Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
One other factor in looking at various states. Florida, California, Washington have something very much in common. Their largest population centers are on the coasts. South Florida metropolitan area has 6 million people, nearly the same as Atlanta but Atlanta is far inland. That's more than the three largest in NC, none of which are on the coast. But what one loves another strongly dislikes. It's all a bit like saying the shopping in Charlotte isn't as good as NYC. Well, neither is the shopping anywhere else.

You are certainly entitled to your views, Tom. I just don't share them. Obviously, I chose South Florida for boating or I wouldn't have moved. Sometimes when we're too close to places we think they're perfect, but other times we see all their blemishes. We lived near Charlotte and people would talk about what a beautiful city. We loved it as we lived on Lake Norman and not in town itself, but I grew up in the city. As a long term resident I knew the ugly, the bad and run down parts of the city, the areas that were bad when I was a kid and haven't really improved.

I have an older cousin who moved to Cary when it was considered "out in the country." I'm sure you will attest, not so today.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
I live in Fort Lauderdale and when I cruise to Maine, I know I won't see megayacht marinas capable of handling 300' yachts.
Never been to Maine I take it? Or at least Belfast or Boothbay Harbor to name two?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There are many who love NC and hate South Florida because they don't like the crowds. They're mostly not huge fans of NYC either. Comparing places rather than appreciating them on their own gets dangerous.
True....One of the reasons I moved from (overcrowded) Atlanta, to relatively rural Eastern NC. One thing we enjoyed during our early season cruising on the Pamlico was Never seeing another boat. It was like the river/sound was our own private retreat. Naturally that's picked up some since Memorial day.....
Old 06-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
For Johnny who started this thread and then it got way off track: Sonny no longer has that trawler that was mentioned in the second or third post for charter. It was a Mariner 37, a nice cruising boat that would have been perfect.

I guess that means there are no trawlers available for charter in NC.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Never been to Maine I take it? Or at least Belfast or Boothbay Harbor to name two?
No, I've never been to either and I wasn't aware of marinas in either that could handle 300' boats. Now not owning a 300' boat, I've not really searched for that. Maine is probably a couple of years away. Want to go there and then on up and around and down to Montreal.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #26
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've considered renting out skiffs off my dock. Similar to leasing out a trawler, just a smaller scale. I ran this by my marine insurance guy and he laughed so hard he spit beer all over. I asked him if a bug got in his beer and he laughed again. No bug.

Apparently it is difficult to arrange insurance for such an endeavor. But it is being done in other regions, so apparently not impossible.

Anyone know how the boat insurance is handled? Leasee obtain their own??
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Ski - these guys insure a bunch of commercial marine operations..including the company that used to own the assistance tower I work for and they do everything from tug/barge, salvage, environmental cleanup work and much more.

They either cover the local boat rental places or probably know who does or how.

Home Page - J. Byrne Agency, Inc.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #28
Guru

As psneeld pointed out, there are commercial insurers who handle charter boats routinely. A very large percentage of larger boats are made available for charter. The most important thing is never rent your boat out under any circumstances without that insurance. Same thing to renting a home out as a vacation home. Insurers are quick to ask those questions when processing a claim.

I have a friend who just had a minor auto wreck. When the insurance claim representative called them, while Uber was never mentioned by name, the first half dozen questions or more were all designed to get an admission if the car was being used to transport passengers for pay. So, automatically State Farm representatives are asking those questions to see if they can deny a claim and I imagine other insurers are doing the same.

The Charter business is just a tough financial equation. People aren't willing to pay what it takes to make it successful. A lot of charter operators think they're doing fine because they're not looking at the depreciation or replacement costs. The location of charter boats must be somewhere people travel and are not cost conscious. Virgin Islands is a great example. The reason they work in the PNW is people are willing to pay what it takes to cruise to Alaska. San Francisco has tourists spending large amounts of money.

Most of the Caribbean charter companies don't own boats, but sell them to individuals who then put them in Charter. That's what NW Explorations does and Grand Banks is trying to promote through them. Chitwood is trying the same thing.

In most places then Charter doesn't work well enough for a charterer to buy boats to put into it. It does work for others to own and put into charter with them sometimes simply because they're getting some income for the times they can't use the boat.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #29
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
It will be very difficult if not impossible for an individual to obtain the insurance he needs to rent his 35' trawler to the public. Insurers want to make sure that the chartering company is substantial so they will do at least some due diligence of their customers and to spread the risk among many boats. It usually takes 10 or more boats in a charter fleet to make the insurance worthwhile.

Don't ever take money for the use of your boat other than sharing of expenses among friends. Taking money automatically makes it commercial use and your insurance will not cover any loss. Not for damage to the boat, but also as the owner you may be liable for claims from third parties for property or personal injury and those potentially bigger claims won't be covered. The potential for losses is astronomical, so don't do it.

Homes and car rentals have their own commercial limitations and each state or insurance company may cover or not cover different things. But the boat situation is pretty universal: money = commercial use = no coverage.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My last policy allowed up to 5 charters a year, no additional anything.

I don't remember if it could be bareboat..probably not...but lets not make this scarier than it is....the right companies insure lots of combinations all the time.

Ski I think is talking a skiff fleet...not a personal vessel.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
My last policy allowed up to 5 charters a year, no additional anything.

I don't remember if it could be bareboat..probably not...but lets not make this scarier than it is....the right companies insure lots of combinations all the time.

Ski I think is talking a skiff fleet...not a personal vessel.
Really not hard to insure. And certainly very inadvisable without insuring.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #32
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
If you are in Charlotte, the SC coast is probably closer!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
If you are in Charlotte, the SC coast is probably closer!
When we were in Charlotte, we just boated on the lake. The good thing is that at that time we had no idea how wonderful coastal and long cruising could be. When all you've done is the lake, then it's pretty tremendous. Charlotte to Myrtle Beach 175 miles, 3 1/2 hours but can be much more than that. Wilmington NC is 200 miles and also 3 1/2 hours. But here's the one that surprises most. Charleston SC 210 miles but only 3 hours 20 minutes as interstate all the way. Our only trips to the beach were to Myrtle Beach. Our family (we adopted them as our parents and sister) is there.

For us, the lake was 100 ft and 2 minutes. We'd figured retirement would be in the distant future and debated the coast vs. the Tennessee River.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Wake Forest, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
For Johnny who started this thread and then it got way off track: Sonny no longer has that trawler that was mentioned in the second or third post for charter. It was a Mariner 37, a nice cruising boat that would have been perfect.

I guess that means there are no trawlers available for charter in NC.
I tried calling about it a few weeks ago, and the gentleman i spoke with said that "The guy you need to talk to about that isn't here right now, but if you leave me your name and number I'll have him call ya back."

Never heard anything back.
michigandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #35
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
He probably sold it. It's not only been available for charter, but for sale the whole time too.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Wake Forest, NC
I found a GB 42 available for bareboat in New Bern if the OP is still looking.

michigandon is offline   Reply With Quote