Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
I'm a little lost here. Do not all the people of NC benefit from deep water dredging? Here along the GICW there is tons of commerce. Does not take long to realize that here large quantities of coal, oil and other goods move along the GICW. Since there are tons of coal fired power plants down south barges are the cheapest form of transport.

Federal dollars normally fund dredging projects. Don't the elected politicians who reside in DC bear some responsibility for insuring that commerce is allowed to flow between the states?
There in lies the problem. Historically federal dollars funded the dredging projects. Federal dollars have either remained stagnant or been reduced. As such dredging more resembles bandaid work, take care or the stuff on the surface and postpone major work. In a number of places the ICW and nearby inlets need surgery. The funds aren't there, so the army corps now has to decide what can be fixed with a bandaid and which items have to be abandoned. Earlier this spring the feds said they didn't have the money to fix Oregon Inlet, so they abandoned it. Then the the Coast Guard said it's unsafe in it's current condition and either closed it or threatened to close it. So the state on NC had to step in.

Yes the federal government should maintain the waterways and inlets just as they should maintain the interstate hiway system. We fund both through our taxes, but the money gets spent elsewhere.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
BoatUS is the best defense so far...

Anyone who is not a member (even if you are a Sea Tow or other assistance towing member...it is OK to support BoatUS main and foundation...I do enthusiastically because of stuff like this) support BoatUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their lobby has been effective through the years at many anti boating legislation.

Personal involvement at all levels wont hurt either.
Agreed!

Old 06-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
There in lies the problem... We fund both through our taxes, but the money gets spent elsewhere. Ted
Dang skippy, and we need to hold those that waste our tax dollars accountable.
Unfortunately, it'll probably never happen.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #24
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Here is Boat US' website entry which they have asked us to "forward to friends" which contains an easy way for NC residents to emal their legislators to protest the proposed bill:

BoatUS Government Affairs - NC Boaters Alert - New $72-$1300 Annual Coastal Boat Fee Proposed

The form requires name/address etc and will automatically send the letters (or emails) to your respective state reps and senators.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post

Dang skippy, and we need to hold those that waste our tax dollars accountable.
Unfortunately, it'll probably never happen.
I'm with off duty. no new taxes or fees or charges or whatever until the government can get a handle on the money they already have. there is too much money going to bs projects colleges and universities to do stupid studies and a whole buttload of money going overseas for who knows what.

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote