A Trip to St Augustine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbum29

Guru
We just did over 200 miles last week.

Planning another trip up to St Augustine. I haven't calculated distance yet.

We just did over 200 miles last week.

Planning another trip up to St Augustine. I haven't calculated distance yet.

I usually figure about 50 miles from St. Augustine to Daytona. Nice to be that close. Great weekend trip.:thumb:

I usually figure about 50 miles from St. Augustine to Daytona. Nice to be that close. Great weekend trip.:thumb:

That's not bad. About a 5 hr cruise.

Not sure about the town marina by the bridge. Seems like the current is fast through there and may be difficult to get in and out of the slip.

Any suggestions near Old City?

2 hours inside for us including waiting for the Flagler Beach bridge. Easy trip.

The city marina, I understand, has installed a breakwater near the Bridge of Lions. Depending on when you arrive, I would ask for a slip that you can enter against the current. If they have one open they will usually let you have it. You can tie up temporarily at the long fuel dock to look the situation. For a short stay, this is the best place. The marinas on the San Sebastion River are a long walk. The City Marina puts you right in the middle of everything. Their staff is usually very good, too. I love the place.:dance:

2 hours inside for us including waiting for the Flagler Beach bridge. Easy trip.

The city marina, I understand, has installed a breakwater near the Bridge of Lions. Depending on when you arrive, I would ask for a slip that you can enter against the current. If they have one open they will usually let you have it. You can tie up temporarily at the long fuel dock to look the situation. For a short stay, this is the best place. The marinas on the San Sebastion River are a long walk. The City Marina puts you right in the middle of everything. Their staff is usually very good, too. I love the place.:dance:

2 hours inside? Your boat must fly!!

I'm thinking the only draw bridge is the rt 16 one? Right?

2 hours inside? Your boat must fly!!

I'm thinking the only draw bridge is the rt 16 one? Right?

Yep, I think it is right behind Flagler Beach. It has a very low clearance. We usually cruise at close to 30mph. Take out some time for no wake travel through there. It will probably average about 25 mph. I am quoting mph because the ICW is marked in statute miles.

... I am quoting mph because the ICW is marked in statute miles.

That's interesting. I never knew that. Is that along the entire length or just in the Area of NASCAR Influence (ANI) south of the Mason-Dixon line? :socool:

Don, your boat's so fast, you should have a blue spoiler (with the Confederate flag, of course) on the back to keep the transom down. Maybe HH can help us all visualize that one.

Yep, I think it is right behind Flagler Beach. It has a very low clearance. We usually cruise at close to 30mph. Take out some time for no wake travel through there. It will probably average about 25 mph. I am quoting mph because the ICW is marked in statute miles.

The bridge in Flagler Beach is Rt 100 and it's a high bridge.

South at Highbridge, in Ormond Beach is a drawbridge. I forgot about that one.

You do have a fast boat!!!

I probably average 15-17 mph

Last edited:
That's interesting. I never knew that. Is that along the entire length or just in the Area of NASCAR Influence (ANI) south of the Mason-Dixon line? :socool:

Don, your boat's so fast, you should have a blue spoiler (with the Confederate flag, of course) on the back to keep the transom down. Maybe HH can help us all visualize that one.

No transom just a net there to keep down wind resistance.:) No flags but courtesy flags when cruising. They don't last very long. We will display colors when arriving. I've shredded a lot of pennants, burgees, and flags. Just take them in when getting underway. Courtesy flags always have to be displayed. I have one to stitch up now.

If your unsure about docking in the current, stay on one of the town moorings. You get dinghy tie up at the town marina (200 yds away), a better view of the town, and privacy.

If your unsure about docking in the current, stay on one of the town moorings. You get dinghy tie up at the town marina (200 yds away), a better view of the town, and privacy.

Haven't added davits or a Dinghy yet

:(

Guess I should remove my flybridge to try and keep up with Moonstruck???

Last edited:
Haven't added davits or a Dinghy yet

:(

Guess I should remove my flybridge to try and keep up with Moonstruck???

Come on. It's been pretty lonely out there.:)

They have a water taxi that works the mooring fields. Notice that the mooring fields are both north and south of the bridge.

Come on. It's been pretty lonely out there.:)

They have a water taxi that works the mooring fields. Notice that the mooring fields are both north and south of the bridge.

Makes sense. We will finally try out the genset.

What time does the taxi run to?

Last edited:
Makes sense. We will finally try out the genset.

What time does the taxi run to?

Not certain about the hours. I think it runs every 2 hours, but I don't know how late. Better phone the marina.

Not certain about the hours. I think it runs every 2 hours, but I don't know how late. Better phone the marina.

We will, thanks.

Does this look like yours?

ForumRunner_20130715_172640.jpg

I'm with SF. We stopped in St. Augustine last month for a few days. We took a mooring for $20/day with free pump out. We didn't need the AC/genset with the nice ocean breeze. The dinghy dock is big with plenty of room.

If you do want the dock, they had plenty of space. Dock or mooring, it's a good stop. :)

When the St Aug mooring field was originally installed there were two significant problems -

1. You were required to tie up at the fuel dock to get your mooring assignment which meant you had to deal with the current, and

2. The pendents were way too short. A boat of any size with a husband wife crew had a hell of a time getting a line thru the loop to tie up.

I’m guessing Larry knows if these problems have been fixed.

Other than that it’s a great place to “moor” .

Mike

We enjoy MoJo barbeque and Scarlett O'Hara's.

Scarlett is kinda a college bar but has great pulled pork and their chicken is really good.

Reasonable.

MoJo has the best burnt ends I've ever had!!@

When the St Aug mooring field was originally installed there were two significant problems -

1. You were required to tie up at the fuel dock to get your mooring assignment which meant you had to deal with the current, and

2. The pendents were way too short. A boat of any size with a husband wife crew had a hell of a time getting a line thru the loop to tie up.

I’m guessing Larry knows if these problems have been fixed.

Other than that it’s a great place to “moor” .

Mike

We called 20 minutes out. We mentioned it was our first time, had a dog and would like good access to town if possible. He gave us our mooring assignment with good directions. When we go there it was between the Fort and the bridge, about perfect!

The pendent? I don't remember but our bow is 8' off the water and we did it.

And as Mike says, "it's a great place to moor" and the town has about everything to you'd want. :thumb:

We spent a night anchored in the creek behind the Sea Ray factory in Flagler Beach. The next day we had a very pleasant 5-6 hour cruise to St. Augustine.

We hung on a mooring in St. Augustine over the Memorial Day weekend. We had a great time.

It can be a bit rolly in the mooring field though, it is right off the ICW.

The tour of Castillo de San Marco was great; they even had live cannon fire.

Our favorite place was “The Rendezvous” on St. George St. They have a gazillion different imported beers.

The water taxi runs until 6pm. Have fun. KJ

1429-albums130-picture575.jpg

1429-albums130-picture576.jpg

anyone know if dogs are allowed on the water taxi in St Augustine?

Back
Top Bottom