Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
4mo
Veteran Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Nor'Wester
Vessel Model: Navigator 53
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Armchair Weather Routing

Hi guys,

I have a new to me Navigator 53 that is on its way from Newport Beach to Seattle.

It left on Saturday afternoon and is currently holed up in Bodega Bay waiting on the weather. It has been cruising between 9 and 12 knots depending on weather and waves, holds 750 gallons of fuel, and makes about a gallon a mile at 9knots.

It's been interesting watching and trying to guess what WRI and the captain will decide on. There was a pretty good break that I thought would be one big push all the way to Seattle, but its gotten a bit more expensive interesting with the update forecasts this morning.

I've mostly been using Windy. Any predictions?
__________________
Advertisement

4mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,120
The current northern CA marine weather is predicted gale force winds and large seas. Expect a long layover from what I just read. You may luck out with two good weather windows, minimally what will be needed to get to Seattle this time of the year from SF area. Generally this a rotten time of the year to traverse the Pacific Coast.

The issue is not only near shore but what is happening far offshore and in the Gulf of AK, creating very large seas. Windy should be OK, also try Predict Wind's site.
__________________

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mo View Post
Hi guys,

I have a new to me Navigator 53 that is on its way from Newport Beach to Seattle.

It left on Saturday afternoon and is currently holed up in Bodega Bay waiting on the weather. It has been cruising between 9 and 12 knots depending on weather and waves, holds 750 gallons of fuel, and makes about a gallon a mile at 9knots.

It's been interesting watching and trying to guess what WRI and the captain will decide on. There was a pretty good break that I thought would be one big push all the way to Seattle, but its gotten a bit more expensive interesting with the update forecasts this morning.

I've mostly been using Windy. Any predictions?
I believe Trevor (your skipper) is using a number of wind apps to get the best possible average for weather windows. This time of year, it is certainly a hit and miss weather wise...
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
4mo
Veteran Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Nor'Wester
Vessel Model: Navigator 53
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Not sure who Travis is, but my Captain, Charlie, is using Weather Routing Inc (WRI) as well as a variety of other sources, one of which is not me. I'm just having fun following along and looking for windows.

My guess is he takes off from Bodega Bay Thursday morning and makes it to Newport. The leave Newport Sunday night, round Cape Flatter Tuesday early morning and make it to Seattle by Tuesday night.
4mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
w8n4sun's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 160
Good luck to your new boat and congratulations. I've been out there heading north in Feb and the waves were quite intimidating.
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
4mo
Veteran Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Nor'Wester
Vessel Model: Navigator 53
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4sun View Post
Good luck to your new boat and congratulations. I've been out there heading north in Feb and the waves were quite intimidating.
Thanks!

I was intimidated enough to stay home and hire a professional!
4mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 616
I was intimidated enough to stay home and hire a professional!

Hiring a professional I get, but staying home?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
4mo
Veteran Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Nor'Wester
Vessel Model: Navigator 53
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
I considered going for the adventure and imagine there are a few great moments scattered among what is turning out to be 2-3 weeks of monotony but I prefer to use vacation days with my wife and two girls (3 and 7) rather than a captain I've met once and his crew.

They left Bodega Bay this morning at 7am heading toward Crescent City where they will hole up again currently projected to wait out weather systems until after the 30th.
__________________

4mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×