A ride from FL to the Bahamas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel Karl

Hey guys,

I am essentially a sailboat guy, but someone from the Gulfstar Owners Association facebook group gave me the advice to ask around here / to place my request with you...

I am a 34 year old german male, sitting in a hotel room in Miami Beach right now. My boat, a 37' Gulfstar sailing sloop is sitting on the hard in Marsh Harbour. I really like my boat, so I bought a couple of these bendable solar panels as a gift, which I would like to present to her in person soon

So I am looking for a ride from anywhere in Florida to the Abacos in the next couple of days, and I would totally pay for it, as my other option is going by plane (with 3 bulky + easly damageable panels and 2 SOLAS rockets I would have to give away in this case). So if you want some able company and some cabbage in your kitty... I might be your mate.

I am a handsome guy who grew up on the german north sea coast and knows how to sail. I can shut up and just keep a lookout on motor boats, too. German captains license and passport, Bahamian cruising permit, and I'm even bringing my own PFD. I am not a psycho druglord or an axe murderer in case you are wondering, and if you are in doubt we can have a coffee or some beers together before you let me aboard your vessel.

Thanks for reading. You can contact me here or at danielkarlkrause at mail dot de

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, I am altering my request... I have to fly over on monday/tuesday. But I can't take the parts and solar panels with me onto the plane. I am offering 400 bucks to anyone who is going over to thebahamas next week and willing to take my stuff with him. This is the amount equaling the excess baggage fees. You can go ahead and rummage thru the parts and check everything to your convenience, you won't find drugs, I'm sorry! :p
even if you just bring the panels for me, it would be of great help.
Thanks!
daniel

Last edited:
With all the hassle it might be cheaper to go over and simple to sail back to FL, load up on cheap food and booze , and just sail back.

One overnight each way, ??? Hardly a big deal.

With all the hassle it might be cheaper to go over and simple to sail back to FL, load up on cheap food and booze , and just sail back.

One overnight each way, ??? Hardly a big deal.

look like you might be right again.....

What are the customs issues with bringing in stuff for someone else? Is there duty to be paid?

Anyone here ever experience something like this?

Thank you for your suggestions.

I already placed similar requests with similar alterations with sailnet and cruisersforum. With similar results :)

As a german citizen I can perfectly fly back and forth, but to enter the US on a boat I would have to obtain a visa first. Lenghty and expensive process.

How about just paying someone to meet you 12 miles out for the transfer?

Sounds like something an assistance towing company would do for about that $400 and taking the stuff in international waters I don't think would be an issue...anyone know of one?

What are the customs issues with bringing in stuff for someone else? Is there duty to be paid?

If it is already on your boat while clearing in, there are no issues. Ships stores. Spares. Pick one.

Sounds like something an assistance towing company would do for about that $400 and taking the stuff in international waters I don't think would be an issue...anyone know of one?

Well there is this one bozo I know of....:D

It would be a little more than $400 from Cape May, NJ.

But I could see a flat rate negotiated for not even that much if done at a slow time.

It would be a little more than $400 from Cape May, NJ.

But I could see a flat rate negotiated for not even that much if done at a slow time.

Oh, assumed you were already down south.

hahaha, while totally reasonable, this really sounds shady :D Like something from the movies... "meet me on bla degrees minutes decimal, at zero dark twenty, I'll show a white light, you flash a red one."

Last edited:
But honestly, who should I ask? Hey, I am new to Miami or Havanna or whatever this is.

I mean, this is what big brother is talking of: Never take a strangers luggage on your behalf, and so on. Who would do this? You don't walk into some shop and leave your solar panels there, I assume.

Yes I've done it many times. They don't ask if it's for some one else and you don't volunteer that information.

Or you could just show the other boats cruising permit and explain its a vessel in transit.

Last edited:
Its only 50 miles , if the boat needs a new dink, get one and motor over.

Should be cheaper than an at sea running meeting.

4 hours in a Boston Whaler 13 with an 18hp on the back.

Or you could just show the other boats cruising permit and explain its a vessel in transit.

This exactly what would cause commotion, because the "boat in transit" option was cancelled in 2009. Till then, you could just fly in your parts, show your cruising permit and the duty was waived, at least partly. Now, everything is .. 45% or you have to expect to spend a lot of time negotiating your way up to the supervisors supervisor while your stuff is on hold.

If you have solar panels with backing plates of solid gold belonging to Kim Jong Il, and they are already on your boat, nobody bats an eye. If you are flying them in, everybody looses their minds.

Last edited:
4 hours in a Boston Whaler 13 with an 18hp on the back.

FF, I think you overestimate the mothership..
I've got a Gulfstar 37' aft cockpit sailboat... If I'd install davits on the whaler, I could put my sailboat in them :)

Just wanted to let you guys know: I found a potential solution. A really nice person just happened to sent me an email this morning, we went on a sailing daytrip afterwards, and maybe he's taking me & my stuff to West End or so the next couple of days. So this story seems to come to a favorable outcome. Cheers,
Daniel

Glad it worked out. Happy cruising.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom