TF Gathering in SE Florida 2020...2/20-2/23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Senor RT. Agreed, aspirin won’t be needed if you fall into a drunken stupor and more “tail of the dog” can be administered in the morning. A great time will be had by all.

Menzies said "Finally, as I posted in another thread, Fernandina City Marina is now back open. That gets you further north for your jump northwards. I have not been there since the rebuild so cannot give any details on where they are at right now."

Just spent the night at the Fernandina City Marina, which had apparently only opened two or three nights earlier. Once you get into the marina you are in great shape. Getting in can be a bit tricky unless you have local knowledge, which I didn't have. I had been told by the Dockmaster that it was important to stay in the ICW channel until I was parallel with the entrance, then to come straight in, a distance of perhaps 75-100 yards. Approaching the entrance the very heavy silting to starboard was obvious, but the current was also from the starboard side and pushing very strongly to port, trying its hardest to push us into the end of the very substantial dock. So, we circled the first time and quickly wondered why we had been advised to stay in the narrow approach. We skirted the silted area to starboard then turned hard and used our thrusters to miss the dock. We missed it by maybe 5-7 feet and were inside. Things calmed down right away. We proceeded down between the two docks, spun around, and tied up. In talking to the Dockmaster later he told us how they would fill up all the space along that first inside dock, including the last space, which would be the one right alongside the end that almost got us. We told him that we didn't think we could have made that and would have hit any boat tied up there. He said the time would come when the silting would be taken care of, opening the approach significantly. We strongly suggested that until that time no boat be tied up on that end. And now, knowing that there is indeed depth "outside" the suggested approach, I would set up against the current, get past the end of the dock, and turn to port, still against the current and be ready to thrust away from the dock if necessary. Piece of cake.

Otherwise, and once inside, a really nice place. And PHENOMENAL access to the historic district, walking! Great town. And the locals claim that Fernandina, not
St. Augustine, is the oldest settlement in America. I haven't researched that yet, but will DEFINITELY be returning to Fernandina.

One of these years we hope to make it - seems a recurring theme - dates for Spring gathering are announced, and yep it's the same week as our spring ski trip to CO, which involves many people any and lots of moving parts. But one of these days we will make it. Have one for me Al, or several in fact :thumb:

FC. what’s more important, drinking with friends and attending Don’s awesome seminars (somewhat boat related) or being with family. :)

Lena and I are looking forward to the annual Fort Pierce Trawler Forum get together. This year there will a slight change of plans for Hobo though. She'll be staying in Jacksonville but Lena and I will be there for Friday night and Saturday/Saturday night festivities via land transportation.

Lena and I have always done an informal “meet and greet”/happy hour on Hobo Thursday night, followed by going out to dinner. A large group usually goes to Tillman's Barbecue which is walking distance from the marina. Since we're not going to be there Thursday night, nothing is currently planned. Any volunteers?

The rest of the weekend schedule includes pizza on Moonstruck Friday night hosted by Don and Lou and, of course Irv and Watfa will be doing the Saturday feast on Gotcha (don't forget to RSVP).

Daytime activities (other then visiting and getting to know other members) include the Fort Pierce City Farmers Market held 8-12 on Saturday morning at the Marina. The Navy Seal Museum and Marine Connection Liquidators are both a 10 minute drive from the marina. If you want a day trip, the Kennedy Space Center is 1.5 hours north is well worth the trip if you haven't been. Last year jet skies were available for rent in the Marina.

Looking forward to see everyone there.

https://fortpiercefarmersmarket.com/

https://www.navysealmuseum.org/

Marine Connection Liquidators

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

https://www.tillmansfamousbarbq.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry it won’t be the same without you but I’m sure someone will step up. I usually go to Tillman’s Wednesday evening and host those who want good Ft Pierce barbecue.

See you there, should we provide you with a wheelchair?

...See you there, should we provide you with a wheelchair?

Wheelchair no but how about a go-cart? :D The Dr yesterday said the new knee’s doing great. I think he’s only saying that so he can get the last hip. He needs all four replacements to pay for his new Tesla. :lol:

Can’t help with a go cart (marina frowns on them) but I’m having a four wheel medical scooter delivered for my use. I can share or get you one of your own, we could set up a drag strip and race on the dock. :)

Baker your exactly correct, my qualifier was Ft Pierce barbecue we all know the best barbecue is from ...... This could start a war like “the best anchor”.

What do people think if we just use the Captains Lounge in the marina office building for happy hour and then walk to BBQ for those who want to?

If it sounds like a good meeting place (if anyone can get Ted's cooler up the steps) if no boats get volunteered. No pressure on anyone as we all realize many boats aren't compatible with even small crowds.

I will check with the marina.

Reserved if no other platform is available.

We always do a docktail on the first night - just use the widest part of the dock itself nearest to one of the boats.

Greetings,
Mr. m. I expect even the widest part of the dock is not sufficient for some...

giphy.webp

Tradition in Fort Pierce is cocktails each night....if so inclined.

So far the quality of cruisers has not required a "wide dock".

Tradition in Fort Pierce is cocktails each night....if so inclined.

So far the quality of cruisers has not required a "wide dock".

Of course but Docktails are different from cocktails!

Sorry, docktails..... I forget the audience and the necessity for proper maritime lingo.

Sounds like a great idea, Scott. I suggest a dockside gathering next to Ted's cooler before the Capt's Lounge to plan our attack and monitor the boat lines.

Late comers and lightweights can always meet us at the lounge. :hide:

Not trying to move things away from the docks....just wanted a safe plan B....please any and all ideas welcome.

We're going to BBQ anyway. The Lounge is on the way...

My dinghy engine hoist was damaged in the storm, and instead of going back with the same engine hoist and PITA “dinghy on the roof deployed and hauled up by the boom” system, I’m thinking about a stern mounted davit system like regular people have, where the engine remains mounted on the dinghy. I always hesitated to do a stern davit setup because I thought it would block my aft view too bad, but I’m considering it again.

Anyway, the reason for bringing this up on this TF party thread is, I am hoping I can get some of the great minds at the gathering to give me some input. Maybe it’s not worth the extra expense and I will just replace my engine hoist and continue scrambling around (and usually almost falling off) the pilothouse like I’ve been doing? I sometimes do strange things and need people to look at me and say, no, Bill, that’s stupid.

Last edited:
Great idea, Bill! Lots of knowledgeable and experienced folks will be there to help you work it out. If you're looking for GOOD advice, I'd suggest you schedule your free advice session before Happy Hour so the advice you get is genuine and legit.

We cannot be held responsible for bad advice profered after 1700 hrs.

Will you have dink and motor present? If so, you might be able to purchase a solution after a trip to the local boat parts mecca, The Marine Connection.

https://www.themarineconnection.net/

I look forward to meeting you on the dock!

My dinghy engine hoist was damaged in the storm, and instead of going back with the same engine hoist and PITA “dinghy on the roof deployed and hauled up by the boom” system, I’m thinking about a stern mounted davit system like regular people have, where the engine remains mounted on the dinghy. I always hesitated to do a stern davit setup because I thought it would block my aft view too bad, but I’m considering it again.

Anyway, the reason for bringing this up on this TF party thread is, I am hoping I can get some of the great minds at the gathering to give me some input. Maybe it’s not worth the extra expense and I will just replace my engine hoist and continue scrambling around (and usually almost falling off) the pilothouse like I’ve been doing? I sometimes do strange things and need people to look at me and say, no, Bill, that’s stupid.

Bill, I’m going through the same process. I’ve taken measurements (three times), checked with other DF44 owners and consulted a naval architect (Tad Roberts) and I’m getting close to pulling the trigger. Maybe we can compare notes in Ft. Pierce.

Great idea, Bill! Lots of knowledgeable and experienced folks will be there to help you work it out. If you're looking for GOOD advice, I'd suggest you schedule your free advice session before Happy Hour so the advice you get is genuine and legit.

We cannot be held responsible for bad advice profered after 1700 hrs.

Will you have dink and motor present? If so, you might be able to purchase a solution after a trip to the local boat parts mecca, The Marine Connection.

https://www.themarineconnection.net/

I look forward to meeting you on the dock!

Yes definitely pre happy hour! [emoji23]

Dink and engine will be on the boat. I’ve been through the parts mecca with Healhustler before and agree that a solution might be there.

Also look forward to meeting everyone in person!

Greetings,
Mr. 01. "Also look forward to meeting everyone in person!" "...no, Bill, that’s stupid."

200.webp

Dinghy davit on transom

Good advice as always, from the forum.
I am in the process of getting a stern davit working, and the advice to check with a naval architect and others who know your model of boat seems good.
I did not, and after the davit was made to my specs, on a good design from the welder, I found that my transom was much thinner than my hull sides, and would flex under the weight of the (heavy) dinghy.
I am now having the transom reinforced with much extra fiberglass and ?PVC? sheet, glassed in place with supporting knees to the deck.
All is in the lazarette, so I am not losing living space.
The frustration and extra expense may drive me to drink, but hey, it's a short ride.

I’m thinking about a stern mounted davit system like regular people have, where the engine remains mounted on the dinghy. I always hesitated to do a stern davit setup because I thought it would block my aft view too bad, but I’m considering it again.
I've spent a career agonizing over what kind of davit to put on my boat. Everything from a Freedom to a simple pipe davit. To boil it all down as far as advice is concerned, I suggest you Google these guys and others as well. (Dockwise, St. Croix, etc.)

Builders of Boat Davits - Pioneers of Transom Davit Technology

Nick Jackson CO Davits

Back
Top Bottom