Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #101
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
A very rich Aussie has become the challenger or record within seconds of Oracle winning that way they will have a say in the race rules 4 years from now.

For me I was pleased that TNZ received a great "welcome home" back in Auckland today.

Good onya mate

gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #102

City: Benicia CA
BigJim

Frisco! Damn, you beat me to it! I always say Frisco as that's what everybody called it when I was growing up.

Then some snobby, uppidy type person decided it wasn't dignified enough and word spread around town. I'm definitely anti-politically correct and love to use every time I'm around someone that I think may be offended.

ETNZ was just south of the bay bridge, but I don't remember what the pier number was. Oracle was a bit confusing. I think they were officially listed at pier 50 south of the bridge and I would see them sailing in from that direction sometimes. But they also had a large complex at Treasure Island and when I was flying out of Oakland (with tears in my eyes), Oracle was sailing from Treasure Island towards "Frisco" for that day's races.

When the boats went back to their bases, the wingsails were removed pretty fast and the hulls went into the sheds.

Don't know anything about the batteries or telemetry.

Yes, the crews were in rented apartments.

The people that are spreading rumors about something bad are poor losers and probably also insist that the US government planned the 911 tragedy.

Understand, that both boats were re-measured (inspected) after every modification. Neither could get away with anything illegal no matter what the crybabies say.

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
A very rich Aussie has become the challenger or record within seconds of Oracle winning that way they will have a say in the race rules 4 years from now.

For me I was pleased that TNZ received a great "welcome home" back in Auckland today.

Good onya mate
If this turns out to be official and not a rumor, the official Challenger of Record will actually be the Hamilton Island Yacht Club from Queensland and not Bob Oatley himself. And, delivering the official challenge within seconds of completing the AC regatta is customary. Happens every time.

All Challenger of Records represent all of the challengers in race rules decisions. Just as it was this time. Nothing different here.

The other rumor is that Artemis (Royal Swedish Yacht Club) will be the Challenger of Record. I guess we'll find out in a couple of days.

And, it'll be good to get the Australians back. Them taking the cup in '83 is what really started to make this whole cup thing interesting. Thank you to two of my AC heroes - Alan Bond and John Bertrand!

Yes, ETNZ deserved a great "welcome home". Class act all around.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #104
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
I'll second the comments about NSail's most informative and knowledgeable analysis.

I still have the final race on my DVR and will probably watch it a few more times.... after thinking this AC series was going to be like watching paint dry, or grass grow.. it turned out to be an incredible experience.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #105
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I think we would all add amen, to that..
Old 09-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #106
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Thank you to two of my AC heroes - Alan Bond and John Bertrand! .
Didn't Alan Bond go to jail for swindling shareholders?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #107
Guru

John Bertrand is still held in high esteem.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #108
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
and Alan is still charismatic and can find diamonds down the back of the lounge suite.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #109
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yeah, Bondy is one those truly lovable rogues...'course if you were one of those dudded by him, you would feel differently...
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #110
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I think all of the above apply to Alan Bond.

On balance I think Aussies can live with a crook, as long as he/she is personable crook.You see we are descended from crooks(well some of us anyway). Though he is originally from England.

Also, his life has not been all plain sailing.(sorry, pun not intended)

As we are talking about the cup I will relate the following from a really great free magazine distributed around Sydney called 'Afloat', Bruce has mentioned this mag before.

One of the articles this month hark back to the fabled 83' challenge,written by a guy called Bruce Stannard, he covered the cup 83 regatta as a reporter and also wrote Ben Lexcen's & Dennis Conner's biography, so he knows what's what.

We had two challengers for that series, the first we all know about, the second was also a Lexcen design called 'Challenge 12' without the winged keel. Originally Bond owned it as a back up if the winged keel boat was a dud.It wasn't, so he sold it and the Royal Victoria Yacht Club entered it in the challenge series.

This boat as very competitive, claimed to be better down wind than Australia11. At the end of the first qualifying races, Australia 11was to race the Canadian challenger, which was not in the same league as the flying winged keel boat.

An accident happened on race day, that took out the bowman of Australia 11, and despite the offer from Challenge 12 to lend them their bowman, to enable them to race, they declined and forfeited the race to the Canadians, thereby knocking out Challenger 12 from the series on a point differential.

It seems they were not keen in racing Challenger 12 in the light airs that were prevailing.

Fancy that, Aussie on Aussie skulduggery! Don't you just love the America's Cup.

Postscript. After the elimination the crew were tossed out of the rented accommodation to make way for friends of the syndicate backer, Stannard says most weren't even in Rhode island to watch the main event.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #111
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
This series certainly rekindled my interest. I sure hope they can get the costs down because the 40 kt boats seem to appeal to a much broader audience. They're not the romantic, sexy monohulls of yore, but, hey, this is a contest of speed, not nostalgia.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #112
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If anyone knows how to upload an mp3 file or convert it to another forum-compatible format, let me know.

I have an interesting phone interview with one of the Naval Architects, Paul Beiker in mp3 format. He describes design tweaks made to the foils and using a supercomputer to run analyses of proposed changes.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #113
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Really? Oracle's problem was that they needed to sail 8 degrees further off the wind? That was the miracle fix?

http://tinyurl.com/p4atuga
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #114
Guru

Aussie challengers for next AC were practising on Sydney Harbour last Sunday. Think this is the actual challenger boat, looked suitably sinister. sponsored by Bob Oatley Wines,(deep pockets, esp. after selling Rosemount to Fosters( now Treasury Wine Estates, for lots of $). Upwind tacks looked slow, but after tacking good boatspeed in about 10 knots of breeze.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #115

Very plausible reason for improved performance. Probably one of many.

No, not the actual challenger boat. The actual 35th AC boat design, cup protocol and venue hasn't even been announced yet. Hopefully, by the end of the month.

This is the first Australian AC 45, which will be used for all of the run up events in the next few years. In fact, they were out practicing with Oracle the last few days.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #116
Guru

Thanks Nsail, thought it seemed too early. I saw what I thought was a second boat at the Woolwich dock base with sail logo "Oracle".
Here`s hoping for an exciting challenger selection and race series. May it be more successful than one of our 12M challengers, 'Dame Patty" (named after the wife of a former Prime Minister), renamed "Damn Pity".
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #117
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The Sydney sessions - 35th America's Cup

ORACLE TEAM USA opens training in Sydney

Team Australia AC45 Launch 6 March 2014 Sydney Harbour, Australia

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote