TF Gathering in SE Florida 2020...2/20-2/23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't heard of a "Captain and the cabin boy" drama played out in quite awhile.... :eek:

I’m just reading this thread for the first time and can’t shuffle through 25 pages.... when and where is the event?

Greetings,
Mr. ps. Re: post #241. "Captain/cabin" boy is so last century. These days it's a...

200.webp

I’m just reading this thread for the first time and can’t shuffle through 25 pages.... when and where is the event?
The municipal marina, Fort Pierce, FL February 20th through the 22nd.

Ted

Al share you? After Steve and Jack finish with you you will be unwanted goods. :)

Some of you guys know how to drive a decent conversation into the gutter!

Hey yall! Get out of the gutter, you're blocking my periscope!
As for the Flor de Cana, the first couple of drinks taste great, as it mixes well with fruit flavors, but after that, things just get uncertain

If anyone's in doubt about what to bring, might I suggest a quality IPA for the Fridge Inspectors (FI). Properly chilled, of course.

(FI Applications still being accepted. "Campaign contributions" willingly accepted.)

Haven't heard of a "Captain and the cabin boy" drama played out in quite awhile.... :eek:
When I was in the Navy we used to sing this song about a cabin boy:

"The cabin boy the cabin boy, the nasty little kipper,
He rubbed his ass with broken glass & circumcised the skipper."

Followed by

"Away, away with the fife & drum, here we come full of rum,
We're looking for women who peddle their bum to the North Atlantic Squadron." :oldman:

Can't think of anyone who enjoys boating more than Al FlyWright.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
If anyone's in doubt about what to bring, might I suggest a quality IPA for the Fridge Inspectors (FI). Properly chilled, of course.

(FI Applications still being accepted. "Campaign contributions" willingly accepted.)
:ermm: Hmmm. Guess I didn't pass the IPA test.

Ted

Ted, here's the grading scale for 'properly chilled". I have confidence in your fridge and ice skills.

PUBLIC NOTICE - FORT PIERCE REFRIGERATOR INSPECTIONS

When you arrive, please ensure your refrigerators are properly stocked and at prime operating temperature. There will be impromptu fridge inspections throughout the weekend. Photos of exemplary examples may be published with owner consent. Photos of empty fridges will be published without consent or exception!

Please note that fridge inspector(s) will have calibrated temp sensors. Demerits may be assigned and public shaming may occur for substandard temperature beverages. Below is the TF Fridge grading scale:

20F-31F - Too cold to hold but passing with an A+ if not frozen. Frozen beverages are cause for remedial training and retesting.

32F-39F - A Well done!! You should be proud of your attention to detail!

40F-44F - B Not bad for Kool Aid or a Coke...not so great for an IPA.

45F-49F - C Acceptable for morning juice and girly drinks only. Best if served with a paper umbrella.

50F or above - Fail! Next time, please plug your fridge into power before testing or buy more ice.

Notice to all participants: While graft and corruption are strictly forbidden, the sharing of quality adult beverages with Refrigerator Inspectors is highly encouraged, much appreciated and may have a slight effect on grading.

Applications are being accepted for the position of TF Refrigerator Inspector (RI).

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=820006&postcount=152

I don't have a current copy but I am sure the other ABYC experts will be able to confirm these ABYC guidelines from the refrigeration section....

Here are some general guidelines:

1. 35–40°F (2–4°C): Mass market light lagers.
  2. 40–45°F (4–7°C): Czech and German Pilsners, Munich Helles, wheat beers, and Kölsch.
  3. 45–50°F (7–10°C): IPAs, American pale ales, porters, and most stouts.
  4. 50–55°F (10–13°C): Belgian ales, sour ales, Bocks, English bitters and milds, Scottish ales.

:D

I don't have a current copy but I am sure the other ABYC experts will be able to confirm these ABYC guidelines from the refrigeration section....

2. 40–45°F (4–7°C): Czech and German Pilsners, Munich Helles, wheat beers, and Kölsch.
  4. 50–55°F (10–13°C): Belgian ales, sour ales, Bocks, English bitters and milds, Scottish ales.

You're obviously using the more lax international scale of beer temperature. Heck, they're so complacent that they don't even need refrigerators for their beer. That's just WRONG!!

Life's too short to drink warm beer.

I don't care about beer...it foams up to much when I take my new dingy out for a ride.

Had to put it in the slip next to me while I install new davits....

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 23
Nice, but I bet it’s a nightmare to row when those three outboards crap out.

Much more user friendly here..no refrigeration? No problem....:rofl:

Here's a video of what it's like in Ft. Pierce when the TFers arrive. (excuse the sailboats)

Here's a video of what it's like in Ft. Pierce when the TFers arrive. (excuse the sailboats)

loved it until they mentioned sanding...Sure I'll have another cold one... Ted sands I'm sure. His boat looks like somebody sands..and gelcoats. sure I'll have another cold one. We don't have to raise sails and pull strings, right Al?

I think I’ve been sanding a window. [emoji30]

That video is hilarious true and obviously written by an experienced sailor.

Attachments

• Mr Hendrix Are You Experienced.jpg
    Mr Hendrix Are You Experienced.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 235
There is something to say for wine. Red wine doesn't usually need chilling.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 37
Question:

For those of us that are not able to boat in, is there a favorite hotel, B&B or place that folks are staying at?

I'm 50/50 as I have a tight schedule then, but would love to get there!

Greetings,
Mr. S. The scuttlebutt from past years is that several members have been guests at THIS establishment:

82177813_10156376056896266_5684801421447266304_o.jpg

Always a vacancy. Three daily meals included and VERY attentive staff.

Whaaaaaale... I have a spot reserved for the event, but the dates for my winter meeting were just announced, and of course the only two things I have scheduled for the next three months are on the exact same dates. Of course they are.

Looks like I’ll be making room for someone else.

Anyway I got such a late start heading south, I’ll probably start passing some north bound snowbird traffic before I get to the Florida border anyway.

I guess I’ll have to cross wakes with some of y’all out on the old splashy trail. Maybe next year.

TF Gathering in SE Florida 2020

Jewel and I are still planning on bringing the boat to the gathering this year. I made reservations at the marina, but still wondering if the new mast will be installed in time. Fingers crossed.

Jewel asked me yesterday, why don’t we cruise somewhere after Ft Pierce since we don’t have a home base slip. I said Ok, but then remembered that I’ve never been north of Ft Pierce so don’t know where to go. Our plan is to cruise up the east coast this year, but I think it’s a little too early to start that trip isn’t it? We don’t like cold weather.

I saw this article recently about a cruise on the St Johns River. My mast is 40’ so I guess we could manage this.
https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/a-cruise-up-floridas-st-johns-river

Is the St Johns River an interesting cruise? Any recommended marinas to leave the boat there for a month or so until the weather warms up a bit?

Irv, just want to give you a heads up that I am planning to attend with two guests arriving wednesday and leaving Sunday. Anything I can do to help? Ted Green is the person responsible for my being there!

Welcome aboard, courage121. Is that you plus 2 (3 total) or 2 including yourself?

2nd post...tell us a little about yourself.

Welcome aboard, courage121. Is that you plus 2 (3 total) or 2 including yourself?

2nd post...tell us a little about yourself.
Al, Courage is more of a reader than a poster. He came to the gathering in 2018 with his partner and his very nice 42 Krogen (Courage).

He is coming with another couple, so total 3 people.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom