Turks and Caicos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Who's done it? Was thinking of maybe checking it out as this summer we plan to do the Exumas, Long Island, and then Crooked. It's not too far from crooked so maybe why not?

I've been there a number of times. What would you like to know?

You could call me if you'd like.

We checked in from the south on Grand Turk, Cockburn Town. Real sleepy but very nice. You have to watch where you anchor because of the dive operators/reefs in front of town. We gunk holed our way north, checked out of Providenciales (Provo). There are 4 or 5 marinas there and pretty developed but good fishing in season not far from the marinas. Similar economy to the Bahamas ($$). Diving is a big draw. If you have the time, why not? You'll be there in the perfect time of the year. Not sure about free diving with a gun or a sling.

Last edited:
We checked in from the south on Grand Turk, Cockburn Town. Real sleepy but very nice. You have to watch where you anchor because of the dive operators/reefs in front of town. We gunk holed our way north, checked out of Providenciales (Provo). There are 4 or 5 marinas there and pretty developed but good fishing in season not far from the marinas. Similar economy to the Bahamas ($$). Diving is a big draw. If you have the time, why not? You'll be there in the perfect time of the year. Not sure about free diving with a gun or a sling.

Thanks, we'll most likely goto a marina then explore with the dink. Not much of a diver myself, but I do bottom fish and troll. Thanks for the info!

If you're going to stay in a marina then your choices on Provo are Turtle Cove and Blue Haven.

They both require you to come in throught the barrier reef out front. Not a big deal, either marina will send out. guide boat if need be. But if it blows up out of the North you can get stuck at the marina till the seas lay down.

Blue Haven is the old Nikki Beach property reopened. Nice marina with nice floating docks. Swim up bar at the pool. Lots of big boats. Far from town though.

Turtle Cove is more layed back and you can in most cases drive your rental car right up next to the boat. It is also very close to good shopping and supply stores. And you have several restaurants and bars with in walking distance. Carol the long time marina manager there will be glad to help you with whatever you might need.

There are some very good resturants on Provo.

Be aware electricity is expensive there.

The islands there have a very colorful history. Both in the distant and recent past.

If you want to get a feel for what the Bahamas and most of the Caribbean was like 50 or so years ago, head over to Salt Cay. You'll have to anchor out. But it's a cool place. And if you're there during the right time of the year the Humpbacks can come swimming right passed your stern while you're anchored up.

A great anchorage to stage from before heading over is Abrahams Bay in Mayaguana.

If you're going to stay in a marina then your choices on Provo are Turtle Cove and Blue Haven.

They both require you to come in throught the barrier reef out front. Not a big deal, either marina will send out. guide boat if need be. But if it blows up out of the North you can get stuck at the marina till the seas lay down.

Blue Haven is the old Nikki Beach property reopened. Nice marina with nice floating docks. Swim up bar at the pool. Lots of big boats. Far from town though.

Turtle Cove is more layed back and you can in most cases drive your rental car right up next to the boat. It is also very close to good shopping and supply stores. And you have several restaurants and bars with in walking distance. Carol the long time marina manager there will be glad to help you with whatever you might need.

There are some very good resturants on Provo.

Be aware electricity is expensive there.

The islands there have a very colorful history. Both in the distant and recent past.

If you want to get a feel for what the Bahamas and most of the Caribbean was like 50 or so years ago, head over to Salt Cay. You'll have to anchor out. But it's a cool place. And if you're there during the right time of the year the Humpbacks can come swimming right passed your stern while you're anchored up.

A great anchorage to stage from before heading over is Abrahams Bay in Mayaguana.

Bill, thanks. Just the info i needed! Added that to my waypoint notes.

The swell / surge in the cut in the reef for Turtle Cove is such that a displacement trawler may have to wait days to safely exit the cut. The sport fish line up at the cut and fly out at speed to avoid being pushed against the reef.

The time of year you are planning to go, the northerlies are pretty much gone and the water/air temps have warmed up. I'm not saying you won't see any winds from the north but not like you do during the winter. June and July winds at Provo, statistically, have the least amount, if any northerly component, then any other time of the year.

Im thinking South Side Marina, it's protected and doesn't have a barrier reef to get rough. Floating docks, and the AC reviews are 5 Star. Looks good, then we'll probably use the big tender to check out the near islands/cays near out. Also Blue Haven looks nice.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. O. Admiral's interested. IF the long list of deferred maintenance gets completed, I'll have my people call your people...
when-your-girlfriend-calls-to-tell-you-her-problems.gif

Im thinking South Side Marina, it's protected and doesn't have a barrier reef to get rough. Floating docks, and the AC reviews are 5 Star. Looks good, then we'll probably use the big tender to check out the near islands/cays near out. Also Blue Haven looks nice.

What's your draft?

Hmmm......might need a high tide to get in and out of South Side. Not much there and you'll definitly need a rental car to get anywhere.

Hmmm......might need a high tide to get in and out of South Side. Not much there and you'll definitly need a rental car to get anywhere.

Yes the more I looked into it it's not the best choice. Blue haven looks great, the Mrs. will like the resort.

Back
Top Bottom