Jackson Creek Deltaville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Cruising to Deltaville today. I would like to go up to the anchorage in Jackson Creek.
The channel and anchorage look a bit skinny on the charts.
I know we have a number of people on here who berth at Deltaville, or perhaps have used the anchorage.
Is this a suitable approach and anchorage for a 53 footer drawing five feet?
The alternative is Fishing Bay but we would be anchoring in 15+ feet there, it is not as protected and is a lot further away from town.

The Jackson Creek entrance to Deltaville is quite doable with 5' of draft. The chart says 7.5' but some years ago I went aground smack in the middle of the channel at low tide with a 6' draft sailboat. There was slightly deeper water about 10' to my east when I grounded so I was able to easily kedge myself off.

The channel is well marked. Just be sure to make the hard 90 degree turn to the west when you are almost on shore to stay in the deep water. Look at the Google Maps or Active Captain satellite image before you go in. It clearly shows the deep water.

You can anchor off of the boatyard/marina or you can go further in to the west and anchor on the sw side of the peninsula (Jackson Creek-1 on AC) where it is a little quieter.

David

Last edited:
The Jackson Creek entrance to Jacksonville is quite doable with 5' of draft. The chart says 7.5' but some years ago I went aground smack in the middle of the channel at low tide with a 6' draft sailboat. There was slightly deeper water about 10' to my east when I grounded so I was able to easily kedge myself off.

The channel is well marked. Just be sure to make the hard 90 degree turn to the west when you are almost on shore to stay in the deep water. Look at the Google Maps or Active Captain satellite image before you go in. It clearly shows the deep water.

You can anchor off of the boatyard/marina or you can go further in to the west and anchor on the sw side of the peninsula (Jackson Creek-1 on AC) where it is a little quieter.

David

Thanks. Yes I looked at the satellite and read the cruising guide as well as Waterway and AC. Will try it going slow. Unfortunately we will be there on a falling ride.
We are aiming for the south branch anchorage as there is a public dock for the dinghy and a shorter walk to town.

We are anchored in Jackson Creek now. Came in Wed. at half-tide, 4'9" draft with no problems.

Thanks. Yes I looked at the satellite and read the cruising guide as well as Waterway and AC. Will try it going slow. Unfortunately we will be there on a falling ride.
We are aiming for the south branch anchorage as there is a public dock for the dinghy and a shorter walk to town.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in town but West Marine, Ace Hardware and the grocery store are all more than I would want to walk from any landing on Jackson or Broad creek. A mile to two at least.

We are anchored in Jackson Creek now. Came in Wed. at half-tide, 4'9" draft with no problems.

Saw you anchored in front of us. Had no AT&T so couldn't say "hello" yesterday.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in town but West Marine, Ace Hardware and the grocery store are all more than I would want to walk from any landing on Jackson or Broad creek. A mile to two at least.

There is a public dock which is just a three block walk to town. However when we took the dingy over there we found no steps and couldn't get off. So we went over to Deltaville Marina and then had to walk the one mile in and back. They did offer us their courtesy vehicle but we needed to stretch our legs.

Briney, we passed you at anchor this morning as we left the Charleston City Marina. Tried you on 16 but guessing you had everything shut down.

Briney, we passed you at anchor this morning as we left the Charleston City Marina. Tried you on 16 but guessing you had everything shut down.

Not shut down, non-existent. No VHF on board. Next time dig out your megaphone. Thought everyone knew...

Menzies- Sorry we missed meeting you again...Guess you're headed back to Jax? We'll probably be staying there a month or two.

Maerin-Where are you these days? Anyplace close to Charleston?

In JAX?Let us know and we'll have you over for a bite and a beer. If you anchor near Queen's Harbour you can even dink into our outside floating dock.

Sounds good...thanks for the invite. We'll get back in touch.

Menzies- Sorry we missed meeting you again...Guess you're headed back to Jax? We'll probably be staying there a month or two.

Maerin-Where are you these days? Anyplace close to Charleston?

Middle river, just hanging out

It is 2.5 miles each way, from the public state dock to the only grocery store in town

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom