Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Thanks for posting that link. Had any of the rerports, news or otherwise, reported on the water conditions in the Strait at the time? Was the hull taking something of a beating from the waves or the stresses from rolling and pitching?

The photo in the link in the first post of this thread shows the water to be somewhat lumpy with swells and a few small whitecaps....
We had a lot of wind Thursday and Friday from the South that may have been a contributing factor
Hollywood

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Picture 5 of 6 in the first article shows some pretty nasty seas.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #23
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
This pretty much bears out my point

I have nothing against wood boats, I make a living working on them. My point being that most wood boats are getting pretty old. At least 60 years old. Galvanized iron fasteners destroy the wood they contact over time, especially oak. Bronze fasteners become brittle copper sponges. Copper rivets aren't used much in carvel planked boats. Ribs crack, they get brittle over time and steam bending weakens the wood and makes it brittle. Hard chin boats have lots of places to collect dirt and sawdust, that when allowed to remain wet become dry rot incubators. When these boats get on in age they are nowhere near as strong and flexable as they were new. If you haul a wood boat with a travel lift we double up the straps because they deform so badly. When we put the jacks under them we have to sight the chines and keel to keep the hull lines true. They really need to be hauled on a marine railway. I agree just like any old boat there are many things that can cause sinking as all hoses and exhaust systems thru hulls, shaft logs and rudder stuffing boxes could fail. Most of these items can be see, planking , ribs, rot and fasteners aren't as obvious.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I have nothing against wood boats, I make a living working on them. My point being that most wood boats are getting pretty old. At least 60 years old. Galvanized iron fasteners destroy the wood they contact over time, especially oak. Bronze fasteners become brittle copper sponges. Copper rivets aren't used much in carvel planked boats. Ribs crack, they get brittle over time and steam bending weakens the wood and makes it brittle. Hard chin boats have lots of places to collect dirt and sawdust, that when allowed to remain wet become dry rot incubators. When these boats get on in age they are nowhere near as strong and flexable as they were new. If you haul a wood boat with a travel lift we double up the straps because they deform so badly. When we put the jacks under them we have to sight the chines and keel to keep the hull lines true. They really need to be hauled on a marine railway. I agree just like any old boat there are many things that can cause sinking as all hoses and exhaust systems thru hulls, shaft logs and rudder stuffing boxes could fail. Most of these items can be see, planking , ribs, rot and fasteners aren't as obvious.
And yet there are a dozen 50'-100'+ commercial wood boats in our yard here at most times..and these are Alaska boats that spend their lives in the worst conditions possible.
You couldnt give me a wood boat over 25'.. I can't stand the way they smell.
The only old wood boat I have ever been on that didn't stink was Neil Young's old schooner..but a ton of money was spent on it to keep it that way. I spent a few days snd nights aboard and when I got home I noticed my clothes didn't have "boat stink"..those that have been on a stinky boat know what I mean.
As far as the weather when this boat sank, it was gusting that morning into the low 30's but I would ot thought had she been in good condition it should have been no issue.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I see this vessel's near twin the Monk McQueen "Snowqueen" is for sale for $600K in Anacortes. It is a 42 year old vessel.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote