Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
I just saw this today, sorry (I've been out of town and not on TF). Looks like you have gotten much more info than I could possibly have given you as a Delta newbie. We use Hal Schell's book extensively though it is not 100% reliable after all these years (e.g. five fingers). We've had the boat up there since the beginning of April and plan to keep it there through the fall. We spent last weekend on White Slough and had a fatastic time.

www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance View Post
I realize my original post was for the Delta only but would also like to hear about the Bay.
you mention you have reciprical priveleges. I would highly recommend a visit to Oakland and / or Encinal YCs on Alameda (Island). They are walking distance from one another so you can stay at one and visit both. These are two fun clubs with good dining options. Encinal has a nice pool. We've spent many an enjoyable weekend there.

South Beach Marina in SF is nice and there is lots to do in walking distance.

Definitely check out Sausalito. Schoonmaker's usually has transient space, or you can anchor out in Richardson Bay. There is tons to do and see and it is a smallish town so most everything is walking distance...

Angel Island is a great stop. It is a really neat State Park with lots of history.

www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #23

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
Yes please move. Pineapple Girl, I never saw your response. Thank-You.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Great thread which saves me a lot of typing! I'm adding this to fill it out for more permanent use rather than tag it on the new thread.

Just want to add a few notes about anchorages and pretty routes. Most of our serious Delta cruising was done on a Mainship 430 out of Alameda. So we had to mind a lot of the bridge clearances and opening schedules. My family goes back in the Delta since the very beginnings of its present conformation, so I'm fourth generation. One branch still owns a farm on Ryer Island where we used to go pheasant and goose hunting back in the day. Another great great uncle had a place on Sherman Island for many years where my father spent a lot of time back in the 20's and 30's.

Cache and Prospect sloughs were mentioned in passing.
These have many pretty places to drop the hook and chill out, starting with the little cove just past the ship canal. Since they are not "through streets" so to speak, there is a little more leeway to anchor.

I'll add Sutter Slough and parts of Miner slough to the list.

As a matter of practice, we liked to anchor bow and stern parallel to the levees on one side of the slough, bow pointed up stream. This keeps the boat from swinging into the shore from passing wakes and tide shifts. Being pretty protected wind is usually less of an issue.

More in the tules, but enjoyable, especially with a dinghy, are Potato Slough and White's Slough with varous places to tuck in. An issue that I understand has worsened since our last trips in many of these sloughs can be the water hyacinths. You don't want to be near these at all, no matter what sort of strainer system you have they can clog it pronto. As the saying goes, don't ask me how I know this!

We liked Walnut Grove as a "town" stop, we used Deckhands Marina right across the river near the bridge, not sure if it is still there and under same ownership, but they were very friendly and helpful. It's a pretty easy walk to Locke. I would add Tony's Place right there in WG as a great bar, restaurant and dive to hang out in; we actually preferred it to Al's and Giustis (not in any way saying anything bad about them) as more of a locals kind of place.

Down in Suisun Bay we used to anchor up of Snag Island at the east end of the Suisun Cutoff, across from some lodges on Dutton Island. Picturesque and protected, and a nice stopover if you leave the bay area late, or a nice place for lunch on a day trip. I've taken a Mainship 30 Pilot up to Suisun City, kind of just to say we've done it, something to do once, a winding trip in the ditch, watch the depths. Better to take Montezuma to Hunter's Cut rather than the official entrance channel to Suisun Slough. Speaking of Montezuma, that's another interesting one-timer if your boat fits under the bridge. Plus you get to go through a lock of sorts (actually a salinity barrier).

Petaluma and Napa have been covered; have they finished the new day dock in downtown Napa yet? That was one of our favorite day trips (never took the 430 up there, just a 30 and 34 Pilot and a 390) but you need a designated captain! A flying bridge is great because you go through the Carneros.

I should add, that in my opinion, a flying bridge is great for the entire Delta region, definitely cuts down the "driving in a ditch" syndrome. The 430 and 390 were great boats for that, the only limitation being some fixed or seldom opened bridges.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
...have they finished the new day dock in downtown Napa yet? That was one of our favorite day trips (never took the 430 up there, just a 30 and 34 Pilot and a 390) but you need a designated captain! ...
There is a day-use dock now with room for about two pleasure boats. Much of the dock is reserved for other vessels.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #26
Guru

City: gulf coast
Nobody has mentioned Foster Big horn restaurant in Rio Vista. The most unusual place in the delta.

Home
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Nobody has mentioned Foster Big horn restaurant in Rio Vista. The most unusual place in the delta.

Home

FlyWright took me to lunch there a few weeks ago and it was definitely a unique experience. I highly recommend a visit.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Grass Valley
Vessel Name: Plan B
Vessel Model: 1982 Ocean Alexander 43
But wait a minute! Although Scary has covered the majority of the delta, he hasn't talked about going south to Discovery Bay etc. Seriously, it would take years and years to cover the entire delta and bay in a boat, it's one of the reasons we love it here. I would add: Most of the marinas on the delta loop have guest slips available during the summer but reserve in advance for the weekend. Latitude 38 (local sailing mag) puts on the Delta Do Da all summer long and the marinas all participate. Owl harbor just had a big BBQ for Do daers, it's a lot of fun.

Delta Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, cruising, delta, freshwater, guide, river, sacramento, san juaquin