Pamlico Sound (Old House Channel)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Hi everyone,

So Bess and I are going to be moving our boat to Manteo for a change of scenery for six months (or longer). We are leaving New Bern next Friday, and if the winds are favorable, we may go up the Pamlico Sound instead of taking the ICW. My question is about going through Old House Channel. How well marked is it and how accurate are the current markings (post Matthew)?

I know the markings reverse at Green "OH" Red "36" because of Oregon Inlet, but I know how "dynamic" that area can be, so I figured I would check with you guys that may have gone through there more recently than us. Or ever...

We draft 4'4" if that matters.

THANKS Y'ALL!!

Tom,

We came down Coatan Sound (Coinjock to River Dunes) last week (first time not going the Alligator River ICW route) and had no problems...several other 40 ft-ish power boats as well. I don't think we ever saw less than 8ft on the depth sounder. We did not go into Manteo.

Cheers

bryan

Bryan, what speed were you making and how long did that run take from Coinjock to River Dunes?

6 hrs-ish...was not on my boat but helping a friend move his south...it cruised at 26kts...mine is actually just down the dock from Skinny at NWC. We're headed south on Monday

cheers

Bryan

Small world, eh? Sorry we haven't gotten to meet personally!! Safe travels to you and yours!

I did that leg- Manteo to Ocracoke several years ago. Like you I was a bit nervous, but it worked out fine. You might want to look at Active Captain for shoaling spots along the way.

We draw about 4' and had no problem. Pamlico Sound is all mud so errors aren't that consequential.

David

We completed the trip last weekend taking the ICW instead of crossing the sound. Here are a few pictures to share! Very thankful for a beautiful weekend cruising!

Attachments

• IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1472.JPG
    IMG_1472.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 297
Guys,
Good job!
Y'all go everywhere! My current job may be going away. As I look/interview for my next role, if there is a gap, I am interested in running Sand Castle to Manteo and annoying you. You cannot escape me! Admiral-permitting, I may need and take a de-stress cruise and raid your galley fridge. Or fill it up, depending on my shopping habits. Manteo would be 2 days for me at 7 knots. Hope all is well.
B

Last edited:
Guys,
Good job!
Y'all go everywhere! My current job may be going away. As I look/interview for my next role, if there is a gap, I am interested in running Sand Castle to Manteo and annoying you. You cannot escape me! Admiral-permitting, I may need and take a de-stress cruise and raid your galley fridge. Or fill it up, depending on my shopping habits. Manteo would be 2 days for me at 7 knots. Hope all is well.
B

Bring it on Ben!! When we did the trip in the original SD, we overnighted in Belhaven and at Alligator River Marina. The last (3rd) leg being very short, 25-30 miles. But we also left from Oriental, not NWCM at that time.

Hope the job thing works out however you want it to! We'll be in Manteo for 3-6 months.

Reactions: Ben
Thanks Bess! If I am out for a few weeks, I may have some true time to shape up the boat. We'll see. I'd love to make the haul to Manteo, just for a short visit. What I really need is to get to the boat with tools and rip out some windows and replace. If I have this open time, that would allow for that. Just have to see what happens.

Oh - hey - do you guys have monitoring cameras when you are away? Or a boat- router? I would like to set up a router/camera system for the boat, cheap. Curious if y'all have done it.

Ben

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom