Transient Mooring Reservations Newport Harbor RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvalonGB

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46 Classic
We're hoping to reserve a transient mooring in Newport Harbor RI during early July for 4 or 5 nights. We've never had any luck locating a marine facility that takes reservations for moorings in Newport Harbor, all seem to operate on a first come first serve basis.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a business or private club / individual that accepts transient mooring reservations.

Thanks,
Tim

The half dozen times I've been there they all seemed to be filled, mostly all seasonal. I do know many people anchor up in there or another possibility if slips are out is Jamestown across the way has a few places with moorings.

Similar to our experiences. Unless we arrive very early and mid week moorings are full or only available for limited days. Hoping to find an alternative that accepts reservations. Maybe a rental agency of private moorings?

What if you do not reserve but pay in advance for a specified mooring ball. That is not a reservation but a paid for spot?? Just as if you left for an event, to go fishing and are coming "home"?

For that matter, rent it for the month, use it as long asyou wish then go for a refund.. Gotta be a way to skin that cat.

Last edited:
Paid In Advance

Yeah by reservation I mean a paid in advance reservation. Had not thought about longer timeframes, perhaps that's an option although might be a little pricey. We'll be looking into it.
Thanks

To go a step futher, pay for it with American Express and (knowing when you leave they will rent it out) if the balk on the refund, then dispute the charge. Seems to me if you rent the ball for a month, give it back after a week and they refuse the refund they should not have the right to double up, so if they do not play fair why should you?

The Newport attitude is pay to stay, then pay to enjoy, then pay again. It is expensive, and to my thinking very commercial and overrated. In the past we have taken our boat to Newport and have been disappointed with much that it offers. The last time we were there, we took a bag of trash to dispose of and were told there is a $5 charge for that. Now, if we wish to go to Newport (to the boat show for example) we drive. BTW, you can have a slip at $6.50 to $7.00/ft plus electric at about $50/day!

OK, rant over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom