Looking to meet a liveaboard in North East.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of things jump out at me:

- I have a 36'er that we've already spent up to 3 months on at a stretch, and could easily live aboard. And still have room for guests.

- There is a HUGE need for marine mechanics and all kinds of boat workers. Fiberglass repair guys and canvas and vinyl shops have long waiting lists and turn away customers in our area. It's like a miracle to find a good, honest engine repair mechanic, and even marine electricians have plenty of work.

I didn't notice where you were in NH, but if you want to swing by the Portsmouth area and see a 36' you could comfortably live on (and a marina where you could write your own ticket as a boat mechanic) drop me a PM.

My girlfriend and I are year round liveaboards in Essex, Ct.
We love it. A "can do" attitude is a must and it is well worth it.
Do you ever come down this way ? I could spend hours chatting about what I have learned. We are also in our 50's and work full time, but travel almost every weekend. Lets connect.
Forgot to check this post a while ago. If you're still around the forums I'd love to connect at some point! Can we make it happen?

We are also in CT, Mystic to be specific. We are summer live aboards.
We will be north in late May for the summer. You are welcome to visit and pick what little is left of my brain.

PM sent

Live aboard family

Yeah we watch a few couples on youtube. It's a good inspiration and we've learned a lot but I know it's definitely different watching someone do it, vs doing it ourselves.

Hi
A YouTube liveaboard couple
Their channel is /was Boat Fam.
They moved aboard a '79 Albin 40 ,
And spent the summer cruising the Bahamas with 2 young boys.
That could be you.
Their boat was forsale ( circumstances changes) but you could do it too.
They will get back to boating later!
Cheers Warren

"Our long term plan is to spend summers up here and to go down south for the winter."

This will raise the 1st year cost dramatically , as you will need to find a vessel set up for wintering afloat , or purchase and install a complete heating system before it gets cold.

No, at an occasional dip to 0F or even +20F electric space heaters are out , esp if you have to pay for electric.

Obtaining fresh water and having sewage pumped all winter is also required , not many marinas are able to do this.

Good hunting!

FF is right. At a marina in Essex on the Connecticut River they have one dock for in the water storage and live aboards. The dock residents team up and hook up enough hoses to make the 100 yard run to the main office where water is available and fill their tanks. Some marinas have pump out lines to each dock but this one doesn't. But the marina office is near and well....

That area sees 10 degree temps a few times each year and many days where it doesn't get above freezing. That takes a diesel heater to stay warm. A couple of 1,500 watt space heaters won't do it in that climate. You might get by with a propane radiant heater during the day in the main cabin and electric at night. But you will be swapping propane tanks every week or so and your power bill will be high. Plus you will have condensate dripping from the ceiling due to the moisture from the unvented propane heater.

David

With costs in mind it would be best to only consider using a dock for winters aboard.

With modern concepts living on the hook, with a dink spot at a local marina for parking , garbage , mail , holding tank service and a water source can save 9/10 of summer dockside costs .

Few boats are set up to be self sufficient ,dock free, no noisemaker, , so this would be a major cost for the first year.

"Our long term plan is to spend summers up here and to go down south for the winter."

This will raise the 1st year cost dramatically , as you will need to find a vessel set up for wintering afloat , or purchase and install a complete heating system before it gets cold.

No, at an occasional dip to 0F or even +20F electric space heaters are out , esp if you have to pay for electric.

Obtaining fresh water and having sewage pumped all winter is also required , not many marinas are able to do this.

Good hunting!
I do not agree with this assessment at all. We are spending our second winter aboard a Defever 44 in Galesville, MD where overnight temps often are 20 degrees and sometimes well into the lower teens. We get along just fine with electric heaters. Highest electric bill last winter was $225 which included domestic hot water. In the in-between seasons when no heat or A/C is required, our electric bill is $65-$75.

I do not agree with this assessment at all. We are spending our second winter aboard a Defever 44 in Galesville, MD where overnight temps often are 20 degrees and sometimes well into the lower teens. We get along just fine with electric heaters. Highest electric bill last winter was $225 which included domestic hot water. In the in-between seasons when no heat or A/C is required, our electric bill is $65-$75.

I that a monthly or quarterly electric bill?

Thats a Resonable monthly cost , I pay about the same $200+ all year for a small house and mine does not move or have great water views!
Cheers Warren

You can do alot of insulating in areas to keep the boat warm at a reasonable cost. However, you must understand that condensation is your enemy so air flow is a must. Try to minimize adding moisture to the air inside the boat otherwise it will condense on the cooler walls, puddle up and cause mildew to form in bad places.
We minimize boiling water for cooking and microwave more, we grill outside instead of on the stove top. After you take a shower on the boat try and open the hatches to evacuate excess moisture, of course you will loose some heat but it is better than mildew / rot. Small 12 volt dc fans help move air around. Put products like dri-dek under mattresses to give an air gap to reduce moisture. Make sure your mattresses are mold - mildew resistant.
Stuff insulation in your engine vents and cover them with plastic. The plastic reduces the cold air intake by stopping convection or air flow.

Clear shrink wrap applied to all of your windows is a huge help. It eliminates condensation and keeps your windows sills clean and dry.
I have made panels for all of my ports and hatches out of Reflectix, the aluminized bubble wrap.

Back
Top Bottom