Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,532
Hey, Al! I tried to get on the US team but they told me my boat is too slow....imagine that!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,162
I would think the ability to run surefooted across the trampoline of a 72 within 1.25 seconds would be right up there in requirements. Doing so with chiseled good looks and a kiwi accent would just be all that much the better.

We don't stand a chance, Ray.
__________________

__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
City: EC FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 171
Well, those boats are fast and a real credit to the engineers who designed them.

They leave me cold.

I spent years working for a naval architect/boatbuilder who designed and built his own 12m including the sails, and came within one race of beating Turner/Jobson for the right to defend.

I’m showing my age. Hey kids, get off my lawn!

I suspect the last will not be understood by our down under members. (Hint-It’s a Simpsons ref.)

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #24
Guru
 
gwkiwi's Avatar
 
City: Juno Beach, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 500
Some of my Kiwi brothers on non Kiwi cats have sold their soul to the devil, if they win their passports will end up like Snowdens ..... well not really but it is kind of a sham unless they hold a foreign passport.

I was up in the bay area today and it sure is a great place to sail.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,162
I, too, would like to see it return to national (at least majority) team composition. But I think it works against the smaller nations like Korea, Sweden and Italy.

But in a nod of understanding to all these guys so passionate about this sport, this is their golden opportunity to participate in their cherished activity, regardless of the team. If they don't make their first choice (ETNZ), they can pursue their passions with the other teams for this event. They're living their dreams.

Next time, they'll be in position to compete again for their team. I can certainly understand that.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #26
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Some of my Kiwi brothers on non Kiwi cats have sold their soul to the devil, if they win their passports will end up like Snowdens ......

.
Fear not, it's all part of the cunning plan.

Agent provocateurs to ensure Team Oracle's demise. Type of like a Kiwi version of the infamous under arm ball.(a well known Ozzie/Kiwi sporting bit of skulduggery)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
After watching that video and Oracle Team USA, I didn't realise how similar the American accent is to the Oz/Kiwi version.

Great video though.
Andy, are you just yanking chains, or did you really not know most of the crew on Oracle are Aussies, including James Spithill, the skipper..?

Ok, guess I walked straight into that one...
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I, too, would like to see it return to national (at least majority) team composition. But I think it works against the smaller nations like Korea, Sweden and Italy.
I'm in complete agreement with Al's statement. When one looks at the NBA, one sees a lot of players from other countries and if you really examine MLB, it's hard to find a natural born American on any of the teams. So far, this hasn't happened in the NFL but that's because, other than Canada & a few teams in Europe, most of professional football is played in the U.S. (Yes, Peter....football! )

If the Ausies are better overall than the Americans (and I think they are!) welcome to the U.S, team!
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,251
Fizzling out?

America's Cup 2013 Fizzling, San Francisco Residents Concerned
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
Dauntless Award
 
Wxx3's Avatar
 
City: New York, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
Iím showing my age. Hey kids, get off my lawn!

I suspect the last will not be understood by our down under members. (Hint-Itís a Simpsons ref.)

Mike
Do they still boot people?
__________________
M/Y Dauntless, New York
a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #31
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,162
Some pretty good action today and a surprise equipment failure at around 0:25. Very impressive sailing.

__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #32
Guru
 
gwkiwi's Avatar
 
City: Juno Beach, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Some pretty good action today and a surprise equipment failure at around 0:25. Very impressive sailing.

That was some good racing when I use to sail cats 30 years ago they were a son of a gun to tack or jibe without a head sail

Good on ya mates
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Boydster's Avatar
 
City: Squamish, B.C.
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 221
Just got back from San Francisco last night. We went down with another couple for a very long weekend and I was quite excited about being in town for some of the action. The AC Park was a virtual ghost town while Pier 39 was buzzing with tourists, unless things show serious improvement this could be a bit of an embarrassment for San Fran and a real black eye for the cup. After seeing what I saw I can't imagine why any city would consider hosting the competition. To be fair, this was the Vuitton Cup that we were seeing, the event may pick up steam once the AC racing gets going but three teams???...c,mon.
As impressive as these multihulls are I'd rather see better competition in a larger field of competitors in the slower but more affordable monohulls.
Did get a cool jacket out of it though ;-)
__________________
Everything on your boat is broken...you just don't know about it yet.
Boydster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #34
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I'm in complete agreement with Al's statement. When one looks at the NBA, one sees a lot of players from other countries and if you really examine MLB, it's hard to find a natural born American on any of the teams. So far, this hasn't happened in the NFL but that's because, other than Canada & a few teams in Europe, most of professional football is played in the U.S. (Yes, Peter....football! )

If the Ausies are better overall than the Americans (and I think they are!) welcome to the U.S, team!
Nah, Walt, it's really fartball, not foot ball. For one, they spend all the game bent over in that..well...position, and for another, the only time they actually kick the b***dy ball is for a field goal.

As for teams being limited to nationals - I totally agree.
It was the NZ team that won the Cup when it was in San Diego, and defended it successfully once, which then sold out to the Alinghi team boss, and then went and won it off NZ for Switzerland. Now some of that same team, eg the skipper, Russell Coutts, (had a falling out with Alinghi), are sailing for Oracle, so I hope Dean Barker (Emirates NZ) thrashes them.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #35
Guru
 
gwkiwi's Avatar
 
City: Juno Beach, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
Just got back from San Francisco last night. We went down with another couple for a very long weekend and I was quite excited about being in town for some of the action. The AC Park was a virtual ghost town while Pier 39 was buzzing with tourists, unless things show serious improvement this could be a bit of an embarrassment for San Fran and a real black eye for the cup. After seeing what I saw I can't imagine why any city would consider hosting the competition. To be fair, this was the Vuitton Cup that we were seeing, the event may pick up steam once the AC racing gets going but three teams???...c,mon.
As impressive as these multihulls are I'd rather see better competition in a larger field of competitors in the slower but more affordable monohulls.
Did get a cool jacket out of it though ;-)
I must agree the cats are fun and amazing to watch but not sure how a 2 boat race can make it, most sports that make it are based on the fact that the "normal" person can relate to playing or experiencing it in other words a lot of sailors can relate to racing amongst 10 or 20 other boats. in a normal race if a boat lost its jib as Emirates did that would be the end of their chance for that heat.

In my racing days I don't think I ever had a race that had a field of just 2 boats. in NZ at high school we all raced sailboats that were seen in the Olympics anyway I could go on and it was also 38 years ago when I was sailing in school so maybe it's all changed now maybe they don't even have sailing programs but I sure hope they do
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #36
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,162
The results are in. Well done, Kiwis! See you at the races.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #37
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
I must agree the cats are fun and amazing to watch but not sure how a 2 boat race can make it, most sports that make it are based on the fact that the "normal" person can relate to playing or experiencing it in other words a lot of sailors can relate to racing amongst 10 or 20 other boats. in a normal race if a boat lost its jib as Emirates did that would be the end of their chance for that heat.

In my racing days I don't think I ever had a race that had a field of just 2 boats. in NZ at high school we all raced sailboats that were seen in the Olympics anyway I could go on and it was also 38 years ago when I was sailing in school so maybe it's all changed now maybe they don't even have sailing programs but I sure hope they do
It's match racing mate...that's always been between two boats, irrespective of how many compete in the regatta, it's still one on one. Bit like matchplay at golf. The other form you refer to is what is called fleet racing, so much like stroke play in golf. Go the Kiwis, now for the real cup...
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #38
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,557
I think you guys should give them the old 'Harka' before each race, works on the Wallabies!

For the sake of our northern hemisphere members I will translate;

New Zealand( a small country to the south-east of Australia) enact a Maori war cry to challenge and intimidate the opposition, in this case the Australian rugby team the Wallabies, thus causing fear and loathing at the prospect of playing the All Blacks(the New Zealand national team) and trying(unsuccessfully) not to get belted, as happened yet again last Saturday night. bitter......who me?

However, Aussie memories of many American cup challengers, most unsuccessful, with one brilliant exception, means that we will throw our lot in with the Kiwi's, to at least bring the cup south of the equator.

I well remember one brilliant newspaper headline in an old America's cup challenge, our boat was Gretal 2, I think, she won the race and was disqualified, under protest, by the new York yacht club racing committee.

The headline read;

"Australia rules the waves, America waives the rules"

Let the fun begin.Talk about rich boys with their toys.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #39
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Are there any millionaires still playing? Or is it a billionaire only club now?
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #40
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Uh oh!

Y! SPORTS
__________________

BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012