Old 10-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #81
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So if that spot got put in AC...I certainly could see it getting flak from many but strongly supported by others.

Jeffrey...any possibility of ever including or linking to a chartlet of a problem area that someone could have made notes on?...sure it sounds like a huge data storage problem...but if someone took ownership in a review, could they post a link to some online photo storage?
If the spot is along the NJICW, I have a feeling there's already a hazard marker on it - do you have an approximate lat/lon, mile marker, or something descriptive about it's location? They say, never ask a question you don't know the answer to - but if the spot is bad, I have faith that we have it documented already.

ActiveCaptain's data is licensed to 40 companies and governments today. Companies use it in their own product to often display that data over nautical charts - even the AC website does that. What's coming next are the chartplotter product lines that are adding ActiveCaptain inside as well. Most will have options for quickly turning on and off data - you might want to run underway with hazards on and marinas off for example. Chartplotter integration is happening in a big way.

One of our goals is that the core set of ActiveCaptain data is designed to reside offline on the laptop, phone, tablet, or chartplotter especially when there is no internet access available. When you need to know "right now" what that hazard says, you don't want to hope there's a good cellular connection. We have hazards throughout the world where there aren't cell towers too - there are many hazards in French Polynesia, along the Alaskan coastline, and even some data in the Antarctic (boats need anchorages there too!). Having it all offline makes the access instantaneous and available so it can be relied upon.

So that offline requirement forces the data to be tight and compressible. It limits the amount of data and so we don't allow photos and video inside. But that's changing too - eBoatCards is designed to handle all media. It's all online and live and the linkages between AC and eBC are being added to allow you to find, let's say, an anchorage in AC and then see the 30 pictures recently added from boaters who were there. eBC likes media like blogs and video and it'll link those into the data as well. But eBC is all online in order to serve the much larger data in a reasonable way while still keeping the core AC data offline.

We've also written how eBC is being extended so that the categories of data to be crowd-sourced can be crowd-sourced. If someone wants to starts a database of ice cream parlors along the waterway, we have a way for them to do that. Others can then add to it and that data can be overlaid by all the licensees on their nautical charts or viewed on the eBC website. The databases can optionally have reviews too so a database about Canvas Repair might list every facility that does canvas repair and allow reviews to be collected. Most times, the quality of the work done is more important than whether they have a business license at a particular location.

So yeah, we listen to the thousands of comments and suggestions we get every month. We see clear trends, talk to our licensees, and then play "what if" games to figure out how to satisfy the need in an efficient way that will work to collect the information. We're still at the beginning of all of these capabilities.

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #82

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
.... What's coming next are the chartplotter product lines that are adding ActiveCaptain inside as well. Most will have options for quickly turning on and off data - you might want to run underway with hazards on and marinas off for example. Chartplotter integration is happening in a big way.

One of our goals is that the core set of ActiveCaptain data is designed to reside offline on the laptop, phone, tablet, or chartplotter especially when there is no internet access available. When you need to know "right now" what that hazard says, you don't want to hope there's a good cellular connection. We have hazards throughout the world where there aren't cell towers too - there are many hazards in French Polynesia, along the Alaskan coastline, and even some data in the Antarctic (boats need anchorages there too!). Having it all offline makes the access instantaneous and available so it can be relied upon......
Having real-time and/or offline hazards/markers is probably the biggest item on cruisers wishlist.

Since I use my helm's electronics as primary nav tool, I have to spend at least couple of hours to analyze/plot my routes, cross reference AC hazards and manually mark them all on my plotter. This way I have the offline hazards available on the fly. I'd love to have a plotter that would integrate with AC's data.

In order to satisfy my real-time requirement, just as many others, I've purchased GARMIN's Blue Charts (in addition to Navionics Mobile App). I've always used Navionics App on my iDevices until I've learned that Blue Charts have real-time integration. While cruising along the coast, I'll have cell coverage at least 90% of the time. So, besides seeing manually added hazards on my plotter, having access to real-time hazards with details (on my iphone or ipad) helps tremendously.

Jeffrey, I can't thank you enough for making such a great product. I'd love to help in order to keep it's data as current as possible. As I cruise, I always try adding comments and missing info, including new hazards.

Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #83
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
No, straight from Morehead/Beaufort Inlet to Frying Pan then around into Bald Head.
If you took Frying Pan Slough, that's the long way. If you were "feeling lucky" and cut inside the slough, maybe close. I've never felt that lucky. Some friends of ours have a place on Bald Head we visit once or twice a year' you can walk to Cape Fear point from their place. Amazing amount of boat-stuff washes up, including hull sides, biminis, chairs, coolers, etc.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #84
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
Jeffrey, I can't thank you enough for making such a great product. I'd love to help in order to keep it's data as current as possible. As I cruise, I always try adding comments and missing info, including new hazards.
That's the magic of it all. ActiveCaptain is just a framework for collecting and distributing data. The local knowledge, ultimately, comes from you and all of us who are out there cruising.

So really, thank you!

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote