Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
St Johns River Cruise

The trip is on - Charleston, SC down the ICW to the St Johns River and up the river as far as Lake Monroe and Sanford.

Day seven and we're at the Marina at Ortega Landing. Great place for provisioning and they have a deal where you pay for three nights and get seven that can be split up so you stay a few days, cruise the river, then stay a few days on your way back.

So far, we've had a manatee follow us in our dinghy. My wife really liked that.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome to Florida! Be sure to plan a stop at Blue Springs State Park. You won't see many manatees this time of year, but you will be able to swim and snorkle the spring run. Silver Glen Springs just west of Lake George is well worth the short dinghy ride up the spring run.

HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome to Florida! Be sure to plan a stop at Blue Springs State Park. You won't see many manatees this time of year, but you will be able to swim and snorkle the spring run. Silver Glen Springs just west of Lake George is well worth the short dinghy ride up the spring run.
Thanks for the welcome and the tips. The manatee we did see was in GA behind Cumberland Island National Seashore.

I have Black Creek, Murphy Creek, and River Forest Loop on my list. I have plenty of time so I'll check out Silver Glen Springs and any other suggestions.

As for manatees, what are your suggestions for the best chance of seeing them?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Last February at the boat show in Miami we took a dinghy ride up the Miami River. We were fortunate enough to get a look at some of rare Land Manatees.
Attached Images

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Guru

rwidman, You'll probably see single manatees or mama / baby pairs as you cruise the river this time of year. In winter, when the river gets cold, they congregate in the spring runs where the water stays 72F year round. I've seen over a hundred in the Blue Springs run in February. You probably won't be able to get there but the Jolly Gator Fish Camp south of Lake Harney serves wonderful swamp cabbage cooked with bacon. Use your dinghy to explore off the main channel it is really wild up there with lots of protected areas.

Anode, you came up the Miami River and didn't visit me? I'm hurt.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Anode, you came up the Miami River and didn't visit me? I'm hurt.
Do you serve Cuban food? We were hungry....
I believe I've been to your place. Next time I'll look you up. Promise.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Guru

We serve Cuban coffee any time and have pastalittos (spelling?) every morning. There is a dock in back of the store that you can tie your dinghy to.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
We serve Cuban coffee any time and have pastalittos (spelling?) every morning. There is a dock in back of the store that you can tie your dinghy to.
How can you sell it if you can't spell it?

"pastelitos"

Quote:
Cuban pastries (known in Spanish as pasteles or pastelitos) are baked puff pastry-type pastries filled with sweet or savory fillings.
Traditional fillings include cream cheese, guava (pastelito de guayaba) and cheese, pineapple, and coconut. The sweet fillings are made with sweetened fruit pulps. The cream cheese filling is also a slightly sweetened version of cream cheese, typically made to resemble the flavor and texture of a cheesecake. The savory fillings are usually beef, but sometimes chicken or ham and cheese are used. The beef fillings consist of a seasoned but not spicy meat, made in a tomato-based sauce. It is typical to include raisins and green olives as part of the meat filling. It is typical for a sweet glaze to be applied to the top of even savory fillings.
The pastries are typically consumed at any time as a snack or even as a meal. In Miami, one can find many "window cafeterias" with customers having a pastelito with coffee throughout the day.
The pastries can be found at many Hispanic cafeterias and have also been introduced into the national retail market by Goya Foods. The pastries are also available in wholesale for the foodservice industry by several companies including Hispanic wholesale frozen bakery manufacturer Latin Flavors.
Cuban pastry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds delicious.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Guru

They are very good. Thanks for the spelling lesson. We don't sell them, it's just a little thank you for our customers. They're usually gone by the time I get my lazy butt to work.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hmmm. HopCar, you never told me about the coffee and pastries. Now I know to get there early.

rwidman: If ya can, stop by Green Cove springs and take a tour of one of those Great Harbour N-37 or N-47 trawlers. Most unbelievable engine room I've ever seen. Call Eric Kraft at Mirage...he knows everything about them, and there's usually an N-37 on hand, and GH-37's at the dock for sale. They might be a bit flat bottomed, but are the only under 40 boat I've seen with more space than my own bloated Manatee. Heck, when I climbed down into that 16 X 6 bosons locker, I couldn't even figure out where I was in the boat.

Anode: If you get by Miami, remember you've got dock space here in Key Biscayne. No land Manatees here, but lots of the other kind.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
They are very good. Thanks for the spelling lesson. We don't sell them, it's just a little thank you for our customers. They're usually gone by the time I get my lazy butt to work.
I didn't know how to spell it either, or what they were but Google corrected me.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
rwidman: If ya can, stop by Green Cove springs and take a tour of one of those Great Harbour N-37 or N-47 trawlers. Most unbelievable engine room I've ever seen. Call Eric Kraft at Mirage...he knows everything about them, and there's usually an N-37 on hand, and GH-37's at the dock for sale. They might be a bit flat bottomed, but are the only under 40 boat I've seen with more space than my own bloated Manatee. Heck, when I climbed down into that 16 X 6 bosons locker, I couldn't even figure out where I was in the boat. .
Former neighbors and friends from Charleston live on the other side of the river from Green Cove Springs. We may or may not call them and they may or may not want to see us but I think we'll stop there on the way back down the river.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Guru

Mmmmm coupla guava and cheese pastelitos and a coupla empanadas a coffee americano and a Cuban coffee shooter to polish it off. I do miss living in Miami for that reason only.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Guru

Home again. Details here:

http://rwidman.blog.com/2012/06/04/t...f-high-cotton/
Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Good read. Wish I could keep a log like that.
No pics?

SD
Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
Good read. Wish I could keep a log like that.
No pics?

SD
I have lots of pictures, I just haven't selected the best or put them into a document or blog.

I kept the log in MS Word and just copied it onto a blog site chosen at random. More polished ifo will come later.

I didn't really plan on a log, but I have my new laptop and my new wireless access point so I was putting each day on facebook for my marina friends and it just came about.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Cool , can't wait to see'um.
SD
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
Guru

Very Nice! I'm glad you got to see Manatees. Next time you see them in a salt water marina, try giving them fresh water from a hose. I've watched them drink from a hose for half an hour or more.
Thanks for the tip on the German restaurant in Sanford.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Guru

Here it is with photos:
http://www.widman.biz/indigo/Adventu...IGH_COTTON.pdf
Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Can't wait to see it Ron. We are on a slow internet connection, so will have to wait a week or so. The log sounded great. Now, we will get to see it.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote