Back From Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Just got back from Angoon, AK, last night. Really successful trip and before anyone writes that our Halibut are too small...you have to throw eveything over 45 inches back! (Which we did...47", 54", etc.) Also, the Kings must be 28" or more to keep and although we caught several, only one was a keeper. Variety of fish caught was: Pink , king & silver salmon, halibut, flounder, quill backs, cod, yellow eye, rock fish and sea bass.

Great trip! Great lodge!

Attachments

• IMG_5085.jpg
    IMG_5085.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 146
Just got back from Angoon, AK, last night. Really successful trip and before anyone writes that our Halibut are too small...you have to throw eveything over 45 inches back! (Which we did...47", 54", etc.) Also, the Kings must be 28" or more to keep and although we caught several, only one was a keeper. Variety of fish caught was: Pink , king & silver salmon, halibut, flounder, quill backs, cod, yellow eye, rock fish and sea bass.

Great trip! Great lodge!

Glad you enjoyed Alaska!

What people do not realize is that smaller halibut are much better eating than large halibut.

Glad you enjoyed Alaska!

What people do not realize is that smaller halibut are much better eating than large halibut.

Wow! Big change from the 90's...I didn't like the big ones either but thought the up to 100 pounders were just fine...:D

I'm all for preserving the fishery.....hope the restrictions help!

also...didn't know Alaska started until you got past 141 degrees West longitude...though the rest was just coastal British Columbia....:eek::D

Last edited:
Wow! Big change from the 90's...I didn't like the big ones either but thought the up to 100 pounders were just fine...:D

I'm all for preserving the fishery.....hope the restrictions help!

also...didn't know Alaska started until you got past 141 degrees West longitude...though the rest was just coastal British Columbia....:eek::D

Actually the smaller the halibut is the softer, and moister the flesh is.

Also, to the best of my knowledge there is no ADFG requirements to throw back larger fish anywhere in the state. I could be wrong, but I think this is a lodge imposed rule to protect their local stock.

The out of state regs have changed in the last couple of years for butts and kings... Its sad for the charter guys, killed many guys business literally over night!

my big butt for this year is 253 lbs, just a couple of weeks ago...

Also, to the best of my knowledge there is no ADFG requirements to throw back larger fish anywhere in the state. I could be wrong, but I think this is a lodge imposed rule to protect their local stock.
Absolutely correct!And I'm all for it!

Attachments

• IMG_5098.jpg
    IMG_5098.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 129
The sea bass are actually a palegic rock fish also known as a black sea bass.

(Palegic vs non palegic)

Delicious

SD

Welcome back, Walt. Nice bag of fish! Was that the week total catch? Love the miles of smiles on the 4 of you.

Actually the smaller the halibut is the softer, and moister the flesh is.

Unless you are on a charter in SE. The comm fish were successful in strapping the chaters in SE. If you go out in your own boat, then the rules do not apply.

Yep the comm fish-Charter wars......

Back
Top Bottom