Any tips for my first Half Moon Bay trip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Any tips for my first trip from Alameda to Half Moon Bay? Go to Buoy 2 outside the Gate and hang a left? Stay just east of the shipping lane from there? Then continue about 5 to 7 miles offshore heading south? Then?

I don't have a life raft or dinghy, so CeeBee recommended renting one from a local place, which I think I am going to do...just in case.

Obviously, check the weather. Anyone have a preferred source or mobile app for checking sea state?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Best,
Mike

Haven't done the trip...yet! However, whenever we head out the gate we always seem to time the departure with an ebb tide. Don't do that! Go for slack to beginning flood tide. Much smoother ride.

Yes, head out the shipping channel to red, "2" and hang a left. That gives you the Pacific swell at your back (predominant NW swell) as opposed to starboard side (roll). Again, smoother ride.

Remember to shoot past Pillar Point rather than cut the point too close. Shallow rocks will ruin your day. Look for and split the buoys, green, "3" and red, "2" leading into the channel and head back north northwest to Pillar Point Harbor entrance.

I view the current sea state with the app, "Buoy Data".

Good luck!

Haven't done the trip...yet! However, whenever we head out the gate we always seem to time the departure with an ebb tide. Don't do that! Go for slack to beginning flood tide. Much smoother ride.

Yes, head out the shipping channel to red, "2" and hang a left. That gives you the Pacific swell at your back (predominant NW swell) as opposed to starboard side (roll). Again, smoother ride.

Remember to shoot past Pillar Point rather than cut the point too close. Shallow rocks will ruin your day. Look for and split the buoys, green, "3" and red, "2" leading into the channel and head back north northwest to Pillar Point Harbor entrance.

I view the current sea state with the app, "Buoy Data".

Good luck!

Thanks Giggitoni! We followed your advice and had a great trip. Conditions were incredibly calm. 2 foot swells at 14 seconds. Couldn't even feel them. Saw whales (including a humpback about 75 feet from us), dolphins and a seal that grabbed a seagull!

Got a transient slip at Pillar Point Marina. Ate at Barbara's Fish Trap then had drinks at Half Moon Bay Brewing Co.

Great little trip!

Best,
Mike

Glad you made the trip, Mike. Sounds like ideal conditions this time.

Back
Top Bottom