Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Guru

For you South FL Cruisers

The Corps of Engineerings has announced yesterday the Moore Haven Lock on the Okeechobee waterway will be closed starting May 14 for about 8 weeks effectively closing the entire waterway.

I intend to return from the Bahamas during this time requiring me to return via the Keys route adding 2 days and $500 in extra fuel. Thats OK, I've never cruised the upper Keys so it'll be my chance to see Miami from the ICW along with Key Largo.

http://cruisersnet.net/category/content-okeechobee/

-- Edited by timjet on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 10:49:19 PM

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: For you South FL Cruisers

Tim, are you going to be in the Abacos?

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
FF
Guru

The Army Corps time frames are frequently dreams.

Plan ahead.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Guru

No idea of your cruising speed but I did the Key Largo to Ft. Myers trip with a friend and his wife on a 49 Defever (7-8 kts) a couple of yrs ago and it was 2 days (he was a late starter though) from Key Largo to Marco Island. We spent the 1st night on the hook somewhere down around Shark River IIRC. Be sure you have mosquito spray that time of the year. The second we spent at a nice marina in Marco where my wife met us for the final day's journey to Fort Myers Shores where my friend and his wife had bought a home. This prompted my wife and I to buy a place in Cape Coral and get out of the Keys!

Gilbert's in Key Largo is convenient. It can handle your boat easily, has fuel, a tiki bar right on the channel, and a pretty darn good restaurant on site. I lived in KL for yrs. If you want more upscale dining just a little further down the bay from Gilberts is Sundowner's (you'd have to anchor and dinghy in) There is also Senor Frijoles next door if you want mexican (VERY casual) they have great chicken Chimichangas. They are operated by the same company so no problem tying up at either one and going over to the other. There are numerous other places accessible by water (see below) but I'd recommend the above.
Jimmy Johnson's Big Chill (Football not NASCAR) good food and nice place but not very "Keysie".
Marley's (across channel from Gilberts)
Snooks (overpriced IMHO bar charging for sunset access)
Bayside Grill
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thats a great trip. The Shark river is a wonderful stop, and with a fast dinghy you can do an amazing amount of exploring. Everglades City- Flamingo a unique experience and a part of Americana that shouldn't be missed. Anchor at the mouth of the river but keep in mind there are big tides around there. Also make sure your screens are in place before sundown. If you're into birds you may be lucky enough to spot a Roseate Spoonbill. This is where John Audobon spent alot of time scetching.Enjoy...
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
FF
Guru

Anchoring further out and there will be fewer bugs , a mile works , but expect the federal marine police to stop by.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
*Yes Don, we are leaving the second week of May. I believe you mentioned in a previous post that your planning an Abacos cruise about that same time.

I hope we can meet perhaps even cross together, though I can only do about 18 kts.

To save time and fuel we have planned to clear customs at Walker Cay, but am open to suggestons.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28

Tim,
If you hit Miami on the way back, give me a call. I'll buy lunch in exchange for cruising stories.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"I'll buy lunch in exchange for cruising stories."

Once Upon a Time,

or

Now This is No Sh**

???????
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
FF wrote:
"I'll buy lunch in exchange for cruising stories."

Once Upon a Time,

or

Now This is No Sh**

???????
*"Once upon a time" are just fairy tales.* "This ain't no S**t" are real sea stories.

-- Edited by JD on Sunday 26th of February 2012 07:05:26 AM
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Wetimjet wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
*Yes Don, we are leaving the second week of May. I believe you mentioned in a previous post that your planning an Abacos cruise about that same time.

I hope we can meet perhaps even cross together, though I can only do about 18 kts.

To save time and fuel we have planned to clear customs at Walker Cay, but am open to suggestons.

*We are planning to be there. *So, sure let's try to hook up.

Walkers is pretty far North. *If there is a rage going on, you can have some real difficulty getting in there. *Unless you just want to see some of the more remote cays, cutting across the bank to Spanish is a much shorter route. *Grand and Double breasted Cays are worth seeing, but you have to be very careful up in that area. If cutting across the bank, uou can anchor at Great Sale, Allans Pensacola and some other spots before clearing customs.

Walkers is great fishing, but little else up there.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 26th of February 2012 09:10:24 AM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T

Hey Guys,

We will be in the Abacos in May as well, pretty much the entire month, actually. Our boat is in GTC, we will fly over around the first, head south for a while then work our way back, crossing (hopefully) around the last week of May.

I seem to be one of the few that actually enjoys e the Northern Abacos as much as the better known spots. I think you are doing it a misservice if you blow through that area, as so many boaters do. I am a big fan of Carters Cay, Powell is also nice. Allen's P is great, but the holding sucks. I always set two anchors there, in two different sand spots. Spanish is fun, we like the bar there, but man, that is one pricey marina.

Would love to hook up if we are there at the same time. Our boat and call name is "Morgan." We have 9 and 13 YO boys, so we tend to be easy to find :-).

Doug

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote