Old 05-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

City: Sorrento, Fl
Vessel Name: The Path
Vessel Model: Northwestern 45
Leaving Daytona Fl (July 2nd) to Bimini then to Exumas

1 month trip if anyone is going to be around to join in, or meet up. Traveling in a 50' Trawler.

If anyone has any suggestions as to the routes to take from Bimini I would owe you many beers and some good cigars
gun45boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Do you have the Explorer Chartbook? If not I would recommend getting the Exuma one, perhaps also the Near Bahamas one. All of the route options are on there.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

Yes, I just ordered the Exuma's explorer maps. Thank you for the suggestion and taking the time to respond.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Guru

BTW, why are you headed through Bimini, is it because you want to visit there as well? That isn't the usual route when coming from north or central Florida.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 45. IF you do come to Bimini (We're here now) and are looking for a good, inexpensive take out place, CJ's or A Taste of Heaven (bakery and take away). Massive lunch today (Taste of Heaven) Sweet and sour wings, yellow rice, double mac and cheese-$10. Enough left over for dinner. Daily meals are $6, $8 and $10.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gun45boat View Post
1 month trip if anyone is going to be around to join in, or meet up. Traveling in a 50' Trawler.

If anyone has any suggestions as to the routes to take from Bimini I would owe you many beers and some good cigars
Have you been to the Bahamas before? Do you like tourist areas or prefer being away from it all? Or a mix? What are you looking to do during the month?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:

Routes to where?

The routes are pretty much payed out for you in/on the Explorer charts.

Be advised, while not officially open, you most likely would be able to get a slip there if you needed to. And they have fuel.

And the pool is open. Just not the pool bar.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #8

Thats great news. Thanks for the information. I have never been to the Exumas, and was just thinking about hitting up Bimini then head to the Exumas, but if you guys think it is better to hit up a different route I am all ears. I have had my Trawler to Bimini and was going to be on a longer trip, but unfortunately my son had an allergic reaction to something he ate, and had to cut the trip off a week into it (was supposed to be gone a month) It was a bad allergic reaction unfortunately, and we had to head back to the states for some time in the hospital.

This is our second chance at doing the trip.

If you would please let me know the best way to get there would be great, Bimini would be a great stop, then head south/east. If you all think a better route is due, then I would really appreciate the insight that this forum (and fellow trawler owners) would have to offer. I grew up doing the Virgin islands and the Grenadine's on a 65 foot sail boat, so the Bahamas is very new to me.

Thanks to anyone in advance for taking the time to educate me on this trip. I would owe you big time
Old 05-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Thats great news. Thanks for the information. I have never been to the Exumas, and was just thinking about hitting up Bimini then head to the Exumas, but if you guys think it is better to hit up a different route I am all ears. I have had my Trawler to Bimini and was going to be on a longer trip, but unfortunately my son had an allergic reaction to something he ate, and had to cut the trip off a week into it (was supposed to be gone a month) It was a bad allergic reaction unfortunately, and we had to head back to the states for some time in the hospital.

This is our second chance at doing the trip.

If you would please let me know the best way to get there would be great, Bimini would be a great stop, then head south/east. If you all think a better route is due, then I would really appreciate the insight that this forum (and fellow trawler owners) would have to offer. I grew up doing the Virgin islands and the Grenadine's on a 65 foot sail boat, so the Bahamas is very new to me.

Thanks to anyone in advance for taking the time to educate me on this trip. I would owe you big time
OK, let me straighten out my last post a bit.

The marina I was talking about not being officially open but that you could most likely get a slip at is Chub Cay.

As to routes to the Exumas, I'd consider going to Bimini to clear in on the first day. Then go to Chub or straight into Nassau the next day. Depending on your speed and/or how late into the day/night you are whiling to run.

Nassau is the spot for the cheapest fuel. So stopping on the way into or out of the Exumas might be something to consider.

Again depending on how long a days you want and your speed you could go straight from Chub to the upper Exumas in one day. Or stop in Nassau then go to the Exumas for a shorter run.

What is your cruising speed, range and how long of a day do you like to run?

You may want to consider a couple of long days to get there ASAP and of course to avoid weather if necessary.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #10

Thank you for taking your time to respond. That sounds like a plan for sure and appreciate the heads up to the marina. We prefer to anchor out but enjoy marinas too. We just play it by ear most the time. We are taking a month for the trip and are open to all suggestions from those who are most familiar with the locations and islands etc. "The Path" carries 800 gallons of fuel and averages 6gph @ 9knots (taking our time). 10gph @ 12knots. And 17gph @16knots. Has a water maker and carries 500gallons of fresh water We tend to stay at 9knots most the time with the engine sitting at 1240rpm. We don't mind pushing hard (very used to 12 hour days at the helm with the help of Auto pilot) and have no fear of night driving,as the boat has just been outfitted with HUGE (6) 60" dual row LED light bars for running at night (it's pretty incredible how much light these bar put out).
Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Guru

Well in that case you have all kinds of options.

If you are going to be out for a month or so and enjoy anchoring out I'd consider spending a week in the Berry islands before heading to the Exumas.

Or spending some time there on the way back.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #12

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate your help. I'll be drawing up the itinerary soon. Thanks again for taking yo time to advise us
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
Guru

Re the Berry Islands. We anchored over at Cabbage on the way down and Slaughter on the way back. You had better like your own company if you plan a week there!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Re the Berry Islands. We anchored over at Cabbage on the way down and Slaughter on the way back. You had better like your own company if you plan a week there!
That's the point.

But if you need company, just pull into Great Harbour for a night or two.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #15

We love anchoring all alone. We love getting away from it all. But also enjoy good company over choice beverages. Anchoring all alone is something of a gift from Mother Nature and we will take it when it is offered to us. Those islands will be in our list,,,,thank you for the information. We really appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate your help. I'll be drawing up the itinerary soon. Thanks again for taking yo time to advise us
Old 05-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
That's the point.

But if you need company, just pull into Great Harbour for a night or two.
Actually the cruise beaches are at Slaughter Harbour.

We anchored there on Sunday. We had to get the pooch to shore and we found a somewhat rocky beach, which did raise a question.

All beaches in the Bahamas are only private above the high water mark. If we had dinghy'd in with the dog on a leash and kept below the high water mark while all the cruisers were enjoying their "private island" could they have done anything about it?

I could picture the dog doing her business there in front of the Majesty Of The Seas crowd, then my wife burying it with the trowel we have for that reason!

Have they a special deal with the Bahamian government?