Marina Recommendation (NC-SC) for May-Nov)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackson

I'm looking for a place to keep my Mainship 430 from about 1 May until 1 Nov. *Previously, I kept the boat at Kent Narrows, MD, but since we live in central Virginia, I'd rather drive the 5 hours (or a little more) south to the boat which would make the annual FL trip that much shorter. *Price is a factor, as is ability to get maintenance done and some protection in hurricanes.

Thanks,
Jackson
Ocean Front Property
Mainship 430

Believe it or not, the further South you go in South Carolina better chance of missing a hurricane. *The Savannah/Hilton Head area has not had a furricane for about the last 100 years. *They are tucked in away from the normal hurricane track.

That being said, I will recommend Shelter Cove Harbor on Hilton Head. *I have had 4 extended stays there. *It is a great area, the harbor is very sheltered, and marine services are available. *I would go back. *We only left in early November to move back to south Florida.

Shelter Cove will give you access to golf, tennis, the beach, and great restaurants. *There are also activities for children and bike paths all over the island.

http://www.palmettodunes.com/hilton-head-island-marina.php

Hi,
Recommend Osprey Marina in South Myrtle Beach. Just off the Waccamaw River, good hurricane hole, and if you drive there, you solve the transportation problem.
Good luck,
Roger

We really enjoyed Port Royal Marina next to Beaufort SC when we came up this summer.

My boat was being kept at

Hidden Cove Marina
547 Reid Hill Road
Moncks Corner, South Carolina 29461

Phone: (843)899-3001

when I bought it. It's supposedly inexpensive and pretty safe from hurricanes.

Quite frankly, it's a dump. You will only be able to get in and out at high tide and you'll have to call six hours in advance to get a bridge opened on the Cooper River, but if you just want to store it (with electricity), you might want to talk to them.

If you keep your boat in South Carolina for more than 180 days in a calendar yoear, you will owe personal property tax on it.

Are you looking for a place to boat too? Osprey marina, while a VERY nice place has terrible (ok... a tad strong... maybe just sub-par) boating. About all you can do close by is tool up and down the ICW. There are a few places to anchor on a Wacamaw River... maybe hit the marinas in Myrtle Beach, but that's it. Also the further south you get, places like Charleston are going to be more like a 7 or 8 hour drive (maybe more).

I much pitch the inner banks of NC as the idea solution. We are in New Bern, NC. It is a wonderful little town that LOVES it's boating community. If you want a hurricane hole, Northwest Creek Marina is a great choice (~$7.50/ft.). If you want an active and busy downtown with lots of shops, bar, and eateries, The New Bern Grand is your ticket (~$7.25/ft.). Want an even more boating-centric town with LOTS of yards and boating services nearby, check out Oriental (~$10.00/ft.). A quiet marina just outside Oriental is River Dunes (~$8.50+dues). It too is a hurricane hole, but it's a bit far out of town for my taste. Not sure if you can work on your boat there either.

The difference is that all of these places are on the Neuse River, a GREAT body of water to boat upon. Lots of quiet anchorages. Lots of wide open water. Lots of "destinations" like Beaufort, NC, Morehead City, Cape Lookout, Ocrakoke, Bellhaven, Bath. Just to name a few.

In order to not be too Neuse-biased... Take a good look at Southport, NC at the mouth of the Cape Fear too (~$12.00/ft.). It's pretty much ground zero for hurricanes, but they know it and all the marinas offer a preferred pull-out program if a named storm is on the way. Southport is a great place and Bald Head Island and Georgetown, SC are well within reach. (as is Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, and Myrtle Beach), but anchorages are few and far-between.

The Morehead City/Beaufort is the high rent district (~$16.00/ft.). It is a GREAT place, but I prefer to visit there and maybe not stay there full-time. Still, we might stay for a couple of months this summer.

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 08:52:23 PM

Back
Top Bottom