Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #61
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Youdaman, Daddyo. No one at the YC bar will be able to top your stories. You had a lot of people concerned and pulling for you and your family. It was a big relief when you were still there in the morning. Please fill us in on details when time allows. Good job.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #62
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Yup Details. Wanna know everything.
How the wind sounded, how the snubbers worked. Did you get any real big waves comming through?

It was the coolest thing being able to view the AIS thing. I am so proud of you I could stand on my head and spit wooden deck cleats.

So get it on bro lets have a novel.

Sd

Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #63
Guru

We are way downunder, but join in congratulating Daddyo on coming through unscathed. When time and other things permit, how about a detailed report on the experience? I`m not only interested in what happened, but there could be lessons for all of us when for we get caught out.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #64
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Hey all!
To answer a few questions and share what I learned. First of all scope is everything. Second you need to take into account the tide surge and how it will effect your scope. The ground tackle on this boat is from the PO who never anchored out. As such it is inadequate given the boats weight. However weight can be a double edge sword in that because of her weight (30tons) there is much less jerking on the chain. That said beefing up the chain and capstan from the current 5/16" was on the short list. I used rubber collapsible type hose split in half and wrapped on the line held in place with zip ties. I feed the lines over both horns of the hawse pipes. The grabber was standard hardware store galvanized 5/16 hook with a screw shackle and a galvanized hoop to avoid any chafe possibilities at the grabber end. I'll post a picture of this tomorrow. I did check for chafing but never had to make any adjustments. The crew talked through the three most likely emergency scenarios so if it happened they would know how to respond:
Windshield blowout
Dragging
Ground tackle failure
Of course there is always the obvious of fill your tanks as best you can for time on the hook, lack of these things on the shore when you return and for ballast. Absolutely no adult libations. When you pick your spot I would always opt for swing room vs slightly less exposure. If your boat has excessive windage or is light then do not attempt this if at all avoidable!!! You or most likely others around you will drag. As for the sounds, as most of you have experienced it is much like a squall line that last for two days. You have to relax or the longevity and the strain will make you stupid with fatigue. Your boat was designed to point into the wind and float. In our case the ability to assist others helped us take our minds off our own situation and was beneficial. Stay calm and enjoy Mother Nature's fury.
http://graceyachting.com/
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #65
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Thanks for depiction Daddyo - You and family truly did great!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #66
Scraping Paint

City: -
Daddyo--- How did you happen to pick this particular spot to anchor? Had you used it before, or knew of it from others, or figured it out on a chart, or.....
Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #67

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Just have to ask, and I am not questioning you have every right to do as you please but after securing the boat best as possible why not seek a potentianally safe shelter for you and yours. Not trying to start anything just asking. I have rode out some massive storms and seas, albiet on Naval Destroyers and Frigates and that had scared the crap out of me on several occasions and those ships are between 350 and 560 foot long. Just curious. Like I said in an earlier post HUGE BRASS ONES.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #68

May I respectfully ask if the boat would have survived just fine had it been left unmanned? Or was your presence key in saving your boat?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #69
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
marinetraffic.com now shows Grace and Daddyo heading off over land with speed at one point of 35.5 kts! That Danforth must really be dragging big time all of a sudden!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #70
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
I'll have to join this chorus ... remaining on a small boat at anchorage in the path of a hurricane is not considered a measure of good judgment. Allowing others to remain borders on something far worse.

"Or was your presence key in saving your boat?" The better question is - was saving the boat worth risking your life and those of your passengers? I guess if the Bounty had survived some folks would say the captain and crew had big brass ones as well ... what are they saying now? What are the folks in the YC bar really saying?

C'mon folks, this is recreational boating and the boat is a toy. It is a hobbyist's tool, saving it is not worth dying for or asking anyone else to risk dying for. Replacing the toys is what insurance is for.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #71
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I'll have to join this chorus ... remaining on a small boat at anchorage in the path of a hurricane is not considered a measure of good judgment. Allowing others to remain borders on something far worse.
It was obviously a measure of fair seamanship. Congrats on getting your vessel through the storm and protecting her from raging main. Good on ya.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #72
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Hummmmmmmmmm, and you knew Daddyo that the anchor system was "inadequate" prior to anchoring. Be sure to bless your good fortune and read the press about the decisions leading Bounty's demise.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #73
Scraping Paint

Please don't equate "sh**house luck" with seamanship. There may be readers who believe that sort of stuff.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Please don't equate "sh**house luck" with seamanship. There may be readers who believe that sort of stuff.
I see he still has his vessel.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #75
Scraping Paint

As do the owners of many other unmanned vessels. The owners who lost boats didn't have to swim ashore or risk someone else's life to be rescued. They just called the insurance company from the safety of their home.

"May I respectfully ask if the boat would have survived just fine had it been left unmanned? Or was your presence key in saving your boat?"

- Mahal
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #76
Guru

Quote:
"May I respectfully ask if the boat would have survived just fine had it been left unmanned? Or was your presence key in saving your boat?"
If that is your assumption... then he was in no danger at all.

Many skippers take their boats to safe anchorage. It's not the sea that claimed most of those boats... it was the shore.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #77
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Some have hailed Daddyo as a hero. I am not among that group. I'm glad he and his family survived the ordeal, but I still think it was a foolish thing to do.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Some have hailed Daddyo as a hero.
Not saying hero, but giving credit where due. He rode out the storm aboard his boat. He survived and his boat and family survived. Good for him.

I may have made a different decision, but I don't find fault in him making the one he did.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #79
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
After see what happened to the boats tied to a dock/shore, maybe being at anchored was a good alternative? Find a protective spot with a good holding bottom is very important. This is shown by the anchor/rode site FF gave. http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/rode/synthesis/synt.htm Using the formula in 100 MPH winds if the bottom holding is good/excellent and the scope of 6 to 8 a 65lb anchor should hold. For a mud bottom the Danforth which has a big fluke area is recommended. Also they where not swinging very much so the pull was straight on which also helped. I think he did it right and had the right ground tackle. Staying on the boat would be a toss up, as some areas of shore did not fair well either with the surge.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
Not saying hero, but giving credit where due. He rode out the storm aboard his boat. He survived and his boat and family survived. Good for him.

I may have made a different decision, but I don't find fault in him making the one he did.
When trying to ride out a storm, regardless of experience and level of preparation, we cannot be certain of the result. So if he and his wife and kids did not survive the storm or got seriously injured, would you still not find fault in him?

Closed Thread