Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Bill Boeing's boat

Came across the Taconite (2) in Maple Bay last week.* Bill Boeing's first yacht, the Taconite (1) was built in 1915-16 and was directly responsible for the creation of Pacific Aero Products in 1916 which was soon renamed the Boeing Airplane Company.

The Taconite (2) was built for Bill Boeing in 1930 to replace the first Taconite.* Today it belongs to a fellow who splits his time between Vancouver and a home at Maple Bay.* The Taconite (2) is chartered out to folks who want to cruise the BC coast in style.* I'm told that in years past the Taconite's charter business was very busy but the last couple of years has seen it drop off considerably.* Nevertheless the yacht appears to be kept up in beautiful shape.

We were moored right across the channel from her and while as a Boeing employee I was expecting a dinner invitation for us and our friends on board the Taconite we apparently missed the text message...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taconite.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	7553   Click image for larger version

Name:	taconite bridge.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	7554   Click image for larger version

Name:	taconite launch.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	7555   Click image for larger version

Name:	taconite stern.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	7556   Click image for larger version

Name:	taconite bg.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	7557  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Guru

RE: Bill Boeing's boat

Stylish it is.

Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Bill Boeing's boat

Did you notice the nice, five horns?* Bet they sound good.

I've only got two.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 07:16:47 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_1093.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	7875  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

So do most of us.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Master and Commander

One time I contemplated getting a three-horn set, but then decided I*would be sufficiently*"over-horned" with two.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Bridgewater, NJ

Perhaps you were looking for a text message invite while they sent it semaphore?*

A real beauty. *One question, how is it pronounced? like*Ta -ka' - night? or*Taco-Night? or ?
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

Bill Boeing's boat

It's a type of rock that contains iron. I"ve always heard it pronounced tacka-night or tackuh-night (slight "o" sound) with the emphasis on the the first "ta." It's part of what the Boeing family made their fortune on before Bill moved to Seattle. It's what the Edmund Fitzgerald was carrying in pellet form when she broke her back on a reef during a storm and sank in Lake Superior.

From Wikipedia--- Taconite is a variety of iron formation, an iron-bearing (>15% iron) sedimentary rock, in which the iron minerals are interlayered with quartz, chert, or carbonate. The term was coined by Minnesota State Geologist Newton Horace Winchell during his pioneering investigations of the Precambrian Biwabik Iron Formation of northeastern Minnesota due to its superficial resemblance to iron-bearing rocks he was familiar with in the Taconic Mountains of New York.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 17th of October 2011 11:49:26 AM
Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Beautiful boat! Built back when they looked like boats. thanx for posting. What is her length?
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

Bill Boeing's boat

The Taconite (2) has a length of*125 feet with a 25 foot beam. Built by Boeing of Canada it has two Atlas diesels.* She was built for Bill Boeing to replace his first yacht, also named Taconite (see photo).*

The first Taconite was directly responsible for the creation of The Boeing Company.* The Boeing family made their money in taconite and lumber in Michigan and thereabouts*and Bill continued the business, moving to Seattle to pursue opportunities in the forests around Puget Sound.* In 1914 or*so he decided he wanted a yacht of his own so he commisioned Ed Heath to build one in Heath's shipyard on the Duwamish Waterway at the south end of Seattle's Elliot Bay.* I don't know who designed the original Taconite--- it might have been Ed Heath himself.

Ed and his shipwrights were consumate boat builders but Ed was a crappy businessman and he tended to put more into his boats than he charged for.

Before Boeing's yacht was finished Ed went bankrupt.* Boeing wanted his boat finished, so he bought the Heath Shipyard for a dollar and the debt.* He retained Ed Heath and his staff and they finished the yacht.

Meantime, Boeing had gotten interested in aviation.* His first airplane ride was in a Curtiss pusher seaplane on Lake Washington on a 4th of July.* The friend who went with him, US Navy officer Conrad Westervelt who was an engineer, stated on their way back to Seattle that he'd done some rough calculations and the Curtiss they'd just flown in was barely strong enough to hold itself together.* He reckonned they could build a better plane themselves.

So they did.* Boeing had purchased a Martin floatplane to learn to fly in and he kept it in a three-bay floating hangar he'd had built on Lake Union in Seattle.* Conrad designed a plane very similar to the Martin and Boeing had it constructed in Ed Heath's shipyard which Boeing now owned.* So the same guys that built his yacht built his airplane.*

Actually, they built two of them.* One was called the Mallard and the other was called the Bluebill.* Ed Heath himself designed the floats which were of wood and were real works of art.* When the components of both planes were finished they were trucked to Lake Union and assembled in Boeing's little hangar.* While the two planes had individual names, they soon became known as B & Ws, for Boeing and Westervelt.

Boeing established an airplane company in 1916 called Pacific Aero Products and tried to get the government interested in buying the Mallard and Bluebill and ordering more.* WWI was going on at the time but we weren't in it and the government wasn't interested.* But as the war went on people in the military began to see the writing on the wall, so the Navy gave Boeing a contract for fifty improved versions of the B & W called the Model C.* The Model C established Boeing in the airplane business and the name of the company was soon changed to Boeing Airplane Company.

So... if you go to Seattle today and visit the Museum of Flight on Boeing field, you will see a red barnlike building at the core of the museum complex (which is not the building's original location).* This building, appropriately called the Red Barn, was the main erecting shed of Ed Heath's shipyard--- at the time it said "Heath" down the side in big letters-- and is where the Taconite (1) was built, then the Mallard and Bluebill, and then the Model C's.* The building became the core of the Boeing manufacturing and assembly complex that was built up around it which became known as Plant 1.* At one point in the 1930s most of the second floor was cut out of the*Red Barn*and the*prototype Model 307, the world's first pressurized airliner that was based on the Model 299 (later called the B-17) was assembled in the building.

So I and 150,000 other people are working at Boeing today--- and* you perhaps went somewhere recently in a Boeing airliner---- because in 1914, Bill Boeing wanted a yacht and hired Ed Heath to build it.

More than you wanted to know, but it's an interesting story.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 23rd of January 2012 10:37:18 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	taconite 1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	9705  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Master and Commander

Bill Boeing's boat

Quote:
Marin wrote:
So do most of us.
*But yours are, well, small!

Mine:

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 23rd of January 2012 10:49:58 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	com jones point anchor.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	9706  
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

Bill Boeing's boat

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
*But yours are, well, small!
The ones on our boat are the same size but a different brand.* Actually, I think the longer of our two trumpets is physically*longer than yours judging by your photo.* Doubt it's as loud, though :-)

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 12:13:19 AM
Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Master and Commander

Bill Boeing's boat

Marin, I was thinking of*the diameter of horns rather than length.* Skinny horns "squeak" and thick horns "boom."* Low frequencies transmit further than high.

Marina neighbors recognize my horn and have yet to complain of*my booming*"toot" entering/leaving the marina at low tide when the breakwater blocks visibility.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 10:37:07 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	race start.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	9730  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Well, our horns definitely don't squeak. They are considerably lower and louder in tone than the electric horns I hear (on the rare occasions when anyone blows a horn up here). But how they compare in tone and pitch to yours I have no idea. Kahlenbergs are among the best there are so I would imagine yours sound really good.

But considering how often boaters use their horns up here--- fog is about the only time-- a person could probably get away with a kazoo and be just fine :-)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
Master and Commander

Try the D-1.

http://www.kahlenberg.com/yacht.html
Old 01-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Bill Boeing's boat

Like I said, most people don't use horns up here for anything other than fog. A D-1 or any other horn on a boat up here is just one more thing to polish :-)

PS* Just realized you probably meant listen to the D-1.* So I did.* Good sound.* Ours are lower than that in pitch but I have no idea how they compare in volume.* That's probably more dependent on the compressor than the horns themselves, I don't know.* Our*compressor is not very big.* I know a guy who has horns like ours but he runs them off an air tank.* He demonstrated them once to me and they are a lot louder than ours.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 04:26:04 PM
Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
Master and Commander

Bill Boeing's boat

Have a fair-sized air tank and a compressor capable of continual use.* Air pressure is set to about 100 p.s.i.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 27th of January 2012 12:18:10 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air tank pressure.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	9769   Click image for larger version

Name:	air tank.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	9770  
Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

I think that's a better system than what we have, which is the compressor (small) mounted inside the flying bridge console beside the horns on the outside and plumbed directly to the horns.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Master and Commander

Took a photo of my air compressor today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	compressors.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	9787  
Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
Have a fair-sized air tank and a compressor capable of continual use.* Air pressure is set to about 100 p.s.i.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 27th of January 2012 12:18:10 PM
*There you go! * I like it! I've got a similar set up! There are places to plug into the system all around the boat.My wipers on the bridge windows are air powered!
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Wow, what great lines.* There are a couple of classic fantail 75+ ft built in that time that are not being maintained very well.* In years past the owner live on and/or charter them.* To maintain a boat in Bristol condition in the PNW takes a lot of time and money.*
I am surprised the boat does not have a lot more canvas.* If we did not have most of the Eagle covered with canvas and tarps on the deck it would triple the amount of bright work.* Must have a full time crew on the boat to maintain her in that condition.
I did notice she is a wide body, no walk around deck with a canoe stern.* I am surprised it does not have a fan tail as fan tail where very popular during that time. *

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote