Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Bill Boeing's boat

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:<br style="font-family:'Times New Roman';" />I did notice she is a wide body, no walk around deck with a canoe stern.* I am surprised it does not have a fan tail as fan tail where very popular during that time. *
The Taconite is actually a fairly narrow vessel for its length, which was the typical design for this type of boat in that era.* There was probably no real need to work lines from amidships with this boat.* Fore and aft deck access was all that was needed.* Plus the yacht would have had a crew of at least three or four, so there would have been no need for the person on the aft deck to get forward fast during a docking.

The boat may be covered in the winter when it's over in Vancouver.* Maple Bay is the current owner's summer home, so the boat only spends a few months there.* And I did not go aboard the boat, so the "ten foot" rule applies to my photos. (Almost everythng looks good from "ten feet" ---or more--- away).* So I did not have a chance to examine the condition of the paint and brightwork closely.* However from what I've been told the current owner has the means the keep the boat in excellent condition.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Marin wrote:*However from what I've been told the current owner has the means the keep the boat in excellent condition.
*Thanks goodness there are people like that.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Most boats at that time were long and narrow, many where wide body, no side decks to maximize the interior/salon area, and had canoe/fantail sterns.* *Here a site that show many of the older classic boats.* http://classicyacht.org/aboutclassics/fantails.htm.* Many of the boat listed are moored on Lake Union, and on the 4<sup>th</sup> of July each year at the wood boat center at the end of lake Union they many are open to the public.*
Wehn we moored on Lake Union the Malibu, Thea Foss and a sister ship f Malibu where moored in our marina.* They all had a full time crew to mainain year*arond.* *
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I wonder how many Boeing boats were built

There was a Boeing yacht in the Delta that spent time between Oxbow Marina and San Rafael that belonged to George Homenko about 60' in beautiful condition. George moved on to a steel trawler. I think this boat was named Nonchalant, I think it was re-powered with a single 671.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The Taconite is actually a fairly narrow vessel for its length, which was the typical design for this type of boat in that era.
One of the reasons "fine" hulls were common was in that era, the horsepower needed to move a beamier vessel at the speeds they desired was only obtainable with very large and heavy diesels or snarling and temperamental conversions of water cooled gasoline fueled aircraft engines.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Something to be aware of: the boats built under the Boeing name in the 1930s were built by Boeing of Canada in Vancouver. They were not made by the airplane company in Seattle.

Bill Boeing and partners built a huge conglomerate which at its peak included Boeing Airplane Company, United Airlines, Varney Airlines, Hamilton Standard (propellers), Pratt & Whitney, Stearman, National Air Transport, Chance Vought, and a number of other aviation-oriented companies. The overall name of the company was changed to United Aircraft and Transport Company although the individual companies retained their own names.

Anti-trust fever was high in the early 1930s and in 1934 the US government used the Air Mail Act to break Boeing's company into three main divisions: Boeing Airplane Company, United Airlines, and United Aircraft Corporation which later became United Technologies. Bill Boeing quit the whole works in disgust and retired to his farm near Fall City, Washington (a few miles from where we live east of Seattle) and never had anything to do with the aerospace industry again.

Back in 1929 when the company was in a major acquisition mode, Boeing purchased the Hoffar-Beeching boatyard at Coal Harbor, Vancouver. They began buildng small flying boats there but continued their core business of building fishing boats, yachts, and smaller recreational craft until just before WWII when they, now called Boeing of Canada, moved to a huge new facility at Sea Island on the Fraser River and concentrated on building large seaplanes like the PBY Catalina.

The first boat to be built at the Hoffar-Beeching yard after Boeing's acquisition of it was his Taconite II, the boat pictured at the beginning of this thread. So it may have been the construction of this boat that motivated Boeing to buy the yard--- after all, he'd done it before in Seattle to ensure the completion of his first yacht, the Taconite.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #27

City: La Conner
more on Taconite II

Taconite II keel was laid in Vancouver in 1929 and launched in 1930. Mr. Boeing died aboard in 1956. My recollection is that his widow lived aboard for many more years. (Might be wrong on this)
Just like in Seattle, at the next door property, Boeing opened a plant to build float planes, at least 10 were built mostly for private owners. The plant was known as the Boeing plant up into the '50s. another plant was built on Sea Island next to the Vancouver airport to build PBYs.

The first international air mail to the US came from Vancouver to Seattle aboard a Boeing mail plane with Boeing aboard, 1919 I think.

capnrich is offline   Reply With Quote