Old 09-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Spruce Head
Vessel Model: Sabreline 36
Intracoastal Water Way here we come ready or not

I have not been on the forum for a long time but have a need now to tell you what is happening. In two weeks we leave from Maine to travel the intracoastal water way to the Keys. We have very few hours on our trawler or on the sea. I hang my head in shame that we would tackle such a trip with so little experience. We are not going it alone we are travel with the guides of two very experienced boaters they have circumnavigated, sold their sail boat and are now traveling by trawler. Having them to guide us is priceless but... My husband has spent countless hours preparing the boat for the trip and fixing all the things that we didn't know about the boat when we bought it. I think that friends are worried about us and think we are insane. Since none have you have a vested interest in keeping the truth from us I would like to know if anyone else has done this and how brave/crazy we are for taking this on? I am scared to death and trying to overcome the fear. I grew up on a fresh water pond so I am not a stranger to water. I have been around the ocean for over 30 years but not on it. Any thoughts about this? Thank you Tricia

Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
New thread Mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT54 View Post
I have not been on the forum for a long time but have a need now to tell you what is happening. In two weeks we leave from Maine to travel the intracoastal water way to the Keys. We have very few hours on our trawler or on the sea. I hang my head in shame that we would tackle such a trip with so little experience. We are not going it alone we are travel with the guides of two very experienced boaters they have circumnavigated, sold their sail boat and are now traveling by trawler. Having them to guide us is priceless but... My husband has spent countless hours preparing the boat for the trip and fixing all the things that we didn't know about the boat when we boat it. I think that friends are worried about us and think we are insane. Since none have you have a vested interest in keeping the truth from us I would like to know if anyone else has done this and how brave/crazy we are for taking this on? I am scared to death and trying to overcome the fear. I grew up on a fresh water pond so I am not a stranger to water. I have been around the ocean for over 30 years but not on it. Any thoughts about this? Thank you Tricia
Tricia

Thanks for the update I would start this on a separate and new thread I think you will get better advice and input from all the Tfers

sounds like a fun adventure and if the mods see this maybe one of you guys could move it over

Old 09-14-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. TT. A bit of apprehension is natural when embarking on a new adventure. "Scared to death?" Unfounded IMO. Your vessel is prepared and your husband appears to have the knowledge to effect further repairs when and IF necessary. You've bought tow insurance (I hope) and you're traveling with two other "experienced" boaters. What's the worst that can happen? Who knows. What's the best that can happen? I forecast beautiful waters, new sights and sounds and gorgeous sunsets that you will experience after non eventful days whilst heading south and some of the best meals enjoyed.
"I think that friends are worried about us and think we are insane." Get new friends!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. TT. A bit of apprehension is natural when embarking on a new adventure. "Scared to death?" Unfounded IMO. Your vessel is prepared and your husband appears to have the knowledge to effect further repairs when and IF necessary. You've bought tow insurance (I hope) and you're traveling with two other "experienced" boaters. What's the worst that can happen? Who knows. What's the best that can happen? I forecast beautiful waters, new sights and sounds and gorgeous sunsets that you will experience after non eventful days whilst heading south and some of the best meals enjoyed.
"I think that friends are worried about us and think we are insane." Get new friends!
Yeah - What RT said... only, I recommend keeping good friends that are concerned for you... but, do make new friends too on your beautiful pleasure boat journey.

Be good, be happy, be safe - Enjoy!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I am with Alan.

Start a new thread so we can help you if needed, but most of all we like pictures and would love to share in your adventure!!!! Welcome.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Tricia-before you go, many of your friend do think you are insane. But, as you make your way, send them pictures and descriptions, they slowly begin to realize that they are the insane ones. Suddenly you will be getting calls and emails about visiting, about taking a few days with you on the boat, or meeting you at your next port of call. As Fr. George has learned, nothing brings out friends you never knew you had like a boat, especially when you are on it enjoying a great trip! Nothing for you to be afraid of, a healthy respect yes, but afraid no. You will soon find yourselves being able to handle everything just fine and enjoying it! Have a great trip!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Ann's family and friends thought she/we were crazy too. As long as the boat is seaworthy and equipped with the proper safety gear and the right owner's attitude, and you keep away from having a schedule, things should be fine. Like Art suggests, we are pleasure boaters, in that order. Don't let your experienced friends push you into weather and sea conditions you are uncomfortable with. Hearken them back to their very first voyage.

Have fun and bon voyage!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
+1 to what everybody else has said.

Take your time, pick your weather, trust your instincts, enjoy the journey.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
At this time of year you will be accompanied by several hundred other boats making the trek from Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Ontario and Quebec. It's great trip but not really a big one. It' just a bunch of day trips strung together.

Enjoy !
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
IMO, no need to be "scared to death". You will be on the ICW in sight of land most of the time-- I did not find it to be all that treacherous when I did my initial cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Texas, and I'm a newbie know-nothing.

Like others said, don't be in a rush and don't have a schedule (I fully understand this now).

Post up on TF when something breaks or confuses you-- I guarantee you someone on this forum has already been there and done that.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Sorry for the thread drift but are Sabrelines and Sabres both the same company?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Take a look at ...
Primer For First Timers Heading South
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
You're definitely the best kind of crazy. Frankly, I envy you. Sounds like a great trip to me. Enjoy it!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #14

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Enjoy your trip! Do not rush or schedule too much. Active Captain will be your new best friend. "Honey what's the name of the next drawbridge?" The guidebooks were -,are good for picking locations that you might want to see. Watch out for Canadian navy, 100's of pleasure boats. :-)

Don't miss the Dismal Swamp!!! Today it the only option, stuck drawbridge on the Virginia Cut
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #15

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
It has been said. The previous posters are dead on. It is a pleasure trip, no deadlines, when in doubt be careful. Have done the trip from South eastern Ma to central FL and back several times, over a 35 year period. Always someone telling me I am crazy . Never heard that from the Fl. side. Relax, enjoy it is a wonderful trip.
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
One of the members of this forum (CharlieNoble) has a blog that I've read several times. It's really a great read. He makes the trip up and down the coast several times, with several different boats. mikepanderson.blog.com

Check it out!
Old 09-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #17
Guru

City: gulf coast
Great trip. Many people are doing it.

Cruising to me is not about getting to some distant location though that seems to become an obsession for some. Cruising is about a series of relaxing short trips. If you don't get to the keys this time so what?

Just remember the most dangerous thing to have on a boat is a schedule. Don't make very long days out of it. If the others want to rush let them go. Take your time and enjoy the trip. A marathon of 10 hour days one after the other wont be fun.

The only thing that concerns me is following some old hands who may want to race ahead. Following experienced people is not always the best idea.

I suggest a good discussion with them about what their daily schedule will be.

Every day is just a day trip, not a thousand miles, just a short trip to the to the next stop. After you connect all the stops you will be in the keys.

I really encourage stopping for a day in many locations and exploring.

So my advice is take it slow and enjoy expelring all the new places.

Don't push the weather if it is very windy or foggy wait.

The guys that have to hire someone to bring the boat back home are the ones who don't follow the above advice
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Good call on the separate thread. Can't wait to see your progress. As I am on the west coast the only ICW is the big big pond out here called the Pacific Ocean, so the ICW is an interesting way to travel.....no wilderness, nice marinas and very few if any bars to cross......
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We are leaving CT for Florida on 10/4. What's your boat's name? Ours is Magic. Perhaps we'll cross paths. It's the beginning of our 5th trip. You'll settle in and enjoy it real soon. We have a rule we follow; if the wind is 20 kts or above we stay put. Of course there are other weather considerations but that for us is a big one. Have fun, and if you feel uncomfortable with a weather prediction just relax for a day or two.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #20
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
TT, As you pass through Miami on your way to the Keys, stop in for a visit. I offer free Cuban Coffee to my Trawler Forum friends. The trip up the Miami river in a dinghy is a lot of fun.

Tags
intracoastal waterway, key west