Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
NC Pumpout Log

One of my cruising guides states that boats passing through North Carolina must carry and maintain a log of pumpouts. The rest of the guides do not mention this. I've heard something about this in the past, but is it true or not?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
We have not heard of an official announcement of one as-of yet. It was mentioned a time or two over the past couple of years, however, I do not believe it's a requirement. There will be a lot of procedures put in place like enforcement policy, penalties, measurement of waste at pumpouts stations, etc. before it could be enacted. If they will require us to do it, it jives that they will probably require the pumpout stations to keep a record as well. I suspect, that will be a tall order. Marinas, in general, hate paperwork unless it leads to more revenue. It would then be a logical step to think that there is a lobby that is holding legislation like this back. However, in anticipation of it (and because it's so easy to do), Bess and I already keep an unofficial "log" of Skinny Dippin's pumpouts. It's just a little 4" spiral notepad ($0.99) written in pen with date and location. No record of approximate amount or name of dock person that performed it. Like I said, it's so easy that I figure it's smart for us to go ahead and get used to the idea.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #3

We keep one just in case but I have to tell you that NC could stand to be a little more pump out friendly. We didn't see single readily accessible one in the whole state.

Dave
Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Dang, Dave. I can name some. ;-)

Just off the top of my head:
Morehead City Yacht Basin
Beaufort Town Docks
Caspers (from memory, but not 100%)
River Dunes
(up river) Northwest Creek, New Bern Grand, Bridgepoint
Joyner Marina

These are just the ones we use in our neighborhood. ;-)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

I stand corrected!

Dave
Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I think there was something about a no pump zone somewhere in NC and boats that operated in the zone had to keep logs? Nice thing about Oregon and Washington, both states support pumpout stations and they install them everywhere and the service is free.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Guru

A web search only brings up stuff from three years ago or opinions from boaters. There's supposed to be a no discharge zone on the Cape Fear River and nearby.

Nothing current from official NC sources that I could find.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Logging the pumping of logs?

Crappy idea that I hope does not spread.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
I stand corrected!

Dave
Hi Dave, At night, I go over to Tom & Bess's boat and drink all their liquor and go there. It saves us on pump-outs tremendously. They get me back by shoving me over-board and floating me back to my swim platform and tying me off.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

As long as they tie you off so you know where you are in the morning they have my respect.

Dave
Old 01-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Guru

I've learned from other sources that this this law has not been put in place or that enforcement has been suspended. No worry.

However, it appears that Key West (FL) is considering passing a similar law.

Pump-out rule mulled | KeysNews.com
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I really don't see this as a big deal. I imagine more and more jurisdictions will require such info. Liveaboards in our marina in Seattle are required to provide pumpout certificates every month. For us, a pumpout gets entered in our log just like any other event. So, if a jurisdiction wants to go through it and track pumpouts, have at it.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I really don't see this as a big deal. I imagine more and more jurisdictions will require such info. Liveaboards in our marina in Seattle are required to provide pumpout certificates every month. For us, a pumpout gets entered in our log just like any other event. So, if a jurisdiction wants to go through it and track pumpouts, have at it.
Some people record everything they do on or to their boats. I'm just not that "anal" (bad pun).

As a practical matter, boaters could easily fake their pumpout logs or they could get a "real" pumpout every few weeks and dump their sewage overboard in the meantime. If I just spend a couple days in NC, who is to say I would have needed a pumpout during that time?

While we would like to think that people don't dump their sewage into the waterways, many folks do and for those who do, enforcement is almost impossible.

Trying to comply with different laws in a dozen states while transiting the AICW would be a pretty big burden on a private boater.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Some people record everything they do on or to their boats. I'm just not that "anal" (bad pun).

As a practical matter, boaters could easily fake their pumpout logs or they could get a "real" pumpout every few weeks and dump their sewage overboard in the meantime. If I just spend a couple days in NC, who is to say I would have needed a pumpout during that time?

While we would like to think that people don't dump their sewage into the waterways, many folks do and for those who do, enforcement is almost impossible.

Trying to comply with different laws in a dozen states while transiting the AICW would be a pretty big burden on a private boater.
Very true statements......
Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
While a burden...state laws do apply and can be enforced...NJ can and will force you out of their waters if you cannot prove some sort of boating safety course passed. The time frame is usually reasonable ...but still enforced.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #16

Yes tough to regulate but now that I keep a log I've learned we put 100 gallons into a treatment plant rather than the ocean. I read where the county pump out boats in NJ took in 800,000 gallons last summer which was all from boats in the bays. Scary when you think it all went in the bay.

Dave
Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I think there was something about a no pump zone somewhere in NC and boats that operated in the zone had to keep logs? Nice thing about Oregon and Washington, both states support pumpout stations and they install them everywhere and the service is free.
In California, a pump-out is free if you do it yourself at the many pump-out stations. Still, I've signed up for periodic pump-out for a fee to have someone come to my boat to suck out the holding tank's content.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
Guru

Well in Alaska, we just pump it over board and let it flow south down the west coast!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Yes tough to regulate but now that I keep a log I've learned we put 100 gallons into a treatment plant rather than the ocean. I read where the county pump out boats in NJ took in 800,000 gallons last summer which was all from boats in the bays. Scary when you think it all went in the bay.

Dave
Yes, but much of it was water used for flushing. It wasn't 800,000 gallons of poop.

Many municipal sewage systems routinely leak or overflow raw sewage into bays and rivers. They don't get fined. It's happened a couple times upstream from my marina.

Just think how many gallons of fish and animal poop is in the river or bay!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #20

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
the law was passed but its not enforced in any way shape or form
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote