Old 11-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

City: Hudson, NH
Looking to meet a liveaboard in North East.

My wife and I are looking into starting the liveaboard life. We're from New Hampshire and are looking to meet up with some folks and pick their brains about living aboard. We'd love to take a cruise on a boat and maybe get some experience docking and doing maintenance. If anyone would be willing to meet with us please let me know. Thanks

NathanNoonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanNoonan View Post
My wife and I are looking into starting the liveaboard life. We're from New Hampshire and are looking to meet up with some folks and pick their brains about living aboard. We'd love to take a cruise on a boat and maybe get some experience docking and doing maintenance. If anyone would be willing to meet with us please let me know. Thanks
You have no experience? If that's the case don't expect to just jump in and start docking, handling or maintaining. Where are you looking to live aboard?

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #3

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: NOMAD
Vessel Model: 48' DeFever Trawler
Send a message via Skype™ to jwitzel
Hello,
Well I am not in the northeast but rather in Brunswick GA, but I know how hard it can be to connect with responsible liveaboard's as I went through this same search (unsuccessfully) 5 years ago before buying my DeFever 48 trawler. I am a full-time liveaboard and have been for the last 5 years now spending most of my time living on and cruising the east coast/Bahamas/Gulf of Mexico with plans to do Cuba/Mexico/Honduras/Belize/Guatemala next season.

I know I am out of your area but if I can answer any questions please feel free to email/text or call, I can also recommend/forward some good reading material that got me through the process if you are looking for a mid-sized trawler. BTW, I am normally a solo-cruiser (significant other has 1.5 years left before retirement) so I am fairly well versed at boat handling.

John
703-683-2029
john.witzel@gmail.com
jwitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
What boating experience do you have? How much time have you spent on boats and what size?

One of the first questions is whether you and your wife would be happy living in such a small space. Living on a boat sounds romantic, but there are some very practical issues to consider given the size of the living space. Even a large boat gets small after a few months. We love it, but itís not for everyone and not for every relationship.

Unless you have some experience handling and maintaining boats, a boat large enough to live aboard isnít the place to start.

My $.02.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #5

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
I don't live-aboard, but applaud your ask to connect with those who do in your effort to gain experience.

My only previous experience was from a 30' sloop over 20 years ago and [aviation] pilot training - neither of which helped me when maneuvering our trawler into our tight slip for the first time (two 90 degree spins - thankfully we bought a twin).

When we started our search a very nice couple who lives aboard half the year was kind enough to invite us to come tour their Ocean Alexander Mk1 and even took us out on a short cruise. The fuel filters had just been changed out so I got to help prime the engines to get them running - an invaluable experience on it's own. Since then we've kept in touch, even attending a OA rendezvous and meeting even more folks who love cruising and old trawlers. I have no doubt we'll be seeing them again next summer as we cruise the PNW.

Consider joining the Trawler Living and Cruising Facebook group and asking questions there, here and other online communities. Go to meet-ups and boat shows. Consider chartering a training charter (where a captain trains you on operations and systems, docking, navigating, etc) for a long weekend. They offer these here in the PNW out of Anacortes, WA which was our original plan before we found our trawler earlier than planned.

In the end, we all start at zero and learn along the way. Keep learning and you'll figure out what you want, what you like, what brands are for you, and layouts and sizes and systems work for you and finally what budget makes sense.

Then when you're ready you'll know a lot more then you do now.
Airstream345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Couple of great, supportive comments so far. Don't let people dissuade you from your research. And getting out on a liveaboard vessel with another couple is THE BEST WAY to get introduced to the lifestyle. If you lived out here in the PNW I'd be happy to share some experience. However, I'm sure you'll find like-minded individuals in your area. Good luck!
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Boston Area
You might want to consider getting a "weekender" type boat. By that I mean something small that you could spend a few days on. This will give you some practical, hands on experience in handling a smaller boat, start navigating, understanding the weather from a boater's perspective, and so on.

For example:
2000 Bayliner 2452 Ciera Express Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

A Power Squadron course might be something to consider as well. In addition to their general boating class, they offer:
Seamanship
Piloting
Advanced Piloting
Junior Navigation
Navigation
Cruise Planning
Engine Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Weather
Sail
Instructor Development

The nice thing about making it a transition as opposed to a leap, is that you have more options. You could be a summertime, weekend local boater for a while....you might find that you miss your hometown area, but don't want to live aboard all winter, so you keep the house/buy a condo/etc. Options are always a good thing.

So is expanding your horizons. Enjoy the process.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You have no experience? If that's the case don't expect to just jump in and start docking, handling or maintaining. Where are you looking to live aboard?
Looking at your other posts, I see you're looking in the NE. I think one of the critical questions for you to resolve together is winters on a boat in the water. Is it for you? If you don't find anyone here, I'd go walk some docks on cold winter weekends. Talk to those living there. That still won't answer the question as it will really depend on your tolerance of the conditions so you must really examine yourselves. For every happy couple living year round at those marinas, there's also a couple or family that tried it and after one winter decided it wasn't for them.

I think of us and what we could or would do as much as we love boats. I tried to think under what situation would we endure the conditions. If that was the only way we could own a boat, perhaps we'd persist. However, before we'd live aboard on a trawler, we'd live on land and just have a runabout for the warm seasons.

You're doing the right thing with your questions. Winter is coming. I'd suggest trying to meet any year round liveaboards you can. You've been told marinas that allow it in other threads. Go visit as it gets really cold, perhaps the first frigid weather and snow.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Marina del Rey
Vessel Name: Ho'okipa
Vessel Model: 2007 Selene 43
My wife and I was in your same position 2 years ago. We took a powerboat class, then went to our 1st boat show and bought our Selene 43. Call it fate - call it destiny, but we just jumped right in off the deep end. We have been taking private classes from a Captain. Yes, the learning curve is steep and pricey, but that's what makes it so fun.

If you can afford it, try not to buy a fixer upper.

~Lucky Chucky
Lucky Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Chucky View Post
My wife and I was in your same position 2 years ago. We took a powerboat class, then went to our 1st boat show and bought our Selene 43. Call it fate - call it destiny, but we just jumped right in off the deep end. We have been taking private classes from a Captain. Yes, the learning curve is steep and pricey, but that's what makes it so fun.

~Lucky Chucky
Lucky, was your boat in SD awhile back? It sure looks familiar, and I believe I was on it after the delivery captain brought it over from the E Coast?
Fletcher500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
We're going to start in Either New Hampshire, Maine, or Massachusetts. Ideally New Hampshire, however, dockage is extremely limited here.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitzel View Post
Hello,
Well I am not in the northeast but rather in Brunswick GA, but I know how hard it can be to connect with responsible liveaboard's as I went through this same search (unsuccessfully) 5 years ago before buying my DeFever 48 trawler. I am a full-time liveaboard and have been for the last 5 years now spending most of my time living on and cruising the east coast/Bahamas/Gulf of Mexico with plans to do Cuba/Mexico/Honduras/Belize/Guatemala next season.

I know I am out of your area but if I can answer any questions please feel free to email/text or call, I can also recommend/forward some good reading material that got me through the process if you are looking for a mid-sized trawler. BTW, I am normally a solo-cruiser (significant other has 1.5 years left before retirement) so I am fairly well versed at boat handling.

John
703-683-2029
john.witzel@gmail.com
Thank-you John! I'll definitely be in contact. My wife and I are in our mid 20s so we have to make sure we can still get to work, and live our life on our boat. We are pretty set on doing it! The difficult part is just getting that experience as you've stated.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
I don't live-aboard, but applaud your ask to connect with those who do in your effort to gain experience.

My only previous experience was from a 30' sloop over 20 years ago and [aviation] pilot training - neither of which helped me when maneuvering our trawler into our tight slip for the first time (two 90 degree spins - thankfully we bought a twin).

When we started our search a very nice couple who lives aboard half the year was kind enough to invite us to come tour their Ocean Alexander Mk1 and even took us out on a short cruise. The fuel filters had just been changed out so I got to help prime the engines to get them running - an invaluable experience on it's own. Since then we've kept in touch, even attending a OA rendezvous and meeting even more folks who love cruising and old trawlers. I have no doubt we'll be seeing them again next summer as we cruise the PNW.

Consider joining the Trawler Living and Cruising Facebook group and asking questions there, here and other online communities. Go to meet-ups and boat shows. Consider chartering a training charter (where a captain trains you on operations and systems, docking, navigating, etc) for a long weekend. They offer these here in the PNW out of Anacortes, WA which was our original plan before we found our trawler earlier than planned.

In the end, we all start at zero and learn along the way. Keep learning and you'll figure out what you want, what you like, what brands are for you, and layouts and sizes and systems work for you and finally what budget makes sense.

Then when you're ready you'll know a lot more then you do now.
Yeah we're looking to get a 36' Trawler. I've liked the idea of getting an Albin or Marine Trader. We're looking into getting a single engine diesel with a bow thruster. I just think the twin engines will be too expensive, even though they are great for learning on. Having no experience is definitely a challenge but we're willing to take on that challenge. I've been reaching out on here, Crusier forums and some facebook groups. Luckily most people in the community are kind and positive as they were once in the same... errrr boat.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Looking at your other posts, I see you're looking in the NE. I think one of the critical questions for you to resolve together is winters on a boat in the water. Is it for you? If you don't find anyone here, I'd go walk some docks on cold winter weekends. Talk to those living there. That still won't answer the question as it will really depend on your tolerance of the conditions so you must really examine yourselves. For every happy couple living year round at those marinas, there's also a couple or family that tried it and after one winter decided it wasn't for them.

I think of us and what we could or would do as much as we love boats. I tried to think under what situation would we endure the conditions. If that was the only way we could own a boat, perhaps we'd persist. However, before we'd live aboard on a trawler, we'd live on land and just have a runabout for the warm seasons.

You're doing the right thing with your questions. Winter is coming. I'd suggest trying to meet any year round liveaboards you can. You've been told marinas that allow it in other threads. Go visit as it gets really cold, perhaps the first frigid weather and snow.
Our long term plan is to spend summers up here and to go down south for the winter. We don't enjoy winters here, and are willing to brave some pretty cold boat days if that means getting us one step closer to living aboard and going down south. We have family up here which is why moving south hasn't been too much of an option for us, or at least not one we're look at. We may find that we like the south so much that we just stay down there but for now that's our plan.
We have been talking about going to marinas and looking to chat with people. If we do that, how would you suggest we go about finding people to chat with? Neither of us have been too social, and it's out of our comfort zones to just walk up and start a conversation with someone who looks like they are just doing their own thing. We're aware we're going to have to be more social doing this, and happy to do just that, but it's still a process for us.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Chucky View Post

~Lucky Chucky
Where did you take your classes? We're looking at classes at a place in Rhode Island.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #16
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Where did you take your classes? We're looking at classes at a place in Rhode Island.

I took my initial captains class at Confident Captain in Newport/Middletown RI. Definitely recommend.

I'm unclean on whether you plan to winter over in New England or just spend the warmer months. Probably the biggest challenge in NE is that even the marinas who leave dock in the water turn off the fresh water. And pumpout facilities are likely to be shut down too.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
We're going to start in Either New Hampshire, Maine, or Massachusetts. Ideally New Hampshire, however, dockage is extremely limited here.
Where are your jobs?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Search youtube, some good video's of young couples buying a boat with limited experience and cruising, now I know you are talk live aboard but its all related.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I took my initial captains class at Confident Captain in Newport/Middletown RI. Definitely recommend.

I'm unclean on whether you plan to winter over in New England or just spend the warmer months. Probably the biggest challenge in NE is that even the marinas who leave dock in the water turn off the fresh water. And pumpout facilities are likely to be shut down too.
Confident Captain is exactly where we are looking. We're looking into how much it'll cost for the powerboat courses. We plan on going down south for the winter once we're comfortable doing so. We still need to figure out what we're going to do job wise but we figure the lifestyle comes first so we'll figure it out.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Where are your jobs?
Our jobs are in New Hampshire but we're willing to find new jobs, and honestly plan on finding new jobs since we don't make a heck of a lot at the moment. Eventually I'd like to get into the boat repair field. I'm naturally mechanically inclined and it'll obviously be a very useful skill.