Sandy Damage Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Just received the November Boat US newsletter, and this is an excerpt.

The BoatUS Catastrophe (CAT) Team, the largest one ever employed, immediately sprung into action, and is currently onsite assessing claims in multiple locations including New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts. The number of claims from this single storm is unprecedented. Sadly, we anticipate this number will increase as boat owners gain access to the hardest hit and remote areas. Click here to view a few remarkable photos from the field.

In terms of overall recreational boat losses, we've initially estimated over 32,000 boats were damaged in New York, followed by New Jersey's 25,000, Connecticut's 2,500 and 6,000 remaining in various states. Dollar damage to recreational boats (only) in New York is estimated at $324 million, followed by $242 million in New Jersey and $23 million in Connecticut. Previously, the single largest storm damage event affecting recreational boats was 2011's Hurricane Irene (approximately $500 million in damage to boats). In the 2005 storm season, Hurricane Wilma and Katrina damage was estimated at over $700 million combined. Click here to read the BoatUS CAT Team's report from on the ground in New York and New Jersey.

Attachments

• BL_CaptMercuryMarinaNY_IMG_0368.jpg
    BL_CaptMercuryMarinaNY_IMG_0368.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 175
  • BL_GoodLuckPointMarina_IMG_0568.jpg
    BL_GoodLuckPointMarina_IMG_0568.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 145
  • BL_GoodLuckPointMarina_IMG_0570.jpg
    BL_GoodLuckPointMarina_IMG_0570.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 147
  • BL_NicholsMarinaSINY_IMG_0391.jpg
    BL_NicholsMarinaSINY_IMG_0391.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 156
  • BL_NicholsMarinaSINY_IMG_0408.jpg
    BL_NicholsMarinaSINY_IMG_0408.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 154
  • HudsonRiver_NewburghYC1.jpg
    HudsonRiver_NewburghYC1.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 149
  • HudsonRiver_PatsysBay2.jpg
    HudsonRiver_PatsysBay2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 142
and we wonder why our insurance rates seem high.....

I can see why insurers are forcing boats/marinas to have storm evac plans.

Except that many did evacuate to dry land according to plan-for all the good that did. I wonder how policies that split the cost of hauling before a hurricane will deal with that reimbursement since the boats must go back in within a certain time period and many will not.

Dave

Except that many did evacuate to dry land according to plan-for all the good that did. I wonder how policies that split the cost of hauling before a hurricane will deal with that reimbursement since the boats must go back in within a certain time period and many will not.

Dave

Thinking that marinas that normally flood even during minor northeasters is a safe bet during a direct hit from a Cat 1 hurricane needs a tad more experience in the world of boating. The marinas were negligent in my eyes for even recommending hauling there. Bad plan......

That's why I beat feet to 15 miles upriver where winds, flooding and storm surge were minimized.

I agree the marinas should have expected more. We hauled and were 3 feet from floating. Our marina blocked all the little guys higher with no floaters.

Dave

Not lookin' forward to my next insurance bill even though I am 3,000 miles from the east coast.

Wonder if any salvage outfits will go after the parts from these boats ? Perkins Diesels aren't getting any younger.

Blue Heron...you mean marine salvage yards that sell used boat parts? Or the salvage boats companies like Sea Tow/Boat US? The boat guys really can't unless they file a claim for the boat...it's still the owners or insurance companies till abandoned which a maritime court wouldn't even entertain until next year sometime (unless the owner declares it abandoned).

Boats floated off way down here in the Avalon area so marinas to the north of the eye that had storage areas let's say 3-5 feet above normal Nor'easter floods wer taking a huge chance. We had boats go down because gravel got washed away from under the supports even the boats did not actually float.

I mean the salvage yards. Good point on the gravel. My boat was hauled for Isaac and the yard had gravel

We were just north of the eye and got pretty much the worst - in fact we're still waiting for natural gas for heat. Many boats just picked up and blew across the bay to the marshes on the mainland. I'm not sure how they will ever be recovered even though many are probably undamaged.

Dave

We were just north of the eye and got pretty much the worst - in fact we're still waiting for natural gas for heat. Many boats just picked up and blew across the bay to the marshes on the mainland. I'm not sure how they will ever be recovered even though many are probably undamaged.

Dave
You would be amazed...one of my first salvagesnwhen I got back from the storm was 2 jet skis, 3 jet ski docks and the 50 foot section of floating dock that they were all tied to.

Had to tie together my 2 tow lines, anchor line, all my dock lines and a few dock lines that i found in the still attached dock box. Over 700 feet of towline out.

They were at the treeline in the last photo.

Attachments

• Photo666.jpg
    Photo666.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Photo660.jpg
    Photo660.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Photo662.jpg
    Photo662.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Photo663.jpg
    Photo663.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 144
I have had several requests for the Internet URL for the Sandy damage photo's. If you are interested in seeing the complete Boat US photo album go to this site:

BoatUS: Hurricane Resource Center

Larry B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom