A bit breezy today in the PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmuir

Vessel Name
Ka Hale Kai
Vessel Make
52' Cheoy Lee
SandHeadsLightStation.jpg

Good grief! It’s been blowing around 30 here all day and I thought that was windy. [emoji15]

I live at Sandy Point, just north of Bellingham. It has been blowing a steady 50, gusting 65, with a very high tide. Water has flooded across the road but is starting to decrease with the tide now ebbing. A thrill a minute, although I'm thankful we're not in the boat!

Maple Bay Marina has suffered significant damage; a couple of hours ago the Coast Guard ordered an evacuation of the marina.

A bit more info on Maple Bay Marina.

It appears that more than 75% of the docks are toast; two floathomes broke away and went onto the rocks; the Taconite went up on the rocks; most of the boathouses callapsed onto the boats; nobody is allowed onto the docks until further notice.

More to follow.

We lost power in La Conner this afternoon and it just came back on a short while ago.

Yep, as above, out for 8 hours! Had the gen set running though. Blew like heck here, don't know for sure the mph's but had to be gusts of 50 or so. Went out to see a friend in Sedro Woolley and saw numerous trees down, road closures, power was out and on one stretch of road exposed to the south, I saw around 8-10 snapped off power poles! Quite a sight!

Over 300,000 without power in the Puget Sound region.

Hmm. Sounds like a tropical storm. Stay safe my friendship!

I have been living in LaConner for about 30 years and this is for sure one of the biggest storms to hit this area in that time. Maybe not THE biggest but its right up there. Not to mention the twister that hit near Port Orchard a couple of days ago! Tomorrow is the first day of winter too! Be nice to have a few days in a row without a storm though!

A bit more info on Maple Bay Marina.

It appears that more than 75% of the docks are toast; two floathomes broke away and went onto the rocks; the Taconite went up on the rocks; most of the boathouses callapsed onto the boats; nobody is allowed onto the docks until further notice.

More to follow.

Wow, several friends with big boats in those boat houses. Ladysmith has similar design fabric structures, wonder how they fared. Thanks for the update Conrad.

Rebel, Birch Bay was on the news last night. It looked like a hurricane. No better at Sandy Point although the standing water has retreated this morning and the wind is calm. Whew.

Yesterday afternoon I was working on my gang plank and the wind just came up big time. With no hand rails it was a little scary trying to get off of the dang thing. I kept thinking why I wasn't wearing a PFD......

I was showing 48mph sustain winds with gusts at 60mph!!! That sucked

My understanding is that the fabric covered boat houses sustained damage to the fabric but did not collapse. The solid roofed boathouses did not fare so well. I’m hoping to hear more today from my live aboard friends today if they are allowed back on the docks.

Maple Bay Marina is now beginning to rebuild. The first major task after cleanup is replacing the pilings, and a pile driver is already on site. The damage estimate has been revised down a bit, only about 50% of the docks are gone.

As I write this I'm sitting on Blue Sky in Discovery Harbour Marina in Campbell River watching the anemometer hitting 50 knots and building. Going to be a wild night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom