Armchair Weather Routing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4mo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nor'Wester
Vessel Make
Navigator 53
Hi guys,

I have a new to me Navigator 53 that is on its way from Newport Beach to Seattle.

It left on Saturday afternoon and is currently holed up in Bodega Bay waiting on the weather. It has been cruising between 9 and 12 knots depending on weather and waves, holds 750 gallons of fuel, and makes about a gallon a mile at 9knots.

It's been interesting watching and trying to guess what WRI and the captain will decide on. There was a pretty good break that I thought would be one big push all the way to Seattle, but its gotten a bit more [STRIKE]expensive [/STRIKE] interesting with the update forecasts this morning.

I've mostly been using Windy. Any predictions?

The current northern CA marine weather is predicted gale force winds and large seas. Expect a long layover from what I just read. You may luck out with two good weather windows, minimally what will be needed to get to Seattle this time of the year from SF area. Generally this a rotten time of the year to traverse the Pacific Coast.

The issue is not only near shore but what is happening far offshore and in the Gulf of AK, creating very large seas. Windy should be OK, also try Predict Wind's site.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a new to me Navigator 53 that is on its way from Newport Beach to Seattle.

It left on Saturday afternoon and is currently holed up in Bodega Bay waiting on the weather. It has been cruising between 9 and 12 knots depending on weather and waves, holds 750 gallons of fuel, and makes about a gallon a mile at 9knots.

It's been interesting watching and trying to guess what WRI and the captain will decide on. There was a pretty good break that I thought would be one big push all the way to Seattle, but its gotten a bit more [STRIKE]expensive [/STRIKE] interesting with the update forecasts this morning.

I've mostly been using Windy. Any predictions?

I believe Trevor (your skipper) is using a number of wind apps to get the best possible average for weather windows. This time of year, it is certainly a hit and miss weather wise...

Last edited:
Not sure who Travis is, but my Captain, Charlie, is using Weather Routing Inc (WRI) as well as a variety of other sources, one of which is not me. I'm just having fun following along and looking for windows.

My guess is he takes off from Bodega Bay Thursday morning and makes it to Newport. The leave Newport Sunday night, round Cape Flatter Tuesday early morning and make it to Seattle by Tuesday night.

Last edited:
Good luck to your new boat and congratulations. I've been out there heading north in Feb and the waves were quite intimidating.

Good luck to your new boat and congratulations. I've been out there heading north in Feb and the waves were quite intimidating.

Thanks!

I was intimidated enough to stay home and hire a professional!

I was intimidated enough to stay home and hire a professional!

Hiring a professional I get, but staying home?

I considered going for the adventure and imagine there are a few great moments scattered among what is turning out to be 2-3 weeks of monotony but I prefer to use vacation days with my wife and two girls (3 and 7) rather than a captain I've met once and his crew.

They left Bodega Bay this morning at 7am heading toward Crescent City where they will hole up again currently projected to wait out weather systems until after the 30th.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom