Old 03-28-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Newport RI in May, Volvo Ocean Race Restart

We're going to be in Newport for the weekend of May 16-18 to pick up our new boat. The Volvo Ocean Race is doing the re-start from Newport to Lisbon that weekend, so we know Newport will be insane. We take delivery on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning at the marina in Bristol, then we'd like to motor down to Newport and get a slip somewhere at least fairly close, until leaving for the voyage westward sometime on Monday the 18th. We've been to Newport a number of times in the past, but never on our own boat. Transient slips at the big, high-end marinas are all booked of course, and although we're prepared for an expensive weekend, it would be nice to find a slip (or mooring if we have to) at least a little less than a million dollars a foot. Jamestown would be okay if we had to, but everything I've seen on ActiveCaptain and others talks about how exposed and roll-y it can be on the Jamestown side. On the other hand, the Jamestown side might be a spectacular place to watch the ocean racers sail out.

For anybody who knows that area well, any tips or recommendations for a slip somewhere close or in Newport that weekend? We will have a dingy, but I imagine the water traffic that weekend is going to be like rush hour on the Cross Bronx Expressway so a slip somewhere on the Newport/Aquidneck side would be nice, if that's at all possible. We'll be in a Mainship 37 Motor Yacht (aft cabin), 40' overall.

Thanks.

Karl
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #2

City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
You can anchor in Newport harbor, just south and west of Ida Lewis yacht club. It's a small area but centrally located. Also, just west of goat island or between goat island and the eastern end of the pell bridge. There's also potter come on the north west end of the pell bridge. The last three spots are exposed, however, to wakes and wind waves.
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You might want to try Wickford harbor 30 to 45 min up the west passage super protected, nice little village. There should be slips this early in the season. There is a Brewers yacht yard and several other mariners plus a town dock and moorings. It would be my pick to lay over and stage for an early and fair tide west bound departure if I didn't have a good forecast for Jamestown.
boatdriver47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate your taking the time. To my great surprise I got an email from West Wind Marina this morning that they have a slip available after all. I read a lot of the reviews on ActiveCaptain and others - sounds like it can be noisy with the bar close by, and some reviewers say maneuvering is very tight ("packed in like sardines") but that still seems easier than the Jamestown side or further away. I was surfing on the Ocean Race's Newport site, yikes, $500 for VIP tickets to the observation area. Even a slip at Bannisters would be cheaper than that - well, for a 40-footer. Should be great fun though, and spectacular to see that restart, can't wait.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #5

City: Edgewood, RI
Vessel Name: Gypsea
Vessel Model: Halvorsen 51 Pilot House
Another option is picking up a mooring in Dutch Harbor across Conanicut Island from Jamestown. A 15 minute walk across the island will get you to the Jamestown Ferry to Newport for the festivities. Hope to see you there.
dbbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: First Light
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Mackerel Cove on the East side of Jamestown is another anchoring option. Navy Base Marina is a cheaper option for retired military. P.M. me if you need any transport, etc., We're in Middletown.
Matt
mattinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
.... Jamestown would be okay if we had to, but everything I've seen on ActiveCaptain and others talks about how exposed and roll-y it can be on the Jamestown side. On the other hand, the Jamestown side might be a spectacular place to watch the ocean racers sail out....
Karl,

As you can see from the charts, Jamestown could be an excellent spot during SW winds. I've stayed in the newport harbor (both anchorage and mooring) during SW blow, and it was bumpy. As soon as we moved to Jamesport, it was way much better.

So, if the transient slip doesn't work out, keep on eye on the forecast and make the choice based on that. BTW, when anchoring in Newport, make sure you have good ground tackle and keep an eye on the wind swing. The bottom there is less than forgiving. Anchorage is limited, there's very good chance that it'll be packed during the event. With 17-20' of water, there isn't much room for good scope. If you end up anchoring there, I suggest to be on board during 180* wind swings.

Good luck and have fun.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote