Old 01-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #41

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Dark, I know mechanical injection and the older diesels are proven, and fairly bullet proof but I don't agree that the new computer controlled engines are more prone to failure. Common rail and the associated electronics have been around quite awhile now, and I rarely if ever hear about the concerns you are noting. Granted, stuff happens, but these new common rail engines are proven workhorses.

Now pods, especially the first gen up to around 2013 or so are a different animal and these did have computer related issues causing the loss of propulsion but that is a subject not related to trawlers. How do I know..first hand experience and talking to other owners.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #42
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
I suggest you read Alaska Blues by Joe Upton, a highly readable account by a fisherman who makes the roundtrip each year in an old wooden boat no bigger than yours.

He does this in company with another boat, something you might want to consider. (I'm leaving about May 15th.)
...and, yes, I have done it before.
A very good read indeed.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #43
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
I'd like to hear from the twin engine proponents. How many of you have needed the mechanical security of twins? That is, how many of you have had to 'get home' on one engine due to mechanical failure of the other engine or transmission?

Not belts and hoses. Not fuel problems. Not prop, shaft or rudder damage due to striking something. I'm interested solely in breakdowns due to mechanical problems.

And would the break downs have been repairable at sea? Provided you had the spares, tools and skills.

Many have made the point that maintenance, preparation and seamanship are more important than the number of engines. I agree with that but I want to hear from those who got home because they had more than one engine.

Yes, I am a proponent of twins over single power. This is not due to many engine failures, though I have had my share. I have never lost a vacation due to a mechanical failure, though I know several single owners who have spent the greater portion of theirs in a shipyard, far from home.

To specifically respond to PBs post

1 Lost a starter a day from home, at Lasqueti Island. Due to strong headwinds, headed to Secret Cove instead of home to Vancouver, took the dead started home on the ferry, returned the following weekend with it rebuilt.

2 Lost an oil cooler at Sarah Point (Desolation Sound) at the beginning of vacation. The low oil pressure horn was the first indication of a problem. a hole, 1/4" diameter, had opened through the aluminum case, allowing a stream of oil to drain into the pan beneath the engine. Once I found where it was going, I put a bucket to catch the stream and used that engine only when needed for docking. Returning the oil to the engine worked well until I returned home 3 weeks later. Got the oil cooler repaired and it still holds on.

3 On checking the oil, discovered a milkshake in the sump. Took it in on the other engine, got the source of the water identified (raw water pump) and repaired, several oil changes to see if the engine would still run, and set out again on both, only to have that one bend a valve in mid Georgia Straight, and require a full rebuild. I was able to postpone that repair from June to September, so as to save my summer vacation, which was then done at 6.5 knots on one engine instead of at 8 knots on two.

Added benefit, I learned to dock in current and wind on the Starboard engine only (no thrusters).
Old 01-12-2018, 01:39 AM   #44
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I maintain mine as well as you can....15,000 miles before it standed me with a broken dampner plate

As I said, any one can fail at any time beyond the abilities or parts carried onboard.

Therefore, as long as the inconvenience of breaking down where you dont want to be and the costs involved dont bother you, no big deal.

It's not quite as simple as that when cruising in isolated areas where there is no towing service, few safe harbors, and very little boat traffic.

It can be more than an inconvenience when you have no form of propulsion and the wind is pushing you towards breaking surf on the rocks.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:19 AM   #45
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
With all the cruise ships and ferries, isn't it practical to communicate with them to forward a "help" request to an entity that could provide help?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #46
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
With all the cruise ships and ferries, isn't it practical to communicate with them to forward a "help" request to an entity that could provide help?
Mark
That is exactly what happens when there is a vessel near the site of another vessel in trouble. This thread isn't about what happens when a potential rescuer is nearby, rather is about your self reliance when in an area of danger, with no help at hand.

My experience with RCMSAR (active crew of unit 25, Saltspring Island) shows me that vessels of opportunity. including ferries and cruise ships, are often first on scene, and always communicate with JRCC (Rescue coordination) who then task the most appropriate available resources to the rescue.
Those resources are spread very thinly once you travel beyond the highly populated areas. In the Gulf Islands we have RCMSAR and Coast Guard vessels with a response time average of around 1/2 hour, plus many vessels of opportunity. On the Central Coast, not so good, as the distance between assets can be from few to many hours.
Old Today, 03:54 PM   #47

City: Camarillo
Single back up Outboard

Benthic2 --- to answer your question.

20 HP.

5.0 knots

KK42

alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote