Who is going North or South on the ICW this year??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So where are you now, Don?

GonzoF1 wrote:
So where are you now, Don?
*Tom, we are in St. Augustine.* As usual cruising is fixing your boat in exotic places.* I am thinking about starting a thread entitled "Zantrex, thy name is unreliable".* We are waiting for an inverter to come in tomorrow morning, so we can get started again.* There seems to be no way now to make Carolina Beach by the weekend.* We will hate to miss you and Bess, but maybe on the return.

Awww....too bad!* But, we'll be in NC for a long time to come.* We'll be here when you go back south next season.

What kind of invertor are you getting?** What all*will you run off of it?* We're just now seriously shopping for one.*

Besslb wrote:We're just now seriously shopping for one.*
*We are?!?!
wink.gif

Let this clear your mind of any future confusion:

Attachments

• p1000375.jpg
    p1000375.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 149
Hi,
wanted to restart this thread...
We may be heading south from Boston this summer, not sure how far we may go - Virginia, or beyond.
Any one else doing so? Any advice?
I'm wondering if I should run outside NJ or duck in... thoughts?

Besslb wrote:
Awww....too bad!* But, we'll be in NC for a long time to come.* We'll be here when you go back south next season.

What kind of invertor are you getting?** What all*will you run off of it?* We're just now seriously shopping for one.*
*Bess, sorry that I had not checked back in on this thread. *In the interest of time, I ordered a direct replacement for the Xantrex that failed. *I did not want to go through the making new cable connections, etc. *The inverter is an 1800 watt that is used for the refrigerator, icemaker, and TV/enertainment center. *I have a circuit for an extra freezer when on a long cruise. *In that case we turn off the icemaker. *With all that running it would be too much load for the inverter.

We do not try to run appliances such as microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, lamps or other 115V uses. *We usually crank the 12 KW Northerlights generator for an hour or so in the morning and evenings. *That charges the batteries, gives hot water for dishes and showers, and cooks the meals. *I do much of the cooking on a propane grill on the rear deck. *To load the generator, I will usually turn on some air/heat units when it is on. *This can dehumidify the boat and make a comfortable temperature for going to bed.

Moonstruck has wonderful ventilation. *While swinging on the hook, we usually have a breeze coming through the 8 overhead, screened opening hatches. *Every part of the boat has its opening overhead hatch and screened port lights.

This is making me want to go cruising again!
biggrin.gif

Me too Don, Me too.* Skinny Dippin has fabulous ventilation.* We have*a galley hatch and a center windshield hatch..and three aft facing hatches, and ...7 port lights, and 2 salon doors and the salon windows open too.* One of my upcoming projects is mosquito screens for all of the above so being on the hook will be more pleasant indeed.

My plans this season include Ocracoke (what's the best time of year to cross the sound?). Cape Lookout, Belhaven, Bath and Manteo.

Tom is getting ready to start the electrical project.* I'll make sure he reads your notes about your invertor.

Pictures from Florida would be greatly appreciated.* It's going to be 29 tonight.

Besslb wrote:My plans this season include Ocracoke (what's the best time of year to cross the sound?). Cape Lookout, Belhaven, Bath and Manteo.
*Bess,

We plan on going to Manteo for the 4th of July.*I think the 50' SeaRay is also going. *When we do that trip we either go by way of Ocracoke first and then the one day trip up to Manteo or the other way around to Manteo first*and then on to Ocracoke and*home.

With the 4th being on Wednesday either direction works.* So River Dunes on the Saturday before the 4th (4 hrs), Belhaven on Sunday (6 hrs),*Manteo on Tuesday the 3rd (6 hrs), Ocracoke on the 5th Thursday (7 hrs)*then back to either Oriental (6hrs)*or River Dunes (5 hrs)*on Saturday and back to NB (4 hrs)*on Sunday.* You only use 4 days of vacation that way.* About 360 NM total.* All weather permitting of course.* The reverse trip works as well.* The idea being to be in Manteo for the 4th.* The entertainment and fire works are outstanding. The times are at 6-7 kts

Moonstruck wrote:
I am thinking about starting a thread entitled "Zantrex, thy name is unreliable".* We are waiting for an inverter to come in tomorrow morning, so we can get started again.*

That would be "Xantrex", right?

My charger went belly up and even though there is a factory authorized repair guy in my city, he told me they won't give him schematics or sell him parts.* I bought a different brand.

My Xantrex inverter has a problem as well.* I often have to turn it on several times before it actually goes online and doesn't display an error message.* These don't seem to be repairable either.* When it stops for good, I will purchase a different brand.

I use my inverter for the microwave, coffee maker, and any odd plug in appliances that may be on board.* I have an AC/DC refrigerator and an AC/DC TV/DVD player that's installed to run on DC.* And a propane stove and oven.

-- Edited by rwidman on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 08:54:10 AM

rwidman wrote:"Who is going North or South on the ICW this year??"

Living in Charleston, SC, those are pretty much the only two choices we have.

I'm trying to talk my wife into a trip to FL and up the St Johns river but she says she isn't comfortable with that long a trip (4 weeks) yet.* ...........

Well, it's been almost a year and things have changed.* My wife's mother passed away recently at age 75, just seven years older than me.* And for the last few years of her life she was not having much fun, pretty much just going to doctor's appointments and sitting around the house.

I pointed this out to my wife and told her there were things I wanted to do in life while I still can, one of them being the FL trip.* She has pretty much agreed to it although of course, there are still things that might get in the way.

So, with luck, the trip is on for late spring.

Ron - sorry to hear about your wife's mother.* But good news on the possible cruise this spring!!!!* It's so true...our allotted time is unknown....if you get the chance to go cruising, you totally should!

7 weeks till Spring ya'll!!*

Besslb wrote:
Ron - sorry to hear about your wife's mother.* But good news on the possible cruise this spring!!!!* It's so true...our allotted time is unknown....if you get the chance to go cruising, you totally should!

7 weeks till Spring ya'll!!*

As warm as it's been in Charleston this week, I ought to just pack the boat and go now!

Bringing our new to us boat up from Manteo to the Chesapeake. I will be working for a living while the Captain, our son and our awesome broker Captain Mike Dickens bring her up the first week in April.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom