Old 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #61
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ken E,
We've overnighted at Butedale several times in the last ten years and not had a problem. Smaller boats though. 25 and 30'. Dangerous? You bet! The whole place is dangerous.

Hate to see it become some kind of a resort. I like ruins better than resorts and marinas. Too many people now. I was there in the 70's w my first wife. We hiked up the flume to the lake and we showered for a long time. With free water and heat why not.

At that time the flume and generator were in good working order. That would have been the time to up-grade the place. The fishermen now use the little cove so of the cannery to spend the night. Several raft up.

However other places w a better harbor and without many many tons of debris to remove would make a better choice for a pleasure boaters resting stop. And if development was done lots of ecological work would need to be done. While we were living on Prince of Wales Is. an old mine was cleaned up. Big money.

Two pics of Butedale as of about three years ago and one of fishermen in the small cove.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0406 copy.jpg   DSCF0409 copy.jpg   DSCF0410 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #62

City: Langley BC
Vessel Name: Summer Wind
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Marin;
I just discovered this thread; thanks for the memories, I think.
Sad to see the slow death of what once was BC.
BC was the coast. BC was the cost people.

I regret that my time as a kid on that part of the coast did not involve pictures. What was the point? It would always be that way. No need to save it on pieces of paper. Any pictures I have, were of people, kids mostly and the typical coastal buildings were just part of the background along with the trees and old boats.

As a kid, I never got beyond (old) Bella Bella and even through the 80's when I got up there and beyond it was still the rough and tumble coast and still no pictures.

So when folks like you went and saw it with different eyes and captured it because it was a new adventure, you held onto some of it for the likes of me.

How many times have the Butedales of the coast been a new owners dream come true, only to choke to death in the 8 month fog, pelted with rain?

Thanks again, the old guard salutes you...
My thoughts as well and my thanks for the photos. In the seventys and early eightys I worked in logging camps all up and down the coast. Never spent a moment looking at the scenery or taking photos of places like this. I now have a boat and am going back next summer for a long leisurely visit. Does anyone remember Church House?
stanfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #63
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Yep, tied up there overnight in 1969

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #64
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Passed by Butedale this past summer. It was falling into the water. Sad to see. Crusty Chief actually stopped overnight, saw the spirit bear up close.

They have a new aluminum ramp. It would be great if this place was converted to a resort or a stop over as it is in the perfect place between Bella Bella and Prince Rupert.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #65
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Please join us on MV Pairadice : NORTH B.C. / KITAMAT AND BUTEDALE

Link to our trip at Kitimak and Butedale.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #66
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Passed by Butedale this past summer. It was falling into the water. Sad to see. Crusty Chief actually stopped overnight, saw the spirit bear up close.

They have a new aluminum ramp. It would be great if this place was converted to a resort or a stop over as it is in the perfect place between Bella Bella and Prince Rupert.
Thanks Tom, a pic of the Spirit bear.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0300.jpg  
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #67

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Stopped at Butedale on the way south from Alaska last summer. Cory is looking after the place. Free Wi-Fi near the cookhouse and a decent trail up to the lake.

The floats have been resurfaced and there's a new, sturdy ramp connecting the floats to shore.

Here are some pictures I took with the drone...
Attached Thumbnails
DJI_0107.jpg   DJI_0095.jpg   DJI_0098.jpg   DJI_0094.jpg   DJI_0101.jpg  

DJI_0106.jpg   DJI_0100.jpg  
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #68
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Butedale

Hey Retriever: cool pics from the drone! We stayed there last summer as well. It was ok and the price was right. You do have to be careful where you step on the dock. Cory's old tom cat Tiger serenaded Lilly. She wasn't sure what to make of him. We were able to take our dog Jenny to shore which was nice and the blue berries were tasty, but the bugs were something else! Glad to have repellant. We didn't see the Kermode though.

As with all of these ventures, the owner may have grand ideas, but the reality of coast and effort will ultimately get in the way.
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #69
Guru

City: Vermont
Yes, Sam, I think you have made the best use of a drone that I have seen so far. Keep up the great work!
Old 11-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #70
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
For those interested, it would seem this is the company that bought the place.

Inside Passage Marine Corporation

I sent the CEO an email and asked if he would be so kind to post an update here. Let you know what I find out.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #71
Guru

City: Vermont
That's a very interesting project. I hope it's successful.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #72
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Marin, thank you for this thread!
Seeing this kind of place decaying always brings tears to me. I always thought that we are just loosing a part of ourselves. I know that we cannot keep everything but when I think about all the work, effort, sweat an sacrifice that were made there, it is always sad to see all that fall in oblivion a little bit more every year.
This remind me my own history... My great grandfather was a sawyer in Alps mountain in France. He built his saw mill from scratch by hand using parts recovered from world war heritage engines. It was really a piece of art, powered by electricity generated from a river (he also built the little dam and generator). I remember myself when I was a little boy going in the sawmill and looking at all these machines making noise, all these saw running mechanically and smelling this wood parfume (yes I had the incredible chance to know him as he passed away at almost 97 years old). Now his sawmill his owned by one of his son, aged of a bit more than 85 years old and it is like this place, decaying a little more every day. One day all this will disapear and will last only memories. Considering all the work involved it is a pity to see all that disapear but does not everything transient down here?
Marin this kind of thread makes memories last longer so thank you.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:08 AM   #73
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Marin, thank you for this thread!
Marin went in limbo about a year ago after being one of the most prolific posters ever. He may have gotten tired of posters asking what happened to almost sink his boat.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:31 AM   #74
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Marin went in limbo about a year ago after being one of the most prolific posters ever. He may have gotten tired of posters asking what happened to almost sink his boat.
Did not know this. Thanks to him anyway!
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #75

City: Smithers
I'd be glad to send along the current Butedale Summary by email , to anyone who would like to see it...Best Regards Shawn Kennedy contact: skennedyau@gmail.com
Butedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #76
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Good luck with the project Shawn. I never made it that far north before shipping my boat back to Australia, but I loved to visit and support the facilities of the kind you have there. I'm hoping to get back to your region for more cruising one day, and hope you are open at the time!
Old 11-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #77
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Messrs. D and L_t. I think Mr. Marin was sent to limbo rather than choosing to do so.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #78
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butedale View Post
I'd be glad to send along the current Butedale Summary by email , to anyone who would like to see it...Best Regards Shawn Kennedy contact: skennedyau@gmail.com
Welcome aboard from just up-coast a wee bit
Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Good luck with the project Shawn. I never made it that far north before shipping my boat back to Australia, but I loved to visit and support the facilities of the kind you have there. I'm hoping to get back to your region for more cruising one day, and hope you are open at the time!
Thanks Hope the link below works re: video panorama of Butedale Bay Etc, if so try full screen & various control buttons

https://www.towardsabetterworld.com/...le-pano-7.html
Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #80

Thanks for the kind welcome

https://www.towardsabetterworld.com/...le-pano-7.html

Hopefully the above links to video panorama of Butedale Bay..if so, try full screen & various control buttons