Old 06-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Upper Hudson River Cruising

We’re new to the Albany region river boating scene and currently have our new to us 2005 Mainship slipped in Coeymans. We are looking to explore south.

This weekend we’d like to spend an overnight away from the marina tied to a dock or wall. We have only anchored in the tidal Hudson River once last weekend (our first week on the river) and we were in an inlet during the day. I prefer to spend some time at anchor during the tidal and current shifts prior to staying on the hook in the open river over night.

We’re interested in knowing if anyone knows of a dock or wall that is safe enough overnight between Coeymans and Kingston.

We’re looking to explore further south, but need some practice with the new boat and anchor before we spend the night on the hook.

Also, we saw a 'private' but very large dock across on Coxsockie Island across from the marina/yacht club. Does anyone know if one can tie up there over night. Capt Bob's anchorages (book) does not address this.

Thanks, JimL
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Kingston has a few spots, the dock in front of the museum and the town marina; we loved spending a few days there. Not free though if that's what you are looking for. You used to be able to go a little further up to the end of navigation on the creek and anchor, but it may be filled with moorings and locals now. Catskill is another pretty marina and little town.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #3

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
I'm in Kingston as we speak, tied to the dock at Ole Savannah Restaurant. It's free for overnight if you eat there, which I did. Pretty good food and a fair floating dock . Very nice little town. Maybe 100' of face dock and 3 slips for 30' or less.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #4

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Smile

We are a little south from Kingston and love exploring the Hudson.

I can wrangle for a night at Poukeepsie Yacht Club.

Let me know.

Jim
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. Due to the weather we probably won't get as far south as Kingston this weekend, but will keep the options in mind for the next excursion. We have 9 days ear marked to explore south in late July - early August. We want to be able to cover the close in trips prior to then.

JimL
Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Did you buy the 2005 37 motoryacht the had for sale at Coeymans last summer? With the LCD screen on the aft deck? That was such a nice boat. We took delivery of ours in Newport, motored it to Coeymans and they did a fantastic job for us dismantling and loading for shipping. For a little while that 37 and our 37 were slipped next to each other, it was cool to see.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:16 AM   #7
Guru

If you want to go to a nice safe anchorage, go south and up into Houtailings Island (I probably spelled that wrong).
I have anchored there several times, no real worries there. Good holding, not much effect from currents.

Oh and does that restaurant at Coeymans still offer that calamari sampler platter? I remember that well.
Attached Thumbnails
500x250.jpg  
Attached Images

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
Guru

City: LI or Fla
I would also look to explore north up into Lake Champlain, day and 1/2 you'll be on the lake.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
FF
Guru

The big hassle with the Hudson is RR trains run down both sides!

Night and day.

The tidal portion is way south of Albany , so there should be no reversing tidal action on your anchor set.

Tugs and barges will go by at speed so use the BIG anchor light.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Guru

The current still shifts at Albany. Today at the Albany station for instance the ebb is about a knot at both 7:30am and 7:45 pm. Flood is a little less than half a knot on the opposite shifts.
I loved trying to play the current up and down the Hudson and getting a free ride. The trafficked through train tracks are on the east side of the river virtually the entire way. None along on the west side until you get to Albany where it crosses over.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #11

Thanks all. And yes, the restaurant at Coeymans Landing still has great food!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #12

Shady Harbor Marina has a great restaurant and marina. Brian Donavan and his crew will take excellent care of you.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Guru

That's some gourmet cruising up there, literally and figuratively. I'm envious! Hope you can enjoy a great summer exploring that fantastic cruising ground.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
1. The big hassle with the Hudson is RR trains run down both sides!

2. Night and day.

3. The tidal portion is way south of Albany.

4. Tugs and barges will go by at speed so use the BIG anchor light.

1. True.
2. True.
3. Not true. Even Albany has ebb or flood current. Not much flood, depending upon season and fresh water runoff 'freshette' level.
4. Very true. Don't anchor In (or near) the channel.

From Coeymans: Hudson, Catskill, Saugerties are your stop off destinations for dockage. None are free. But, as with most things. You don't get something for nothing.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #15
Guru

Nope, 1 is not true.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #16
Guru

The freight trains have not (to my knowledge) been an issue with navigation in the Hudson. But they do affect sleep at night.
Guess you're not aware of the freight trains that run the west shore from Haverstraw bay to Ravena (amost always within sight of the shore, but always within earshot on a quiet night) From Hudson north the passenger (east bank) runs along, but out of sight mostly but, again, within earshot. Either bank has the trains running along or not far inland for about 100 miles from Tomkins Cove to Albany.

Back to the OP question, small day trips between Coeymans and Kingston have several potential stops. Athens is another quiet old place with nothing to do but row around, take a quiet walk or fish. There is a small landing on the east bank opposite the cement dock in Cementon, just north of silver point. Then about 6 miles south of Cementon is Saugerties. A nice quiet creek, with small tie up if you're looking for a lot of nothing.

I would recommend studying the currents. It has taken running commercially on the Hudson for over 20 years to know the ins and outs of the current. On the upper half of the river You can have about 7 hours of ebb current to make your down bound trip faster. But you will only have about 5 hours of flood. So you have to learn to ride the coming crest of the tide to get as much bang for the buck to help you on your trip. You can ride the ebb much easier, and have a larger window to go as far/fast as you want. But riding the flood back up north is trickier, because the window of flood tide moves northward making a smaller window of fair when northbound. Think of riding the northbound flood like surfing a wave. You have to 'catch the wave' to ride it as long as possible at the correct time. Or you miss the wave, and only get either the first or the last of the fair current.

Of course if you have a high speed boat and don't care about fuel consumption...... Then have at it. (but then why would you be on a trawler forum?)
Old 06-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
I'm in Kingston as we speak, tied to the dock at Ole Savannah Restaurant. It's free for overnight if you eat there, which I did. Pretty good food and a fair floating dock . Very nice little town. Maybe 100' of face dock and 3 slips for 30' or less.

Rafe
Did you just go through Albany this Morning? Saw you running by with envy.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgenson3 View Post
Shady Harbor Marina has a great restaurant and marina. Brian Donavan and his crew will take excellent care of you.
I can second that one. Shady Harbor was one of our favorite marinas and favorite dinners on that whole long trip.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #19

Brian wanted me to tell everyone that you can stay at his place, on his dock. You can see the current cycles right on his dock. He will fill you in on the Hudson and take take you over to the hook and teach you how to anchor. 😊😊

I hope this helps.

Jim
Old 06-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #20
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Listen to Cappy, I assure you he knows what he speaks...Does the run way more than most "residents" take his advice or don't..
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote