Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

City: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Okeechobee Waterway

We're planning a trip next month from Jupiter, Florida to Sanibel Island, Fl via the Okeechobee waterway. I was wondering if any of you fellow trawlers have any suggestions. Good marinas along the way and information on controlling depths etc.

Thanks,
Capt Mike

drmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmnj View Post
We're planning a trip next month from Jupiter, Florida to Sanibel Island, Fl via the Okeechobee waterway. I was wondering if any of you fellow trawlers have any suggestions. Good marinas along the way and information on controlling depths etc.

Thanks,
Capt Mike
R

Rialto Harbor at Alva is one of our favorites. Not much near there, but very relaxing. There was a good pizza place in an old gas station up on the highway.

Rialto Harbor Marina in Alva, Florida, United States

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
R

Rialto Harbor at Alva is one of our favorites. Not much near there, but very relaxing. There was a good pizza place in an old gas station up on the highway.

That sounds good. Do you have the coordinates?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
R

I just found it and it looks like a nice spot. Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Capt. Mike: Looks as if I'll probably be doing the same trip around the same time. I'm camped out right on the Waterway in Stuart, so all I have to do is take my first left. Be aware that when I left my boat last week, the tides were running about a foot higher than usual at the marina, and not really going down too much. The Army Corps. had the gates open at the lake, and the St. Lucie river was moving at 3-4 knots. A broker was trying to get into the marina with an Independence Cherubini trawler and had to charge full speed toward the sea wall just to get a bow line to me. There's a lot of rain going on still, and my guess is that the flood gates will stay open for a while. That means you're going to be going uphill till you get to the Lake. I'll be taking my Manatee up to our Longboat Key residence.
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
R

Listen to the Moonman! He knows all the good eats on the east coast. You have an amazing memory for restaurants, Don!! One more thing I love about you!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Listen to the Moonman! He knows all the good eats on the east coast. You have an amazing memory for restaurants, Don!! One more thing I love about you!
Awe shucks, it's nothing, but thanks.

The couple travelling with us had lived in Naples Italy for three years. They said it was the best pizza since leaving there. Go figure. A converted gas station on a highway in the middle of nowhere had the best pizza! That's what I like about travelling.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #8

City: Loudon, Tn
Vessel Name: Miss Lee
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Rialto marina?

I thought I had heard the Realto marina had closed. The owner was going cruising. Can anyone verify this?
glennwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwhiskey View Post
I thought I had heard the Realto marina had closed. The owner was going cruising. Can anyone verify this?
Below is from Active Captain...pretty handy and quick reference...can't guarantee it's accuracy...but it's always been "right on" for me.

"Marina
Additional info: The owners of Rialto Harbor Docks have decided to retire and will be closing the marina the end of April 2013. We wish them many happy and healthy years of retirement."
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We made the trip in 2010 if you check the blog below 2010, March 25- 28 you can see the details of our trip.
We also did it in 2009 before my Bloggin' days I'll see if I can find the info and post it tonight I do recall we had a nice overnight at FF's dock,thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I'll be heading through with my crew the week of 9/23. More of a delivery trip though so I am going to shoot through as fast as I can. In the past I have stayed at Roland Martin's in Clewiston, it is OK, but a little pricey for what they offer. I've also stayed at the Moore Haven City dock, nice dock and cheap, but not a lot there. More of a place to lay your head than anything else.

The Fort Myers yacht Basin is also a nice stop. Lots to do via foot in FM.

Indiantown Marina is really nice, but likely not far enough along to stop at for you.

Water levels are super high right now, you should have at least 9' all the way through.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Below is from Active Captain...pretty handy and quick reference...can't guarantee it's accuracy...but it's always been "right on" for me.

"Marina
Additional info: The owners of Rialto Harbor Docks have decided to retire and will be closing the marina the end of April 2013. We wish them many happy and healthy years of retirement."
Too bad for the cruisers. The place was unique. Each dock was a private "T" dock with comfortable chairs under the shade. If you wanted to grill they would start a real oak fire to get coals ready. They brought a newpaper and vase of fresh flowers in the mornings. The grounds were beautiful with palms and live oaks. The pool is nestled in a private corner of the property. Most of their clients were repeats or permanent. They kept a record of your stays.

The owner, Bus, had bought a farm in the Tennessee Mountains that he was preparing for retirement. They also owned a large steel explorer type sail boat for extended voyages.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Capt. Mike: Looks as if I'll probably be doing the same trip around the same time. I'm camped out right on the Waterway in Stuart, so all I have to do is take my first left. Be aware that when I left my boat last week, the tides were running about a foot higher than usual at the marina, and not really going down too much. The Army Corps. had the gates open at the lake, and the St. Lucie river was moving at 3-4 knots. A broker was trying to get into the marina with an Independence Cherubini trawler and had to charge full speed toward the sea wall just to get a bow line to me. There's a lot of rain going on still, and my guess is that the flood gates will stay open for a while. That means you're going to be going uphill till you get to the Lake. I'll be taking my Manatee up to our Longboat Key residence.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully The Army Corps. gets wise and stops flooding the estuaries with fresh water. They have already caused enough damage. We'll probably be departing September 9th or 10th. Keep in touch. Our vessel is The Path.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
We made the trip in 2010 if you check the blog below 2010, March 25- 28 you can see the details of our trip.
We also did it in 2009 before my Bloggin' days I'll see if I can find the info and post it tonight I do recall we had a nice overnight at FF's dock,thanks!
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
I'll be heading through with my crew the week of 9/23. More of a delivery trip though so I am going to shoot through as fast as I can. In the past I have stayed at Roland Martin's in Clewiston, it is OK, but a little pricey for what they offer. I've also stayed at the Moore Haven City dock, nice dock and cheap, but not a lot there. More of a place to lay your head than anything else.

The Fort Myers yacht Basin is also a nice stop. Lots to do via foot in FM.

Indiantown Marina is really nice, but likely not far enough along to stop at for you.

Water levels are super high right now, you should have at least 9' all the way through.
Thanks. We should be departing September 9th or 10th.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
Guru

Here is why I will miss Rialto Harbor. This was shot from the boat docked there. A nice place to hang out for a couple of days.

Morning at Rialto Harbor. Moonstruck preparing to pull out heading East.Bus' sail boat is driectly behind, but you can't tell much about it.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Here is why I will miss Rialto Harbor. This was shot from the boat docked there. A nice place to hang out for a couple of days.

Dang. That sure looks like a great place to stop. I guess I'll miss it.

Army Corps announced today that they will begin to squeeze off the lake flow a bit, saying that the Lake levels are coming down now. Of course, in Florida, that could all change next week.
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I located my 2009 crossing notes
Jan 12 dept Vero Beach Muni. Marina 8:30 Am
to Stuart Spent night at a dock in the St Lucie COE Park arrived 4 Pm. just West of the St Lucie Lock $24.oo per night
Jan 13 Dept 8 AM, 11 am at Mayaca lock into lake, 2 PM arr Roland Martin's Marina no problems crossing lake, choppy windy. Marina charged $72.00
Jan 14 Dept Roland Martin's 10:20 AM Passed Moore Haven lock, arrived FF dock on Turkey Creek 2:30 PM.
Jan 15 Dept FF's 8am. exited Franklin lock 12:30 Pm. Arr Ft Myers Muni Marina at 2:30 PM
Ft Myers is a very nice place for a stay walk to Edison, Ford houses/museum, Publix and lots of good restaurants.
The City Marina and Legendary Marina are both good but we have a slight prefference for legendary.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #19
FF
Guru

City marina has great fuel price, last fill up.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #20

It looks like we'll be crossing lake Okeechobee towards the middle or end if September. We're heading to the Everglades to do some fishing them we'll probably run back thru the Keys.
Tailwinds,
Capt Mike