Old 06-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #21

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Jim, Did I see you at Shady Harbor over the Memorial Day weekend? That is now our home port.

JimL
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #22

Shady Harbor is my home port. I know Brian and his team very well by now.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:10 AM   #23

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Nope not me but we might be up this weekend. If not we will be up mid July. Say hello for me.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #24

City: Cairo, NY
"The Point" in Catskill ( on starboard upon entering the creek) has a few town slips that are free. The docks are plastic, a little wobbly, but useable. At Athens, the town park has a large dock that can be used for a tie up. It's free also ( it's on the west channel) and the entire west channel is decent anchoring save for boat wakes during the day. 15' of water if my memory is correct.
exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #25

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

We'll be staying at the Kingston City Docks this weekend.

However next week we are planning a trip to NYC and into LI Sound. We have nine days and would appreciate recommendations of where to visit in LI Sound given the travel times. we are planning and the first stop near Newburg +/-, and then the next night at Liberty Landing Marine with a couple days to visit NYC, followed by a movement through Hells Gate to LI Sound. Any recommendations as to where to land the first night after Liberty Landing Marine into LI Sound and follow on ports, considering we have nine days to get back to New Baltimore? We would like to stay on the hook for one night or a morning ball, and the marina's for the rest. Average cruise speed is 10-12 knots.

Jim L

Old 07-15-2016, 03:41 AM   #26

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Oyster Bay is a beautiful stop has mooring balls, anchorage and docks. During the weekday should not be an issue for any choice. Nice restaurant and brewery. Nice cruise from liberty landing.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #27
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
For moorings in LIS, Manhassett Bay is an option. The town of Port Washington maintains 20 free guest moorings, and offers launch service for a small fee. It's not far from Liberty Landing, just over 30 nautical miles according to my most recent log book.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #28
Guru

+1 for Manhasset Bay. Oyster Bay is also nice.

Then try Mattatuck Inlet. North side of LI. Go all the way to the end and there is a small extremely well protected anchorage and a dinghy dock w/short walk to town. Also a marina there.

From there might I suggest Sag Harbor. If you can get under the 20 ft fixed bridge (I lower my mast) there is a great anchorage just to starboard. Sag is great stop for food, supplies, people watching, etc.

And don't miss Block Island
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We've stayed on moorings in Manhasset as well as the Manhasset Marina, which is basically "in town". Lots of large store shopping and restaurants in walking distance. But we prefer Oyster Bay as a place to anchor out; much more low key and scenic with a variety of options depending on the weather. The moorings there are expensive, and there is excellent holding just east of them. Lovely little village on shore, and great beach on the north side, which also can be a good place to anchor off. Lot's of dinghy exploring opportunity.

Given the time frame in the OP, Mattacuck among other great eastern LI destinations is going to to be too far. IMO a "must visit" location that is an easy cruise from OB is the Thimble Islands. You'll feel like you've been transported to Maine. Lots of anchoring options if you nose around a bit though the good ones will get tight on a summer weekend. Both Oyster Bay and the Thimbles are places where we always seemed to dawdle another day than originally planned.

EDIT: Funny how memory works; I just went back and checked, and The Thimbles are all of 4 nm closer to Oyster Bay than Matticuck: 40nm from the entrance vs 44nm. Still would be my top choice by far.

Ann also reminded me about the Sand Hole, at the entrance to OB as a fun weekday place to drop the hook and beach comb. Also, that Cold Spring harbor right off OB looked like a lovely anchorage when we explored it via the Whaler.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #30

Thanks for all the recommendations. We do not have a dink at this time, so any hooking or anchorages will require a water taxi.

We have reservations for Liberty Landings Marina and initially were going to Port Wash. Link up plans have changes and now we want to proceed further east at 11 knots for 4-5 hours from Liberty Landing. That leads us past Oyster Bay and almost to Port Jefferson or Sinai Bay. Any recommendations on the NY or CT sides of the Sound?

Appreciate the assistance. This is our first venture into LI Sound.

Jim
Old 07-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"now we want to proceed further east at 11 knots for 4-5 hours from Liberty Landing. That leads us past Oyster Bay and almost to Port Jefferson or Sinai"

I guess you forgot the fact that the East river is very tidal with a good flow .

The 4-5K current may change the planned 11K cruise to 7K or up to 15K.

Leaving the lower bay after low tide after the flood starts is the best option.

After passing the Throgs Neck Bridge getting into LI Sound ,you will find the incoming tide is now against you.

In theory you could catch the last of the flood up the East river and hit the sound at high tide to enjoy the K or 2 of the ebb.

Reeds will help. with all the river and LI Sound tidal current flows.

Going up the East river is EYE CANDY , Hell Gate is a tiny bit of sport and past "LA Garbage" (LGA) airport is interesting if the wind is right.

Perhaps a slower more enjoyable day than just a delivery? I would shoot for Oyster Bay , a delight.

Good cruising
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #32

FF, Your advice is what I'm looking for. I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #33
Guru

City: Northport
"That leads us past Oyster Bay and almost to Port Jefferson or Sinai Bay. Any recommendations on the NY or CT sides of the Sound?"

You do not say if you have kids or what you like to do and see but there are options just past OB. There are very sheltered harbors on both sides of the sound that have easy access without dinghies on town docks. On the Ct side is Norwalk that has the town dock right next to town the swing bridge and the aquarium. There are many restaurants and a few trinket and art stores in a very small town a short walk away.
On the sound side is Northport town dock which is similarly featured right in a small town with many restaurants , ice cream parlors and a small brewery less than a few hundreds yards away. Both have marine supply stores within a reasonable walk off the docks and both have marina options as well if desired.
On weekends it is best to get to these docks early if staying overnight as they fill up on busy days - each has water and electric hookups.
If you head to Northport town dock and will be there on the weekend perhaps let us know as our daughter is the dockmaster there and will be on shift.

Have fun & hope this helps
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #34

Smitty447,

Thanks for the information and recommendations. We may take you upon your offer as we get closer.

Appreciate your advice.

Are you located in Northport?

Jim
Old 07-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #35
Guru

City: Northport
Hello Jim,

We have boated out of Northport for over 20 years now owning a mooring or two for most of that time in Northport. We just sold the last boat we had and now are down to zero boats for the first time since 1986.
Once out of Northport harbor Norwalk is a 7 nm run at almost exactly zero degrees so it makes for a common trip for folks in this area.
As others have said the tides can make a larger difference in cruising time and costs as we would go up the Hudson often to at least Kinsgton or Catskill. Planning can make a larger difference and calling ahead to make sure the Spyten Dyvil was operating became a ritual.
Whether Northport or Norwalk you can call ahead on the VHF to help you get a spot once you are reasonably close by - weekends are busy at both locations in the summer.
Weather continues to look good so have a great trip.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote