he hauled in an old floating restaurant. Then, somebody torched it all, littering the slough with charred fiberglass and rusted supports for the barges. But really, I was out of town when that happened (I actually was in the Caribbean!). Sadly, he brought in a couple of more barges, complete with old trailers on top of them. He eventually grew his junk collection to include an old motorhome sitting inside one of the hollowed-out barges. It's a complete eyesore, and he is obviously dumping sewage and garbage into the river - and Sacramento County lets him get away with it.

I'll search my archives to post a picture of the slew, before and after. That junkpile encouraged other squatters for a few years. Someone hauled in a houseboat at lease two other boats were scuttled. Fortunately those have been gone for a few years. We haven't gone this year, as we are selling the Searay and getting ready to move our Nordhavn up here in prep for our long journey this fall. We'll definitely miss the Delta, we've had some great times there.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender Boy View Post
In my soon-to-be past life, we were docked at Antioch marina - we had a Seray 380DA, which is now for sale in Perry's (your home base, I think).
I saw your boat today when my son and I walked down to the sales dock while I enjoyed my morning cup of coffee. Great looking boat btw

Are you bringing the Nordy up to the Delta too or somewhere in the bay?

Mayberry Slough sounds like a real peach. I'll photograph it when we make it by there someday. I was thinking an Antioch run may be our next jaunt. My thought when starting this thread was showing the California Delta as a whole. The good, the bad and the ugly and it sounds like that spot has some ugly.

I returned to Bethel Island last winter, after an almost 30 year absence, while boat shopping(forgot my camera though). To say the difference was stark would be the understatement of the year. Surreal is a more apt description of this modern day ghost town. Once thriving resorts and marinas stripped of any metal worth recycling and littered with stripped fiberglass hulls with VIN and registration numbers ground off. Former docks filled with vacationers now home to some birds with vegetation growing throughout.

Hit me up with a Private Message if you guys decide to come up and use the Sea Ray.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Quote:
I saw your boat today when my son and I walked down to the sales dock while I enjoyed my morning cup of coffee. Great looking boat btw

Are you bringing the Nordy up to the Delta too or somewhere in the bay?

Mayberry Slough sounds like a real peach. I'll photograph it when we make it by there someday. I was thinking an Antioch run may be our next jaunt. My thought when starting this thread was showing the California Delta as a whole. The good, the bad and the ugly and it sounds like that spot has some ugly.

I returned to Bethel Island last winter, after an almost 30 year absence, while boat shopping(forgot my camera though). To say the difference was stark would be the understatement of the year. Surreal is a more apt description of this modern day ghost town. Once thriving resorts and marinas stripped of any metal worth recycling and littered with stripped fiberglass hulls with VIN and registration numbers ground off. Former docks filled with vacationers now home to some birds with vegetation growing throughout.

Hit me up with a Private Message if you guys decide to come up and use the Sea Ray.
We're going to be keeping Tropical Blend in Alameda, in the Grand Marina. We'll probably cruise it out to Discovery Bay over the July 4th holiday - we have friends that live there. It'll take a little bit longer than our Searay... but a lot less fuel!

We frequently cruised through Bethel Island on our way to Disco Bay, through Dutch Slough. We nicknamed this area, "The Ghetto Marina". There was supposed to be a new Disco-Bay type development there, but it never got further than setting up the fingers - it was called Delta Coves, I think.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Delta Coves.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	19840  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #40
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
The N43 is a great boat and as a former Grand Marina tenant if you havent been there before you will really like the Marina. The tenants there are excellent and I would not hesitate in returning there again in the future.

If you can get a slip on the outside of A dock it is even better with the rowers going by in the am and most people obeying the no wake rule you wont get rocked too bad.

gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote