TF Southeast Florida Gathering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The worst of the tide is coming into the marina and into the man made islands in my opinion. With an outgoing...if you are single screw...best to have your ground tackle at the ready.

Once in, the inner harbor has no current and the floating docks are mostly parralel to what I would call medium at their worst...maybe 2 knots is the strongest I have seen, but might be more under certain conditions.

If you do have an east/west slip on the floaters....twins or a thruster would be handy.

The worst of the tide is coming into the marina and into the man made islands in my opinion. With an outgoing...if you are single screw...best to have your ground tackle at the ready.

Once in, the inner harbor has no current and the floating docks are mostly parralel to what I would call medium at their worst...maybe 2 knots is the strongest I have seen, but might be more under certain conditions.

If you do have an east/west slip on the floaters....twins or a thruster would be handy.

Better still, Scott. Try to time arrivals at slack tide. A little power and rudder is usually enough to counter act the current.
If not sure of your boat handling, ask the dockmaster to let you tie up until slack tide.

Well at least one boat won't have to worry about the current...a catamaran just left saying they were being bumped for a trawler due in today on the t head of I - dock

T - head, no current, little wind... with dock line handlers there piece of cake...

For those of you tying up at City Marina be aware of vicious, and I mean vicious currents at high flow and ebb. There have been a goodly number of accidents caused by misjudgment of the currents. I have never taken my trawler over there but have the Whaler and seen the vicious ripping tides. I saw a bowsprit spear a trawler window. Beware.
I felt this deserved mentioning, the dock master will give the guidance, be sure and get that local knowledge.

Wifey B: Vicious? :eek: Man Eating? Slashing like Jack the Ripper? Ok, I get it you use vicious to get everyone's attention so they'll be aware that there might be currents. No Lochness monster jumping up and snatching us though. Guess I've been lucky that I've been there many times and never thought of the currents as vicious. One of our favorite stops on the way north or south as easy in and out. Often stop for fuel. :)

:thumb: different generation...or two....:rofl:

Wifey B: Omg, hadn't thought of that. Realized some old enough to be my father, but grandfather. :eek: Guess it's true though. Beer consumption in younger groups is down some, but craft beers are offsetting that some the past year or two. We don't drink beer and actually never even have had any on our boat. :hide:

Well guys, I know of 2 instances. I am just encouraging you to listen to the Dock master. I did not look at my Garmin on the Whaler the day it was ripping but I was going lots faster than 2 Knots at the east end of the new piers, engine in neutral. One guy did not listen, got underway, cut a corner and the current crashed him into a concrete piling and my buddy's davits. The Dock master ask him to wait.

Wifey B: Vicious? :eek: Man Eating? Slashing like Jack the Ripper? Ok, I get it you use vicious to get everyone's attention so they'll be aware that there might be currents. No Lochness monster jumping up and snatching us though. Guess I've been lucky that I've been there many times and never thought of the currents as vicious. One of our favorite stops on the way north or south as easy in and out. Often stop for fuel. :)

It can be according to what you are use to. Being a SC home ported boat that does much boating in GA we are use to dealing with the fast currents of the 8' tides. If one is not use to handling a boat in a cross current, just ask the dock master to let you hold at the fuel dock or other T head until slack tide. The current is worse the farther you get to the outer ends of the floating docks. The main problem the currents cause me is the boat bottom picks up everything that grows in the Indian River Lagoon.

Wifey B: Good warning by Cardude. I was just making fun of the use of the word vicious twice. :)

Thanks for the advise, too late. Gotcha is in L dock 243. Almost to the end so I an be thankful I'm a few slips down from the end. And the current was fastest when arrived, should have has an inside slip.

Now we are here are we getting together for fun, games and eats tonight?

I am just suggesting that the marina is no worse than others one might encounter when travelling the ICW..it is certainly no horror show. It is such a great area, it would be a shame to pass it by worrying about the current.

Prudence is a good idea if not used to currents. Much of the advice given is a good idea if anxious about any arrival or departure.

Scott. I agree. It could be worse, I was in a marine near Jacksonville (Fernandia beach I think) and the current had to be 5/6 knots at the midpoint. That was a bad.

I hope you guys get some fridge pics for those of us unable to attend this gala. I look forward to the tales, the lies and photoshopped pics to back them up.

Cheers from the Left Coast!

I hope you guys get some fridge pics for those of us unable to attend this gala. I look forward to the tales, the lies and photoshopped pics to back them up.

Cheers from the Left Coast!

Healhustler will not be attending....so I do not know who the designated photoshopper will be???

IMG_2019.JPG

Surely no self respecting TF member would be caught with a fridge in as Sad a shape as this.!.!

Maria and I should pull in after lunch tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Cheers.

David & Maria
AT-34 "Jenna Star"

Well the first night is history. Happy hour on Moonstruck followed by dinner at Tilghman's barbecue. Needless to say, a good time was had by all. I'd post some pics, but they haven't been photoshopped yet. So far, no ambulances or police reports. We're off to a great start!

Ted

Ted

The night is still early, a thing can happen.

ATTENTION: The TF SE Florida Gathering is underway

First news flash:

CENSORED!

It seems what happens in Fort Pierce stays in Fort Pierce.

Stay tuned for furthur reports of the action.

Now I know who the instigator of the group is. ��

It can be according to what you are use to. Being a SC home ported boat that does much boating in GA we are use to dealing with the fast currents of the 8' tides. If one is not use to handling a boat in a cross current, just ask the dock master to let you hold at the fuel dock or other T head until slack tide. The current is worse the farther you get to the outer ends of the floating docks. The main problem the currents cause me is the boat bottom picks up everything that grows in the Indian River Lagoon.

What he said.

This photo snuck out on Wiki-leaks....looks like Don's boat taking an early delivery yesterday.

Attachments

• moonstruck beer delivery.jpg
    moonstruck beer delivery.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 53
That was supposed to be a secret delivery for Baker. :nonono:

Ted

Rumor has it this Baker guy is going to show up to whip you guys in line but after looking at his secret stash that showed up he will be in no condition to do anything. It's good to be drunk and happy!

OK, the first spy photos are in. As soon as processed (probably this evening) they will be posted.

PS: So far no one has crashed their boat. We are waiting for Howard to do our seminar on the proper use of marine TP.

Hi Folks - we are here now at the end of Dock E - is anything happening tonight?

David and Maria

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom