Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #21

City: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
I'll be heading through with my crew the week of 9/23. More of a delivery trip though so I am going to shoot through as fast as I can. In the past I have stayed at Roland Martin's in Clewiston, it is OK, but a little pricey for what they offer. I've also stayed at the Moore Haven City dock, nice dock and cheap, but not a lot there. More of a place to lay your head than anything else.

The Fort Myers yacht Basin is also a nice stop. Lots to do via foot in FM.

Indiantown Marina is really nice, but likely not far enough along to stop at for you.

Water levels are super high right now, you should have at least 9' all the way through.
It looks like we'll be crossing lake Okeechobee towards the middle or end if September also. We're heading to the Everglades to do some fishing then we'll probably run back thru the Keys.
Tailwinds,
Capt Mike

drmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #22

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
We did the trip both ways back in June on our way to the Abacos aboard a friend's 52' Ocean Yacht. As it can move a little faster than a trawler , we made it in one day coming back. We did stay at the Moore Haven City docks going over. It was ridiculously cheap,$1.00 a foot with water and 50 amp power. The lake will probably still be plenty high when you cross but be careful as you near the Moore Haven Locks, there is construction in the rim canal and you must hug the metal coffer dam there to avoid the rocks on the north edge.
And we stayed at Rialto Harbor several times in our small trawler over the years. It was truly a neat place. And the big expedition boat there was actually built by the owner. We got a tour of it before it was finished and its really somthing!

Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #23

City: Melbourne, FL
Vessel Name: Miss Hanna
Vessel Model: Prairie Trawler 29
Crossing the Lake

Just finished a crossing of Lake Okeechobee 9/20/13. Lake was up so no problems with depth. Stayed at Legacy Harbour Marina in Ft Myers. Great marina with lots to do downtown. Publix just a short walk away for provisions. Breakfast and donut place just across the street for breakfast.
Stayed at Roland Martin Marina in Clewiston, not top knotch but a good place to get out of the wind. Plan on a taxi if you need anything.
Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart is great also. Downtown just across the street is full of restaurants and shops to spend time at. Weekends are even better.

Capt Page
"Miss Hanna"
Madeirabch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #24

Thanks, we just left the Everglades after crossing over Okeechobee waterway. We're staying at Hawks Cay Marina in Marathon Key now. Sent from my iPhone On Sep 23, 2013, at 4:45 PM, "Trawler Forum" <support@trawlerforum.com> wrote: Dear drmnj, Madeirabch has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Okeechobee Waterway - in the Cruising and Events - East Coast forum of Trawler Forum. This thread is located at: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...-new-post.html Here is the message that has just been posted: *************** Just finished a crossing of Lake Okeechobee 9/20/13. Lake was up so no problems with depth. Stayed at Legacy Harbour Marina in Ft Myers. Great marina with lots to do downtown. Publix just a short walk away for provisions. Breakfast and donut place just across the street for breakfast. Stayed at Roland Martin Marina in Clewiston, not top knotch but a good place to get out of the wind. Plan on a taxi if you need anything. Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart is great also. Downtown just across the street is full of restaurants and shops to spend time at. Weekends are even better. Capt Page "Miss Hanna" *************** There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again. All the best, Trawler Forum ~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Thanks, we just left the Everglades after crossing over Okeechobee waterway. We're staying at Hawks Cay Marina in Marathon Key now.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2013, at 4:45 PM, "Trawler Forum" <support@trawlerforum.com> wrote:

Dear drmnj,

Madeirabch has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Okeechobee Waterway - in the Cruising and Events - East Coast forum of Trawler Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Just finished a crossing of Lake Okeechobee 9/20/13. Lake was up so no problems with depth. Stayed at Legacy Harbour Marina in Ft Myers. Great marina with lots to do downtown. Publix just a short walk away for provisions. Breakfast and donut place just across the street for breakfast.
Stayed at Roland Martin Marina in Clewiston, not top knotch but a good place to get out of the wind. Plan on a taxi if you need anything.
Sunset Bay Marina and Anchorage in Stuart is great also. Downtown just across the street is full of restaurants and shops to spend time at. Weekends are even better.

Capt Page
"Miss Hanna"

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Trawler Forum

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...af877bc19e6aa0

Thanks for the info. We crossed over on Sept 15th and fished the 10,000 Islands the last few days. We're now at Hawks Cay Marina in Marathon and heading back north on Thurs or Fri. We caught some keeper Snook, Trout, Redfish and Triple-tail. Hopefully we'll get a good window of weather to head back home.
Tailwinds,
Capt Mike
Twailwinds Capt Mike
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Thanks for that timely report, Capt. Page. I'm parked over at Stuart now, and plan to do the trip over here to the Gulf side in a couple of weeks. Was there any concern with the additional current from the Army Corps. water releases from the Lake? I just got a report that in my Marina located on the St. Lucie, the water levels have been pretty high, so...
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Thanks for that timely report, Capt. Page. I'm parked over at Stuart now, and plan to do the trip over here to the Gulf side in a couple of weeks. Was there any concern with the additional current from the Army Corps. water releases from the Lake? I just got a report that in my Marina located on the St. Lucie, the water levels have been pretty high, so...
We had no problems with any current and we were towing an 18' Flats boat. We crossed on Sept 15 &16th. We did get some torrential rains but no problems at the locks. or currents. I hope you have a better weather window than we did. Have fun.
Capt Mike