Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
CA Delta Water Export Issues

I don't mean to be the "downer" here. But, enjoy the Delta while you can. Because once the proposed legislation-immune twin tunnels are built, which will convey water from Sacramento to Tracy (the beginning of the California Aqueduct) and on to southern California, the Delta, as we know it, will come to an end. There will be no reason to maintain the levees and infrastructure of the Delta....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
You don't think this will change anything do you?

Surely you don't think bypassing the delta with two 90' diameter tubes 180' beneath the delta will change the eco system. All the water contractors who are unselfishly funding the tunnels want to do is pump water from the relatively clean Sacramento at Freeport, any time they want, without concern for the Delta Smelt. The Delta Smelt don't like the current or fresh water created by the pumping. So the tunnels will let them pump at will.
I don't particularly care about the Delta smelt, but I do care about water quality for the Delta farmers and Delta Boaters. What these tunnels will do is remove any flushing effect the water being pumped through the surface waters of the Delta to the Aqueducts have now. The San Joaquin river water is pumped through the Grant Line Canal and Salmon Slough bypassing the central delta entirely. The waters from the Sacramento and Calavaras rivers are now diverted through the cross channel and Georgiana slough to the South Delta pumps. This has to clean the center of the Delta. The added wetlands proposed are currently not funded and will require bonds which we will have to pass and pay for. The tax payer gets to pay for the mitigation so southern ca water contractors can again rape the the Delta. Fortunately for me I will probably not be affected but, those of you boating the central and south Delta are getting screwed. The farmers in the central Delta will lose water quality and may not be able to farm the best farm land in the world while the the large agra businesses in the south San Joaquin Valley get the good Sacramento water to farm desert. The California Aqueduct ships water as far south as San Diego. The claim is this water primarily used for domestic water. However some of it ends up as Ag water. The Delta Mendota canal is used primarily as agg water. It ends in Mendota. Governor Brown wants to provide dependable water for the South Land claiming the Delta levies are in poor shape. IT WOULD BE FAR EASIER AND CHEAPER TO MAINTAIN THE LEVIES AND MAINTAIN WATER QUALITY THAN BUILD THESE TUNNELS FOR BILLIONS OF DOLLARS. Estimated to take 14 years to build and 85 or so billion of dollars. Just my opinion.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
And once the reliable and increased source of fresh water is available through the tunnels, the integrity of the levees will no longer be needed to assure quality water to points south. By pulling increasing amounts of fresh water from the system, salt water will inevitably encroach upon normally freshwater tributaries. Local Delta Farmers will lose their source of fresh water. Local freshwater dependent plants will die off.

But wait...we're creeping here. I'll move this worthwhile delta discussion to another page so Bligh's thread remains intact.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I remember the draining of Mono Lake for water in southern Cal....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I remember the draining of Mono Lake for water in southern Cal....
...and that was when the population of the state was less than 10 million. We're a lot thirstier now at 37 million! Heck, there's 12 million just in LA County. Oh well, at least we'll be catching halibut in Stockton.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 04-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Guru

There was talk at one point of a pipeline from Alaska (no shortage of water) to LA for water....
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Guru

I'd rather move LA to Alaska.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Guru

LOL They tried to move it to Seattle and they were sent back!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I'd rather move LA to Alaska.
Hear hear!

If ppl insist on farming a desert they need to find their own water, not steal it from me. At least there's FINALLY some talk of desalination plants!
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Too many people !!!!!!!

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #11
Guru

We would deport them south!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Nope. Wouldn't work. The Mexican government is smarter than ours. They won't allow undocumented Americans to enter the country and they have a nasty habit of robbing and shooting them when they find them. Down there that's almost a sport.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Nope. Wouldn't work. The Mexican government is smarter than ours. They won't allow undocumented Americans to enter the country and they have a nasty habit of robbing and shooting them when they find them. Down there that's almost a sport.
Ha, I was thinking Canada! Yep I know when you see the news they place Alaska in the Baja CA, but it is really located waaay north of there..
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Where's the quake when you need it? That would solve the LA problem.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
My great-grandfather was very involved in creating the Delta as we know it. My Dad's family has owned land and farmed there ever since. We need to keep in mind that the Delta as we know and love it is an artificial, man-made contrivance. I absolutely hate the thought of SoCal killing it, the modern Delta is in our family's very blood, but that which is created by the hand of man is doomed to be destroyed by it...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #16
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
My great-grandfather was very involved in creating the Delta as we know it. My Dad's family has owned land and farmed there ever since. We need to keep in mind that the Delta as we know and love it is an artificial, man-made contrivance. I absolutely hate the thought of SoCal killing it, the modern Delta is in our family's very blood, but that which is created by the hand of man is doomed to be destroyed by it...
Much of what you say I'm sure is true. But water for the last few million years or so has drained down from the mountains and out to the ocean through the GG bridge. Now much (sometime much too much) of that clean , fresh, mountain water is being diverted very far upstream for irrigation and domestic use in LA.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #17
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Much of what you say I'm sure is true. But water for the last few million years or so has drained down from the mountains and out to the ocean through the GG bridge. Now much (sometime much too much) of that clean , fresh, mountain water is being diverted very far upstream for irrigation and domestic use in LA.
Ok,
So if they pipe it down to LA then is flows to the sea through LA Harbor vs the Golden Gate....
Yes So Cal needs to do more desalination, solar powered would be great.

The thing is most water isn't being consumed to the point it goes away... there are more consumers in Cal and that is the issue.
The BIG water issue in Cal is farming, farms need to have water to feed people. Orchards have to be watered or you loose them.. which starts a 10 year or so cycle if you have to replace them.
Even though I do not work or live in the Central Valley in Cal any longer I do know how important the farming that takes place there is to the entire US.
I always have to laugh at people where I live talking about conserving water... Mine comes from a well.. my sewage is a septic system that eventually recycles the water and it ends up back in the well (except for the water that evaporates when I water the lawn...or when I get a drink at home then pee in town)!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Ok,

I always have to laugh at people where I live talking about conserving water... Mine comes from a well.. my sewage is a septic system that eventually recycles the water and it ends up back in the well (except for the water that evaporates when I water the lawn...or when I get a drink at home then pee in town)!

HOLLYWOOD
Your well isn't necessarily the best solution. Ground water levels can change rather abruptly depending on regional drought and the sheer number of folks using your aquifer. Then the cost to deepen your well could be, well, thousands! Ground water quality can vary from place to place. Always know who your up gradient neighbors are... A well designed septic system should place your leach field down gradient from your well so you won't be drinking the by-products from your families raw sewage.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Your well isn't necessarily the best solution. Ground water levels can change rather abruptly depending on regional drought and the sheer number of folks using your aquifer. Then the cost to deepen your well could be, well, thousands! Ground water quality can vary from place to place. Always know who your up gradient neighbors are... A well designed septic system should place your leach field down gradient from your well so you won't be drinking the by-products from your families raw sewage.
I guess I better give a bit more info...

My point was that OUR water is "recycled" . I simplifies the description for speed.

My well is actually a community system of 3 wells in a valley with all them around 1/2 mile apart. My house sits above the well head about 100'.
All our waste water goes back to earth through septic systems. The Aquifer is supplemented with rain. The adjacent town has a waste treatment facility that dumps treated wast into Puget Sound, 100% of that water is lost to the sea.
You are correct that some areas ground water levels change, due to many factors, drought, use, etc.
So Cal has more users than it has adequate water.. and that will never change.. unless they bring more in from other sources.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #20
Guru

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Good luck!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ