Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
California Delta Ferry Real McCoy

Rather than cause thread creep on the http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ress-8177.html thread, I figured I'd move the Real McCoy ferry discussion here.

(apologies for the poor quality cellphone camera pix.)

markpierce mentioned that he saw the Real McCoy ferry on the water in his neighborhood. I had an opportunity to ride and photograph the Real McCoy before its retirement and got on the Real McCoy II while it was in the yard being modified.

Here's the Real McCoy which has been removed from service. It was the oldest piece of machinery in the CalTrans inventory; serial number 0001.

Two helms...

It was replaced with the Real McCoy II pictured below, but reliability problems in the drive system immediately surfaced on the new vessel. Real McCoy was placed back into service until repairs and modifications could be made and for months, the original Real McCoy sat tied up to the ferry landing structure, as pictured above, waiting to spring into service if needed.

Here's the Real McCoy II which seems to operate reliably enough to permanently retire the Real McCoy.

Two helms...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Do you suppose it was the original Real McCoy I saw at Mare Island today?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
What route(s) are the McCoys used on?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Do you suppose it was the original Real McCoy I saw at Mare Island today?
I suspect it was. I saw the Real McCoy II operating last week while I was on my way through the fog sturgeon fishing.

Real McCoy (Ryer Island Ferry): Tourists' most wanted hotspots on Google Maps, analyzing Social Media

Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Master and Commander

The several California Delta ferries have very short routes: just across the narrow channels:

"There are four ferries remaining in the Delta that allow public access, but three of them lead to islands that are private property. So there are only two that represent a ferry ride that can be taken by the public, and both are free. One is the Real McCoy, a free-running (no cable) ferry powered by twin diesel engines that takes vehicles across Cache Slough to Ryer Island (and vice versa) and the J-Mack cable-drawn ferry across Steamboat Slough. The other three ferries are a cable-drawn ferry across Little Connection Slough at Herman & Helen’s Marina and a cable-drawn ferry across Middle River to Woodward Island. The Victory II is a handsome free-running ferry that takes vehicles from Jersey Island to both Webb Tract and Bradford Island."
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The several California Delta ferries have very short routes: just across the narrow channels:
Thanks Mark. The link FlyWright put up shows the Google Earth view of the McCoy's run, too.

Just curious, looking at this short run across a narrow waterway, am I correct in assuming that it is more cost-effective to put a ferry here than a bridge?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Just curious, looking at this short run across a narrow waterway, am I correct in assuming that it is more cost-effective to put a ferry here than a bridge?
That's likely. Expensive lifting bridges would be required without blocking navigational use of the channels/sloughs/rivers. Road traffic is relatively light.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Found this tid bit online about the Real McCoy II: This ferry was designed to NOT be able to allow recreational vehicles to use it, even though large school busses and CalTrans equipment uses it. The problem is that due to the ferry design, RV bumpers tend to scrape the ferry deck or ramps at low tides. So now all RV traffic to Ryer Island must use the bridge at the north end of Ryer Island.

though later in the same article they advise anyone with an RV that wants to use the ferry to wait until high tide??? http://www.snugharbor.net/ferries_and_bridges.htm

so not sure if the Real McCoy II can accomodate RVs or not... the ferry is one of two ways to get to Snug Harbor (which has an RV park), thus their having an article about the ferries on their website.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Who'd have thunk that RV owners would need tide tables for the Delta?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Found this tid bit online about the Real McCoy II: This ferry was designed to NOT be able to allow recreational vehicles to use it, even though large school busses and CalTrans equipment uses it. The problem is that due to the ferry design, RV bumpers tend to scrape the ferry deck or ramps at low tides. So now all RV traffic to Ryer Island must use the bridge at the north end of Ryer Island.

though later in the same article they advise anyone with an RV that wants to use the ferry to wait until high tide??? Ferries and Bridges of the Delta

so not sure if the Real McCoy II can accomodate RVs or not... the ferry is one of two ways to get to Snug Harbor (which has an RV park), thus their having an article about the ferries on their website.
Thanks for that, PG. I forgot about Snug Harbor..I rarely get up Steamboat SLough anymore. I used to fish that area extensively with my small Sea Ray. Maybe we should make Snug Harbor one of our delta destinations this summer! I called them a couple of ago and learned that they have dock space with power for boats our size.