Looking to meet a liveaboard in North East.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NathanNoonan

My wife and I are looking into starting the liveaboard life. We're from New Hampshire and are looking to meet up with some folks and pick their brains about living aboard. We'd love to take a cruise on a boat and maybe get some experience docking and doing maintenance. If anyone would be willing to meet with us please let me know. Thanks

My wife and I are looking into starting the liveaboard life. We're from New Hampshire and are looking to meet up with some folks and pick their brains about living aboard. We'd love to take a cruise on a boat and maybe get some experience docking and doing maintenance. If anyone would be willing to meet with us please let me know. Thanks

You have no experience? If that's the case don't expect to just jump in and start docking, handling or maintaining. Where are you looking to live aboard?

Hello,
Well I am not in the northeast but rather in Brunswick GA, but I know how hard it can be to connect with responsible liveaboard's as I went through this same search (unsuccessfully) 5 years ago before buying my DeFever 48 trawler. I am a full-time liveaboard and have been for the last 5 years now spending most of my time living on and cruising the east coast/Bahamas/Gulf of Mexico with plans to do Cuba/Mexico/Honduras/Belize/Guatemala next season.

I know I am out of your area but if I can answer any questions please feel free to email/text or call, I can also recommend/forward some good reading material that got me through the process if you are looking for a mid-sized trawler. BTW, I am normally a solo-cruiser (significant other has 1.5 years left before retirement) so I am fairly well versed at boat handling.

John
703-683-2029
john.witzel@gmail.com

What boating experience do you have? How much time have you spent on boats and what size?

One of the first questions is whether you and your wife would be happy living in such a small space. Living on a boat sounds romantic, but there are some very practical issues to consider given the size of the living space. Even a large boat gets small after a few months. We love it, but it’s not for everyone and not for every relationship.

Unless you have some experience handling and maintaining boats, a boat large enough to live aboard isn’t the place to start.

My $.02.

I don't live-aboard, but applaud your ask to connect with those who do in your effort to gain experience.

My only previous experience was from a 30' sloop over 20 years ago and [aviation] pilot training - neither of which helped me when maneuvering our trawler into our tight slip for the first time (two 90 degree spins - thankfully we bought a twin).

When we started our search a very nice couple who lives aboard half the year was kind enough to invite us to come tour their Ocean Alexander Mk1 and even took us out on a short cruise. The fuel filters had just been changed out so I got to help prime the engines to get them running - an invaluable experience on it's own. Since then we've kept in touch, even attending a OA rendezvous and meeting even more folks who love cruising and old trawlers. I have no doubt we'll be seeing them again next summer as we cruise the PNW.

Consider joining the Trawler Living and Cruising Facebook group and asking questions there, here and other online communities. Go to meet-ups and boat shows. Consider chartering a training charter (where a captain trains you on operations and systems, docking, navigating, etc) for a long weekend. They offer these here in the PNW out of Anacortes, WA which was our original plan before we found our trawler earlier than planned.

In the end, we all start at zero and learn along the way. Keep learning and you'll figure out what you want, what you like, what brands are for you, and layouts and sizes and systems work for you and finally what budget makes sense.

Then when you're ready you'll know a lot more then you do now.

Couple of great, supportive comments so far. Don't let people dissuade you from your research. And getting out on a liveaboard vessel with another couple is THE BEST WAY to get introduced to the lifestyle. If you lived out here in the PNW I'd be happy to share some experience. However, I'm sure you'll find like-minded individuals in your area. Good luck!

You might want to consider getting a "weekender" type boat. By that I mean something small that you could spend a few days on. This will give you some practical, hands on experience in handling a smaller boat, start navigating, understanding the weather from a boater's perspective, and so on.

For example:
2000 Bayliner 2452 Ciera Express Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A Power Squadron course might be something to consider as well. In addition to their general boating class, they offer:
Seamanship
Piloting
Advanced Piloting
Junior Navigation
Navigation
Cruise Planning
Engine Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Weather
Sail
Instructor Development

The nice thing about making it a transition as opposed to a leap, is that you have more options. You could be a summertime, weekend local boater for a while....you might find that you miss your hometown area, but don't want to live aboard all winter, so you keep the house/buy a condo/etc. Options are always a good thing.

So is expanding your horizons. Enjoy the process.

You have no experience? If that's the case don't expect to just jump in and start docking, handling or maintaining. Where are you looking to live aboard?

Looking at your other posts, I see you're looking in the NE. I think one of the critical questions for you to resolve together is winters on a boat in the water. Is it for you? If you don't find anyone here, I'd go walk some docks on cold winter weekends. Talk to those living there. That still won't answer the question as it will really depend on your tolerance of the conditions so you must really examine yourselves. For every happy couple living year round at those marinas, there's also a couple or family that tried it and after one winter decided it wasn't for them.

I think of us and what we could or would do as much as we love boats. I tried to think under what situation would we endure the conditions. If that was the only way we could own a boat, perhaps we'd persist. However, before we'd live aboard on a trawler, we'd live on land and just have a runabout for the warm seasons.

You're doing the right thing with your questions. Winter is coming. I'd suggest trying to meet any year round liveaboards you can. You've been told marinas that allow it in other threads. Go visit as it gets really cold, perhaps the first frigid weather and snow.

My wife and I was in your same position 2 years ago. We took a powerboat class, then went to our 1st boat show and bought our Selene 43. Call it fate - call it destiny, but we just jumped right in off the deep end. We have been taking private classes from a Captain. Yes, the learning curve is steep and pricey, but that's what makes it so fun.

If you can afford it, try not to buy a fixer upper.

~Lucky Chucky

My wife and I was in your same position 2 years ago. We took a powerboat class, then went to our 1st boat show and bought our Selene 43. Call it fate - call it destiny, but we just jumped right in off the deep end. We have been taking private classes from a Captain. Yes, the learning curve is steep and pricey, but that's what makes it so fun.

~Lucky Chucky

Lucky, was your boat in SD awhile back? It sure looks familiar, and I believe I was on it after the delivery captain brought it over from the E Coast?

We're going to start in Either New Hampshire, Maine, or Massachusetts. Ideally New Hampshire, however, dockage is extremely limited here.

Hello,
Well I am not in the northeast but rather in Brunswick GA, but I know how hard it can be to connect with responsible liveaboard's as I went through this same search (unsuccessfully) 5 years ago before buying my DeFever 48 trawler. I am a full-time liveaboard and have been for the last 5 years now spending most of my time living on and cruising the east coast/Bahamas/Gulf of Mexico with plans to do Cuba/Mexico/Honduras/Belize/Guatemala next season.

I know I am out of your area but if I can answer any questions please feel free to email/text or call, I can also recommend/forward some good reading material that got me through the process if you are looking for a mid-sized trawler. BTW, I am normally a solo-cruiser (significant other has 1.5 years left before retirement) so I am fairly well versed at boat handling.

John
703-683-2029
john.witzel@gmail.com

Thank-you John! I'll definitely be in contact. My wife and I are in our mid 20s so we have to make sure we can still get to work, and live our life on our boat. We are pretty set on doing it! The difficult part is just getting that experience as you've stated.

I don't live-aboard, but applaud your ask to connect with those who do in your effort to gain experience.

My only previous experience was from a 30' sloop over 20 years ago and [aviation] pilot training - neither of which helped me when maneuvering our trawler into our tight slip for the first time (two 90 degree spins - thankfully we bought a twin).

When we started our search a very nice couple who lives aboard half the year was kind enough to invite us to come tour their Ocean Alexander Mk1 and even took us out on a short cruise. The fuel filters had just been changed out so I got to help prime the engines to get them running - an invaluable experience on it's own. Since then we've kept in touch, even attending a OA rendezvous and meeting even more folks who love cruising and old trawlers. I have no doubt we'll be seeing them again next summer as we cruise the PNW.

Consider joining the Trawler Living and Cruising Facebook group and asking questions there, here and other online communities. Go to meet-ups and boat shows. Consider chartering a training charter (where a captain trains you on operations and systems, docking, navigating, etc) for a long weekend. They offer these here in the PNW out of Anacortes, WA which was our original plan before we found our trawler earlier than planned.

In the end, we all start at zero and learn along the way. Keep learning and you'll figure out what you want, what you like, what brands are for you, and layouts and sizes and systems work for you and finally what budget makes sense.

Then when you're ready you'll know a lot more then you do now.

Yeah we're looking to get a 36' Trawler. I've liked the idea of getting an Albin or Marine Trader. We're looking into getting a single engine diesel with a bow thruster. I just think the twin engines will be too expensive, even though they are great for learning on. Having no experience is definitely a challenge but we're willing to take on that challenge. I've been reaching out on here, Crusier forums and some facebook groups. Luckily most people in the community are kind and positive as they were once in the same... errrr boat.

Looking at your other posts, I see you're looking in the NE. I think one of the critical questions for you to resolve together is winters on a boat in the water. Is it for you? If you don't find anyone here, I'd go walk some docks on cold winter weekends. Talk to those living there. That still won't answer the question as it will really depend on your tolerance of the conditions so you must really examine yourselves. For every happy couple living year round at those marinas, there's also a couple or family that tried it and after one winter decided it wasn't for them.

I think of us and what we could or would do as much as we love boats. I tried to think under what situation would we endure the conditions. If that was the only way we could own a boat, perhaps we'd persist. However, before we'd live aboard on a trawler, we'd live on land and just have a runabout for the warm seasons.

You're doing the right thing with your questions. Winter is coming. I'd suggest trying to meet any year round liveaboards you can. You've been told marinas that allow it in other threads. Go visit as it gets really cold, perhaps the first frigid weather and snow.

Our long term plan is to spend summers up here and to go down south for the winter. We don't enjoy winters here, and are willing to brave some pretty cold boat days if that means getting us one step closer to living aboard and going down south. We have family up here which is why moving south hasn't been too much of an option for us, or at least not one we're look at. We may find that we like the south so much that we just stay down there but for now that's our plan.
We have been talking about going to marinas and looking to chat with people. If we do that, how would you suggest we go about finding people to chat with? Neither of us have been too social, and it's out of our comfort zones to just walk up and start a conversation with someone who looks like they are just doing their own thing. We're aware we're going to have to be more social doing this, and happy to do just that, but it's still a process for us.

~Lucky Chucky

Where did you take your classes? We're looking at classes at a place in Rhode Island.

Where did you take your classes? We're looking at classes at a place in Rhode Island.

I took my initial captains class at Confident Captain in Newport/Middletown RI. Definitely recommend.

I'm unclean on whether you plan to winter over in New England or just spend the warmer months. Probably the biggest challenge in NE is that even the marinas who leave dock in the water turn off the fresh water. And pumpout facilities are likely to be shut down too.

Search youtube, some good video's of young couples buying a boat with limited experience and cruising, now I know you are talk live aboard but its all related.

I took my initial captains class at Confident Captain in Newport/Middletown RI. Definitely recommend.

I'm unclean on whether you plan to winter over in New England or just spend the warmer months. Probably the biggest challenge in NE is that even the marinas who leave dock in the water turn off the fresh water. And pumpout facilities are likely to be shut down too.

Confident Captain is exactly where we are looking. We're looking into how much it'll cost for the powerboat courses. We plan on going down south for the winter once we're comfortable doing so. We still need to figure out what we're going to do job wise but we figure the lifestyle comes first so we'll figure it out. :)

Where are your jobs?

Our jobs are in New Hampshire but we're willing to find new jobs, and honestly plan on finding new jobs since we don't make a heck of a lot at the moment. Eventually I'd like to get into the boat repair field. I'm naturally mechanically inclined and it'll obviously be a very useful skill.

Search youtube, some good video's of young couples buying a boat with limited experience and cruising, now I know you are talk live aboard but its all related.

Yeah we watch a few couples on youtube. It's a good inspiration and we've learned a lot but I know it's definitely different watching someone do it, vs doing it ourselves.

Confident Captain is exactly where we are looking. We're looking into how much it'll cost for the powerboat courses. We plan on going down south for the winter once we're comfortable doing so. We still need to figure out what we're going to do job wise but we figure the lifestyle comes first so we'll figure it out. :)

Our jobs are in New Hampshire but we're willing to find new jobs, and honestly plan on finding new jobs since we don't make a heck of a lot at the moment. Eventually I'd like to get into the boat repair field. I'm naturally mechanically inclined and it'll obviously be a very useful skill.

Unless you have some great independent wealth you haven't disclosed, it seems to me you're getting the cart before the horse here. At the very least work and lifestyle are greatly interwoven. Without adequate sources of income, you don't just take off south to cruise for the winter. You also don't support a cruising and liveaboard lifestyle picking up minimum income jobs along the way. (A few with sailboats do but they don't keep the boats at marinas).

You don't face a what kind of boat or where to keep it decision. You face a "what do you want to do with your life decision." Not to be a killjoy, but you need to look at education and budgeting income and expenses for the lifestyle you want. Now is the time to be establishing the base that will lead to you having the lifestyle you want. However, if you don't establish that base, you'll never quite be able to achieve that lifestyle.

I don't know your current income but you indicate it's not good. Have you sat down and budgeted the cost of a boat, maintaining it, running it, insurance, dock costs, electricity, and commuting between the boat and your jobs?

I like that you're considering lifestyle important, but it takes some planning and preparation to achieve. What about a family? Do you intend to start one? Now more expenses.

I recall a conversation years ago with an employee who was very undependable as family problems and kids were always keeping her out of work. It was a very difficult conversation. I praised her commitment as a mother and told her family should always come first. However, that didn't mean there were no other priorities and work was important to be able to keep the family first. So her job should come behind family, just not so far behind as she'd let it come.

We're living our dream life today, but it was made possible by all we did in our teens, 20's and 30's. We always had lifestyle goals, but we had education and work goals that would allow the lifestyle to be possible.

Now, I do encourage you still to go talk to liveaboards. Just go to marinas that allow and accommodate them. Talk to the marinas, if you see people circulating during the winter just speak to them. If they're on the dock or land they will be fine. Just don't disturb people in the privacy of their boats. I'd also expand my questions to asking about things they'd learned, that had surprised them about living aboard there, and how they got to the point of becoming liveaboards. When did they start thinking of it and what did they do to get there.

You mentioned you'd like to be in the boat repair field. What part of it? What are you doing to get into that field, to make it possible? It could fit well with living aboard, but it requires training and experience. What would your wife like to do and is it achievable at the same time.

The two of you need to sit and do some real planning about your future. Develop questions, decide where to go for answers, develop goals and decide how to achieve them. Find family members or friends whose advice you trust. Best of luck in doing so.

Unless you have some great independent wealth you haven't disclosed, it seems to me you're getting the cart before the horse here. ....

Definitely some solid advice here. We've looked into it, and we do have some money saved up. We plan on spending a few winters docked up while saving money and gaining more experience with our boat. Going down south for the winter is a long term plan that will take time. I've been looking into jobs that pay well that I would be able to do from home. While those jobs arn't always easily found, they are out there if you know where to look.

We'd also talked about eventually getting to the point where we can be on the hook rather than at a dock. It obviously comes with it's own share of challenges but can be 2000-3000 dollars cheaper per year, sometimes more, depending on if you use a generator a lot, size of your boat, ect.

As far as working towards better jobs, I'm still looking into that aspect of it, and fairly certain I can get a job I'll be happy doing while making decent money. We probably will be very very busy for the first few years of owning a boat and living aboard but it'll be worth it later on when we get to relax a bit more. Again, this is all very new to us so we're learning as we go what it will cost, what we can afford (We're looking at the $30,000 - $40,000 boat range). We're not getting anything fancy, just something to start. Someday we'll upgrade but we want to make it happen within the next couple years at least. We're hoping that we can get a boat next summer, or at the very latest, in 2019.

Yeah we're looking to get a 36' Trawler.

Two comments from the peanut gallery:

1. 36'...do you realize how small that is?
2. BandB just gave you rock solid advice. I may print that out and read it to my kids.

1. 36'...do you realize how small that is?
2. BandB just gave you rock solid advice. I may print that out and read it to my kids.

I realize it's pretty small but we want to start small and work our way up. Boats that size don't cost as much, both initially and maintenance wise. We're okay with doing a sorta "Tiny house" thing for a while.

You mention working from home. Now, there are some legitimate work from home "opportunities" but most that claim to be are scams. Even some that were a few years ago, no longer support work from home as Amazon has killed them. In fact most who work from home to sell products now do it on Amazon and Ebay. There are a lot of phone jobs available from home but typical pay is $9 per hour.

Now, there are also true telecommute jobs. Most of those require some high level of technical skills though. Others require going into the office one day a week.

I don't know if you know who Judge Mathis is, but he's a television judge and one thing he always preached to young people on his show is "Go to school and get a skill." Whether tech school or a specialty school, some skill. If you want to be able to repair boats, then develop that skill. You might be surprised at the demand for some skills. This is very difference from just going to school or even going to school for a degree.

You need a plan that includes where you want to go and how you intend to get there. That not only makes it more possible, but makes it more enjoyable knowing the ultimate payoff.

1. 36'...do you realize how small that is?.

A boating couple that we are friends with lived aboard an old 34 Mainship in Rhode Island for about 6 years. They both worked full time.
We visited a few times during the dead of winter...not for me but they enjoyed it.

My girlfriend and I are year round liveaboards in Essex, Ct.
We love it. A "can do" attitude is a must and it is well worth it.
Do you ever come down this way ? I could spend hours chatting about what I have learned. We are also in our 50's and work full time, but travel almost every weekend. Lets connect.

Boats are expensive to own and maintain. Seasonal slips are costly. Winter slips are cheaper put you pay for it in electricity

Now that TJM has offered to meet in Essex, let me also offer to meet up there. We lived aboard and cruised full time for two years. We cruised from Tampa, Florida to the Keys then over to the Bahamas for three months and then up to Maine for the summer and back to Annapolis.

Cruising/liveaboard is a little different situation than living and working. But maybe our thoughts and experiences would be helpful. I am also a pretty competent boat DIY guy and could give you my thoughts about finding work in that industry.

Joan and I are retired and live about an hour from Essex in NW Connecticut but would be happy to come down and meet you in Essex almost any time.

PM me if you are interested.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom