Old 05-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Yes tough to regulate but now that I keep a log I've learned we put 100 gallons into a treatment plant rather than the ocean. I read where the county pump out boats in NJ took in 800,000 gallons last summer which was all from boats in the bays. Scary when you think it all went in the bay.

Dave
Yep and one storm and a single Jersey towns sewage treatment overrun exceeds all the pumpouts from boats in compliance. NJ from Little Egg North is a NDZ. There is a big difference between discharging treated waste and just pumping raw sewage overboard.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormike View Post
the law was passed but its not enforced in any way shape or form
I just passed through NC and made several stops. Nothing was mentioned about a pumpout or log. Honestly, I had forgotten all about it.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Yep and one storm and a single Jersey towns sewage treatment overrun exceeds all the pumpouts from boats in compliance. NJ from Little Egg North is a NDZ. There is a big difference between discharging treated waste and just pumping raw sewage overboard.
Bill
But you said it... a storm causes an overrun but the same storm flushes the bay. You live by a nice open inlet with good tidal change. Once you get north of the LBI bridge and all the way to Toms River the only drainage is through skinny Barnegat Inlet. I well recall the "floaters" in Barnegat Bay before we had holding tanks and before LBI was sewered. The bay has come along way since those days... except for the increase in fertilizer runoff that is.

Dave
Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
Most marinas I've stayed in NC have pump out, however, Caspers charge $30.00/30 gallons. I was shocked !!! I asked why? Well, they said they have to pump you out to a small (30 gal) container, then transport it over to a sewer pipe, then drain it. Its time consuming. Really? Well, I have a 90 gal holding tank so I'll go somewhere else. I cant imagine paying $90.00 for a pump out. So be careful what you ask for. Get the price first. Oh yeah, I do have a pump out log just in case.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #25
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Not positive, but I think the one pump out operator told me that the marina had to keep a log; boat name, etc. That was almost 5 years ago on the ICW
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
But you said it... a storm causes an overrun but the same storm flushes the bay. You live by a nice open inlet with good tidal change. Once you get north of the LBI bridge and all the way to Toms River the only drainage is through skinny Barnegat Inlet. I well recall the "floaters" in Barnegat Bay before we had holding tanks and before LBI was sewered. The bay has come along way since those days... except for the increase in fertilizer runoff that is.

Dave
Here is my follow up as usual politicians can not differentiate between the discharge of treated waste by a type 1 or type 2 treatment system. I see no harm in dumping treated waste. I totally agree when it comes to the discharge of untreated waste as in floaters. Now that pretty much everyone in our local cruising area has a type 3 (a holding tank) there should be no discharge of waste in NDZs. My type 1 a Raritan PurSan can only pull black water and treat it from my holding tank a type 3. This way I can legally operate in NDZ's. We get plenty of crap in Little Egg after storms it does not all get purged to the Ocean. Even say it did where would it end up? Probably the same places where we have extensive shoaling like almost out to the LE 3 mile bell. My feeling is the general public would be better served if boats were allowed to have annually inspected type 1 or type 2 treatment systems in addition to a type 3 for when you are in a marina.
After all it is legal to discharge black water past the 3 mile shoreline.
Bill
Old 05-31-2014, 11:42 PM   #27
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
While a burden...state laws do apply and can be enforced...NJ can and will force you out of their waters if you cannot prove some sort of boating safety course passed. The time frame is usually reasonable ...but still enforced.
Why would anybody want to live or boat in NJ?
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Why would anybody want to live or boat in NJ?
I ask myself the same question but I can't sell any of my real estate holdings or I'd be out of here.
Bill